“Wish I had enough money to stay here every time I come to London...”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #13 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Anglia
“Wish I had enough money to stay here every time I come to London...”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This is an oustanding hotel. The staff are exceptionally pleasant and helpful, arriving at the hotel one is made to feel instantly at home. It is very well located and presented, (lovely flower arrangements)but small enough to feel relaxed. Our car was parked for us and retrieved when we left: a real boon in central London.

Our room was not large, but every effort had been made to make it comfortable and it was well furnished and decorated. The bed was large and comfortable and the hospitality tray was restocked when the bed was turned down in the evening which was welcome on a late return.

We were here for a wedding in the hotel itself, and this was well organised and the wedding room appropriatly presented. Other guests had also much enjoyed their experience of the hotel, I heard nothing but praise.

1 Thank Robin Goodfellow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
peoria, az
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We arrived at The Chesterfield Mayfair and the staff helped us with our luggage, gave us a welcome card and also brought snacks to our room in the evening. The service by the staff was impeccable. We had a delicious breakfast every morning in the hotel restaurant . Our room was immaculate, the bed was very comfortable, the bedding was outstanding and we had free internet service.

The doorman helped us with information about sightseeing and set up a sightseeing tour guide for us.

The only problem we had was that the safe, in our room, was not bolted down and someone could have walked off with it.

We would definitely stay at the Chesterfied Mayfair again and because our experience was so good, we will stay at their affiliate hotels also.

1 Thank dipsy1120
somerset
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Have just come home from a night in the Chesterfied Mayfair London. (1st October 2009)

From the moment you walk through the door, you are treated like royality. Everyone looks happy and pleased to do things for you. Your bags are whisked to your room. The rooms are so spacious and elegant. Everything is fine quality, beautifully clean. It really is a home from home.

The beds are huge and so, so comfy. The linen is crisp and cold and the throws velvets and mohair. All sheer luxury. I watched tv in the bath!!! Free canapies were delivered to our room and we had a free couple of sherries before going to dinner !

The next morning the breakfast was outstanding - everything tasted delicious and the choices were fantastic.

You could not possibly choose a better hotel for luxury, service, comfort, location and most importantly value. It is worth every penny. Even my husband was impressed and he has stayed everywhere in the uk and abroad on business.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Olympia, WA
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We had the Garden Room (junior suite).

Pros - The Chesterfield is very generous with the amenities. We always had bottled water (still and sparkling) at no charge, wi-fi was free, and there was always something sweet on our pillows after turn-down. Big, fluffy robes, too. The staff was friendly, polite and helpful (with one exception). The hotel is clean, crisp, and perfectly located for exploring London whether by cab, tour bus, or on foot. Lots of great shops and restaurants close by. While not great, the hotel's own restaurant is good. Our room was mostly quiet (with another exception).

Cons - The hotel is old and our windows were leaky. The room always smelled of fried food. Trucks with back-up beepers did something in an adjacent alley every morning starting at 4AM. Also, an adjacent building renovation project fired up at approx 6:30AM every day. We asked to be moved twice, but were blown off by a polite but unconcerned desk clerk.

Pro from a con - Because of the noise and smell, we decided to check out a day early. When the manager heard this she literally ran into the lobby apologizing and asking us what she could do to change our minds. She even offered to move us into a full suite for the night. We'd already booked - and paid for - a room at The Ritz, so we left anyway. Shortly after we got home, we got an email from the Chesterfield with another apology, an assurance that the desk clerk was receiving extra training, and the offer of a free night in another junior suite should we return. Now THAT is customer service.

Despite the problems, we really liked the Chesterfield and I don't hesitate to recommend it. We'll go back if we can.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OlympiaSteve
shanghai
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I am a Chinese and I chose this hotel from the website before my UK trip. So I hope my comments would be helpful to you. The hotel is in a very good location, minutes to many tourist places. The rooms inside have lovely traditional English decoration. and they are quiet which is very important for travellors. The breakfast in it is also lovely with various fruits choices and many hot dishes. I loved the porridge with cream. They also offered whisky on side for the porridge. Interesting to me, as a foreigner. One more advantage of the hotel is free access to the Internet. This is the only 4-star hotel with free Internet service in the central London that I could found.

I will definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank abbeyanny
Minneapolis, Mn.
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Recently stayed at the Chesterfield for seven nights. I decided to upgrade to a junior suite based on reports of other rooms on the small side. The upgrade did not come cheap, but I think it was worth it based on a longer seven night stay. I stayed in the Berkely suite which is on the second floor. The suite was large enough though not particularly well-designed in that there was no way to watch TV and eat a dinner unless you moved some of the furniture around. The bathroom was small but clean and had two showers though one was not even large enough to turn around in. The room was on the street side and I could hear some street sounds, but was never bothered by this. It was also difficult to figure out how all the light switches worked. Overall, however, the room ended up being just fine for my purposes. I tried room service several evenings and was greatly impressed by the service and the quality of the food. Highly recommend the grilled salmon and the lamb chops. As mentioned by others, the staff is very friendly and efficient and more than willing to help with any problems. In summary, I can highly recommend this hotel even though it does have its quirky side.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Stayed for 6 nights. We arrived early but was able to check-in right away. Graciously greeted by the doorman and our luggage quickly whisked away. The staff was professional--quite attentive without being intrusive. Room was very pleasant and clean and the size was quite adequate, especially for London. Enjoyed the different goodies left on our pillows every night. Room service was prompt. Location is perfect--it is in a very quiet, residential neighborhood close to Green Park Tube and many attractions. Shepherd's Market is nearby where there are many choices of restaurants. There is a small Tesco and a bigger Sainsbury's within walking distance--great for picking up snacks. I would have given a perfect rating of 5 except for two things: my morning paper not delivered 2 days in a row--I had to remind the staff twice. The staff was very apologetic each time. Also the price of their full English breakfast--£22. But again with its great location, many restaurants closeby where you can get a FEB for less than half the price. Otherwise, still enjoyed the stay. It was a beautiful hotel and would not hesitate staying here again.

1 Thank bucchick