“Great location/rooms tired”

The Westbury Mayfair
Ranked #420 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I've stayed at the Westbury on business many times and have always loved the convenient
location in Mayfair - close to so much including tube stations, restaurants, museums, Hyde Park isn't too far for morning runs. But, the hotel needs to pay some attention to the room finishes which feel tired. If anything, the scratched/dull brass number panels in both elevators by reception should be replaced immediately as they were in the same condition a year ago and I noticed them then - it's the 1st thing guests see while going up to their rooms - if the brass panel can't be looked after - what about the rooms?! Chrome/silver was wearing off the handles and spigot and shower fixures and chenille blanket at end of the bed was worn and in need of replacement. These seem like minor details, but for a hotel of this caliber - these are things that shouldn't be overlooked for these prices. Housekeeping was attentive and quick w/requests like hairdryer, iron, adapter. Unfortunately, ended up in a room w/adjoining door - so could hear the guest in the next room and her wake up calls in the morning. I will most likely return on business due to the location, but would choose another hotel if on holiday. I would expect more updated room decor/fixtures for these rates.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank HKA111
Write a ReviewReviews (1,518)

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I booked this hotel as a weekend treat for my wife and it did not disappoint. The distance from the station to the hotel was a short walk, the location was ideal in relation to oxford circus,old bond street and other attractions. The Polo bar was lovely as was the choice of food and drinks inside the hotel.

Staff were very friendly and polite,house keeping were excellent. All my wifes needs were taken care of to ensure she had a relaxing break.

A luxury hotel ideally set in a central location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on your recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am delighted to hear you and your wife enjoyed an overall pleasant stay, noting that the location was ideal, moments from the tube and attractions of Bond and Oxford Street, and that our staff were friendly and accommodating to your needs. I am also glad that you were able to visit our trendy Polo Bar, offering a decadent selection of food and beverage. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next London stay.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had originally booked Kingsley Hall close to Shaftsbury Avenue to be near our theatre for the evening. We went to check in and were given an 'upgrade' to the hotel the Westbury. Told it was 5 star and we would free taxi rides there and back etc. The other hotel was much less expensive than the Westbury so perhaps worth noting that there maybe some people only paying £120 a night! For that price is was fabulous...
The room was small but nice enough - not in need of modernisation but the bathroom was not 5 star. Shower over a bath....but fine and clean. My bathroom was not tired at all, just small and fairly basic. Nice cushions and soft furnishings, big tv with interactive buttons.
The reception staff were polite and helpful, no one helped us with bags - but we didn't need help. There is a doorman who will call you a taxi if you are unable to raise your arm or voice!
The Polo bar was quite a nice atmosphere but pricey. Even so, the weird take on a whisky sour got left behind! Breakfast was free with our 'upgrade' from the other hotel and was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at the Westbury Hotel in Mayfair. I am pleased that you had the opportunity of staying with us, after having being relocated from our sister hotel, and that our classic luxury accommodation and service were both to your liking. I hope you will revisit us in the near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were given a room here as the sister hotel we had originally booked had a problem with their computer system & was overbooked. We were looking forward to our stay but like other reviewers were rather disappointed. Our room was nice enough but very small & the bathroom could certainly have done with some attention - the door & bath panel being covered in peeling paintwork & again, extremely small.

We found the staff very condescending & unfriendly, with the exception of Val at the concierge desk, who could not do enough for us.

I have stayed in much nicer hotels (some 3 & 4 star) & would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed 4 nights. First night was dreadful. Incredible noise from air conditioning -staff suggested we move rooms at 11.45pm! Staff member suggested we were too sensitive to noise! We were again advised to move next morning - this seemed to be a regular occurrence at the hotelas another guest was also moving due to noise. Bedrooms small and considering the cost and 5 star rating did not provide even tea/coffee making facilities and Wi-fi was charged as extra. Breakfast was very expensive - we paid £26 for cornflakes, orange juice, cold toast and tea. Overall staff were not friendly. For us this was not a 5 star hotel -have stayed in better 3 star. This much needed break was a great disappointment to us. Would not recommend even if the location was excellent.

Room Tip: Would not recommend.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maureen H
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for having failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you found the room you were initially assigned to be noisy, and that you felt our staff were unhelpful in dealing with your complaint. We take great pride in our customer service, so this comes as quite a surprise to me. in regards to your breakfast complaint, we offer our full English Breakfast at £26, or alternatively, if pre-booked directly through us, we offer it at a discounted rate of £15 pp. If you wish to discuss the above issues in further detail please do not hesitate to contact myself at ta@westburymayfair.com. I hope that your recent visit will not be the lasting impression of the Westbury Hotel, and hope you will consider revisiting us.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Yes must agree with the other reviewers, Location is its Jewell but the rooms are in need of some modernising Bathrooms very Tired!! Staff ok on a good day, can be a bit brash and stand off ish.
Bar still has got it, but very expensive, so entilled to be good.
Breakfast Ok but came out Luke Warm i do think it a marvell to ever get Hot Toast brought to the table, is that just me or is it not humanly Possible!!

Room Tip: Aways on the Top with the Balcony with doors, but they are not sectioned off so other guests could j...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alfie L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the benefits of our ideal location in the heart of Mayfair, just steps away from the shops of both Bond and Regent Street. I am however, sorry to hear that you found our bathroom facilities to be dated , and assure you that we do regular renovations throughout the property, so that we maintain our high 5-star standards. Moreover, I am disappointed that your breakfast failed to meet your expectations, and hope that this experience will not be your lasting impression of the us. I hope to have you revisit us again in the near future, giving us the opportunity of changing your opinion of the Westbury Hotel.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel claims to be 5 star but apart from it's location I would say it is only a 4 star on a good day. The room was ok but the bathroom was very small and the tiles were mouldy. We had the delight of returning one evening to find a dirty sponge the cleaner had left on top of my toiletries. The corridor outside the room was very noisy with doors banging constantly and every morning it sounded like the cleaner was having a fight with a Hoover and the Hoover won. Breakfast was ok - a bit cold and each morning something different was missing. Definitely not up to the standard the hotel claims to be.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with a review on recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations as a 5-star hotel, as you noted that your room was not in par with our high standards and that you experienced noise disturbances coming from the hallway. I was also quite surprised to learn that you were displeased by the cleanliness of your room as our housekeeping are diligent in maintaining the highest standard of cleanliness in all guestrooms and throughout the property. That said, if you would be so kind to contact myself directly at ta@westburymayfair.com and provide me further details of your stay (i.e. room number) I would like to investigate the matter further to understand what went wrong. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,