“Perfect Mayfair Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Perfect Mayfair Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

We wanted a very English/Mayfair experience and this beautiful hotel provided exactly that. The room was warm and spacious accompanied by an elegant bathroom. The location was perfect literally a minute walk to Berkley Square. The service from all staff was excellent and the English breakfast we had each morning fresh and delicious. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew_from_Perth
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to know that you had the true British experience you wished for at our traditional boutique hotel. My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to hear that you found your room to be warm and tastefully decorated and for the bathrooms to be well appointed. Breakfast in Butlers Restaurant is a great start to the day and I am glad that you found it to be fresh and delicious.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Oliver Raggett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Centereach, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

This hotel is magnificent. Rooms are bright and cheery. Staff is more then helpful. Area attractions are in walking distance. Taxi service is right in front when necessary. Restaurant is top quality. Concierge service staff is exceptional, answering all questions with expert

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Robert H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the bedrooms to be well decorated and comfortable. I am glad that you took advantage of our Mayfair location and walked to the major attractions. Thank you for your kind words regarding the helpful staff that you experienced; especially the concierge team who were able to assist you in planning your time in London.

I look forward to you joining us again at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the near future.

warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

I took my Grandmother to London for a short trip to celebrate her birthday and stay at The Chesterfield. Having stayed at red carnation hotels before including The Milestone in London I had high expectations and I am pleased to say I wasn't disappointed. From the moment we checked in the staff made my Grandmother & I feel very welcome. We had been upgraded as it was a special occasion which was much appreciated and she was accompanied arm in arm to our suite which made her feel very special. We also ate lunch in the restuarant which was delightful and again the staff were very friendly and attentive. Upon arrival back at the hotel later in the day we arrived in the room to find a birthday card and small birthday cake for my grandmother which made her day and I would like to express my gratitude to all the staff for helping make her stay in London a special one. Every single member of the team was polite, helpful and very attentive, a credit to the red carnation group - with special mention to the front of house/reception team. Last but not least the breakfast was also delicious, I would highly recommend staying here and will be back again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank bazjosmith
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that after staying at some of our sister properties you chose to join us as The Chesterfield Mayfair to celebrate your grandmother’s birthday. We enjoy making our guests feel at home with us and I am thrilled that you felt warmly welcomed to the hotel and that you appreciated the larger room for the special occasion.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you joined us in Bulters Restaurant for lunch and that you found the food to be delicious. We take great pride in our attention to detail here at The Chesterfield and I am glad that you appreciated the added touches of birthday treats for your grandmother. Thank you for your kind words regarding the friendly and helpful service that you experienced through out your stay, I will be sure to share your review with all of my team here.

As always, I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

CHESTERFIELD MAYFAIR HOTEL, LONDON, ENGLAND
The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel (CMH) in the Mayfair borough of London, a Red Carnation boutique establishment, was selected by my wife after a long Internet and personal networking process. The CMH is nicely located for walking to venues or to access transportation, tube or bus. It is on a quiet semi-residential street only a few blocks from Berkeley Square, a pleasant place, and less than that to a nice pub. If you want to walk around and get your head swiveled by passing Ferraris, Maseratis and Lamborghinis, then this is the neighborhood for you! I saw more of them in a week than in my entire life. Someone(s) in the neighborhood has serious money.
My wife can be compulsive as she sets out to plan a trip, in this case her birthday present. No, I was deemed unable (incompetent?) to do it and no, I cannot divulge which birthday. The last time we had been in London was 43 years ago, which does not exactly help anyone find a nice, well-located hotel in today’s world. However, the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel is one such abode though it is not idyllic. I actually like that because my reality is not replete with perfection. Some of what I am about to relate is affected by the cogent realization that we are more night than day people whereas nearly three quarters of the world’s inhabitants are morning people. For this reason, we rarely go traveling with tours and generally eat breakfast shortly after most others have finished lunch.
We received an unusual and heartwarming email from the CMH asking us for certain of our preferences, including what kind of pillows we would like to have. I wrote in at the bottom that we would like a quiet room, too (as am burdened with a lifelong sensitivity to noise and unexpected sounds, with hearing that used to be like a dog’s, literally). I can tell you from personal experience that humans should not hear things dogs hear. Alas, we were put into one of the noisiest rooms in the hotel. Well, if the room is facing active building construction and it’s adjacent to the double doors at the end of the hallway that conceal the service elevators, mornings are not quiet. Though it might be better on construction-free Sundays, there is no respite from daily hotel service, a mixed blessing. Now, if you are a morning person, you are out of the room and blissfully unaware of this impending auditory onslaught. Later on, we learned that this hotel is on someone’s published list of quiet hotels in England (a list I have not seen). After several days I spoke to the hotel’s assistant manager and negotiated an increased rate for a larger, quiet room, a junior suite. Our room (201) was nicely appointed but not spacious, though it was not tiny as European hotel rooms can be. We looked forward to the change, which occurred after a delightful, cultural day and evening out. Well, we came back after midnight to a smaller room (at the higher negotiated rate!) facing the same construction, which I specifically asked to avoid. Being an astute and patient reader, you already surmised that this was not going to work. The hotel’s night manager recognized the problem in its entirety and we wound up in one of the deluxe hotel suites at the same rate as our original room, by 3 AM. No problem for us, da night people.
Before going further, the above is a good introduction to the behavior of the hotel’s staff and management. They were always gracious, friendly, resourceful and tried to be helpful at every turn. Obviously, retraining needed to be done with some of their people, which the hotel’s general manager told me was already in progress. It was good to learn that the assistant and night managers communicated effectively with the general manager (the boss), who found us at high tea in their impressive restaurant. He already knew all the details, including all the rooms we were in. In fact, he offered to pave the way for us should we wish to stay in other Red Carnation establishments, elsewhere. I could sum it up by saying we are most pleased with the staff’s behavior, recognizing and admitting to their problems, applying generous fixes and at all times behaving in a most friendly and supportive manner. I believe it is largely due to the hotel’s staff that clients return to the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel time after time. It is easy to spot the returnees if you are near the front desk; the staff knows their names on sight as they are registering.
The Chesterfield Mayfair’s room(s): our first room (201) was traditionally decorated but not ostentatious, of pleasing size but not quite large enough to feel spacious. The walls were upholstered, a very nice touch we noted throughout. The bathroom was well appointed with plenty of counter space, something desirable and not to be taken for granted. The tub serves for the shower, as well, and the tiled floor is marginally protected from shower spray by a hinged (or fixed) glass panel that sits on the outer edge of the tub; it’s a clumsy and not terribly effective solution. The shower head is directly overhead, unfortunately without the presence of a shower wand. You might find it an interesting challenge to rinse those of your parts below the navel . The tub differs from American bathtubs in that it is deeper and considerably narrower. Its high walls make entry and exit more of an athletic feat than you might expect. Furthermore, there are no grab handles, inclining me to believe this just won’t work for some folks. Our rooms (including the deluxe suite) did not have a shower stall, which raises the question as to whether any rooms in the Chesterfield Mayfair are so equipped? Having only a European style bathtub for both tubbing and showering could be a deficit for very big and broad persons as its narrowness will really put the squeeze on. We were pleased that the rooms had individually controllable, constantly running HVAC. We sleep in coldish temperatures and like a monotonous, low grade background fan noise, rather than power misers that stop and start all night long (that drive me nuts). Closet and storage space were generous in our rooms but not in one we reviewed.
The Chesterfield Mayfair’s hallways were exceedingly pleasant, including the main, central stairway, which is adorned with oil paintings, lovely carpeting and an impressive brass banister. We used that stairway much more than the pair of elevators, also rather nicely done. My wife openly wondered if we should consider doing something similar to our home’s staircase; not. The painting near the main floor is a wonderful copy of one we had just seen in the Wallace collection… or is the one in the Wallace the copy? I absolutely love the way that man is cradling his dog’s head in his right hand. The stairway complements the feeling of comfortable elegance and coziness that the hotel projects, something quite unobtainable in large, busy, noisy hotels.
The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel’s restaurant, Butlers Restaurant, should not be missed, even if you elect to stay elsewhere. The head chef, Ben Cohen, is London born and trained, which would incline you to think his food is ordinary Brit stuff; it isn’t. We ate two meals there plus a high tea with a London couple who frequent Browns high tea but had not, yet, done it at Butlers. They felt Butlers Restaurant was at least as good as Browns, if not a shade better, which is high praise as the latter has a solid reputation. Incidentally, the word on Butlers Restaurant’s high tea is spreading so you had better plan ahead with a reservation for a weekend day, though it is not as booked on weekdays. If you can get it, shoot for a table in the solarium. The restaurant is comfortable, well appointed and cozy, craftily using mirrored walls to give you a sense of openness while avoiding the feeling you are eating in the middle of a football field. You are welcome to choose whichever kind of football field gives you the best image. Butlers’s staff is very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly, always willing to call over their young (and very tall) sommelier for questions they cannot field. Of particular interest to us was the daily, baked entrée specialty served out of a large, rare, silver server that was wheeled up to our table. We sampled it both days and were very pleased. The presentation on the plate and freshness of ingredients was darn good to excellent and always delightful. Whereas we ate in some very good restaurants during our stay, we opined that none were better than Butlers Restaurant and perhaps not even on a par. Bon Appetite!
In closing, a brief comment about visiting London, England, and staying at the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel; yes, we do recommend you give this hotel a serious look-over if London is on your goto list. And if London is not on your goto list, put it there. We were impressed with what London had to offer and the way in which it did that. London is more cosmopolitan, international and expansive than any city we have experienced (yes, more than New York City or Paris; ). London is laced with easy to use subways (the tube) and truly impressive taxi cab drivers. Other than standard historic landmarks and Queen E, London is vastly different and improved in most categories that matter to visitors as compared to our last trip, in our opinion. We were unfailingly impressed with the friendliness of Londoners (contrary to what we read) who volunteered their help at every turn, whether on the street as we pored over a map or in the tube lugging luggage. On a daily basis we met people from all over the world but mostly from the mainland, especially France and Italy. That London is still an upbeat work in progress is testified to by the (many) construction cranes that dot (plague?) its skyline and the sense of upbeatness that Londoners project. Don’t miss today’s London (2014) or its cabbies, none of whom use GPS and all of whom seem to be chatty. All of London is between their ears, unlike Parisian cabbies who are apparently insecure about getting to the corner without a GPS display. London cabbies are charming, pleasant and downright impressive, especially for someone such as me who is genetically devoid of a sense of direction. After due consideration, it may not be a good idea to bring up the 2014 World Cup with anyone in London, cabbies included.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leachim7
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this thorough review of your recent visit to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that your wife selected The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel after searching the internet and that you were delighted with your overall stay with us. I am pleased that you found our Mayfair location convenient for your stay in London and that you enjoyed surveying the many luxury cars found in the area. Whilst I am disappointed to learn that your original room did not live up to your expectations; I am glad that, along with my team, we were able to resolve the problem and move you to one of our beautiful Junior Suites, where I am pleased to hear you slept soundly.

We take great pride in our attention to detail here at the hotel and I am thrilled that you found the air conditioning and storage facilities to be excellent in the rooms. The heritage of the hotel is reflected in our traditional English decor and I am delighted that you appreciated the artwork throughout the hotel. Butlers Restaurant maintains the same English theme and I am pleased that you found the food to be delicious; I will be happy to pass on your kind words to my Executive Chef Ben.

It is fantastic that after many years you have returned to the city and fallen in love with it once again; from the helpful residents, to the accessible tube system, to the friendly cab drivers. Thank you also for your compliments regarding the service that you experienced here at the hotel; we really do appreciate when guests notice our dedication.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our usual hotel was booked out and we decided to try the Chesterfield based on reviews on Tripadvisor. What a find. A boutique hotel which originally comprised three large houses, everything was exceptional. Service was personalised and wonderful.

The dining area was gorgeous. Had a high tea which turned out to be the best ever. Waiter kept plying us with more cakes, scones, sandwiches, in case we weren’t big enough. We couldn’t eat everything and he packed up the remainder in a beautiful presentation box finished off with a real red carnation (their emblem).

Book a room with breakfast as their breakfast is superb. The breakfast array was amazing – where do you find oatmeal with a side of whiskey! Or alcohol soaked prunes. Fab Eggs Benedict, Florentine or Royale. Most of the breakfast items are ordered from the staff and are beautifully presented.

Can’t say enough good things about this hotel. It’s their attention to detail which makes them a cut above every other hotel we have stayed in London. Even the decorations in the rooms and positioning of figurines and paintings and quality of antiques to be found. Everything seems to be carefully thought of to ensure a unique experience in the surroundings.

They just went the extra mile in every respect. Bed was sumptuous, bed linen high quality and monogrammed. Room had adequate room and all luggage could easily be stored away. High class bath accessories, soft soft towels. Nothing was too much trouble, ask for extra tea bags in the room and you receive a dozen. Fresh milk – no problems (reminded me of one hotel that tried to charge $15). Best in-room breakfast ever. Way too much to eat. Wifi A+ and free – important these days.

Location great and walking distance to dangerous shops in Oxford Street, Kensington and Knightsbridge and also the touristy spots of Buckingham Palace, St James, Piccadilly to name a few. Plenty of restaurants around the area although hard to resist the Chesterfield’s own offerings. Supermarket just around the corner.

Service is above and beyond – can’t recall all the names but all staff are fab without exception. They truly make you feel welcome and important. Old-worlde concierge values which belong to a trusted but fast-vanishing tribe. One even knew where to buy a perfume I have been trying to hunt down for two years.

Can’t rave about this hotel enough. Will definitely be back. Well done Chesterfield and staff. On second thoughts need to move in permanently.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ploce
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

hank you for taking the time to write your fantastic review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you chose to stay with us after reading other reviews on TripAdvisor and that you had a memorable stay. I am delighted that you had the chance to join us for afternoon tea during and that you found the sandwiches, cakes and pastries to be delicious. We know how important it is to start your day off with a hearty breakfast and I am glad that you visited Butlers Restaurant during your stay to enjoy our Eggs Bendict.

My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to read your kind words regarding the attention to detail in the room and the comfortable bed linen; we love to make our guests feel right at home whilst they are staying with us. Thank you for your compliments about the outstanding service offered by all my team during your stay. We really appreciate when our guests notice our dedication and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to everyone.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

We stayed at the Chesterfield in Mayfair on the way to and coming back from Africa. The hotel is lovely, the staff was wonderful and tried very hard to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We had 4 days in London prior to flying to Capetown and when we came back for an additional 4 days before flying home to Los Angeles it was like coming home. Mayfair is a great location, we would most definitely stay at the Chesterfield again. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 4th floor or above if you are there on a weekend.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marthamusic
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a brilliant review from your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that your stay at the Chesterfield Mayfair was a memorable experience and everything was to your satisfaction on this holiday break. I am delighted that our Mayfair location was ideal for your few days exploring London. Thank you for taking the time to recognise the dedication of all the staff here; I will be sure to pass on your comments onto all the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel..

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

The Chesterfield was once again our most comfortable base for exploring London and southern England for 12 days. This is the perfect location for walking, accessing Green Park Tube, exploring all of the wonderful areas of London, yet being able to return to a delightfully quiet and safe neighbourhood for the evening.
The hotel staff are exceptionally obliging and a delight to chat with over a leisurely breakfast or a late night glass of wine in the bar. The rooms are beyond comfortable and truly elegant.
An added bonus is the hotel's proximity (3minutes) to Shepherd Market. This is a small three street area filled with great pubs and terrific, very small bistros that deliver great service and wonderful foods of all varieties. All in all, the Chesterfield is the perfect London location.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim900245
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your terrific review of your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable twelve night stay with us and that The Chesterfield was an ideal base for your travels. I am glad that the hotel’s location; tucked away in a quiet corner in Mayfair was convenient for you and that you enjoyed exploring the restaurants and pubs of Shepherd’s Market. Thank you for high lighting the excellent service that you experienced here at The Chesterfield, we really do appreciated when guests notice our dedication.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.