“A gem of a find - attention to detail amazing”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,064 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“A gem of a find - attention to detail amazing”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our usual hotel was booked out and we decided to try the Chesterfield based on reviews on Tripadvisor. What a find. A boutique hotel which originally comprised three large houses, everything was exceptional. Service was personalised and wonderful.

The dining area was gorgeous. Had a high tea which turned out to be the best ever. Waiter kept plying us with more cakes, scones, sandwiches, in case we weren’t big enough. We couldn’t eat everything and he packed up the remainder in a beautiful presentation box finished off with a real red carnation (their emblem).

Book a room with breakfast as their breakfast is superb. The breakfast array was amazing – where do you find oatmeal with a side of whiskey! Or alcohol soaked prunes. Fab Eggs Benedict, Florentine or Royale. Most of the breakfast items are ordered from the staff and are beautifully presented.

Can’t say enough good things about this hotel. It’s their attention to detail which makes them a cut above every other hotel we have stayed in London. Even the decorations in the rooms and positioning of figurines and paintings and quality of antiques to be found. Everything seems to be carefully thought of to ensure a unique experience in the surroundings.

They just went the extra mile in every respect. Bed was sumptuous, bed linen high quality and monogrammed. Room had adequate room and all luggage could easily be stored away. High class bath accessories, soft soft towels. Nothing was too much trouble, ask for extra tea bags in the room and you receive a dozen. Fresh milk – no problems (reminded me of one hotel that tried to charge $15). Best in-room breakfast ever. Way too much to eat. Wifi A+ and free – important these days.

Location great and walking distance to dangerous shops in Oxford Street, Kensington and Knightsbridge and also the touristy spots of Buckingham Palace, St James, Piccadilly to name a few. Plenty of restaurants around the area although hard to resist the Chesterfield’s own offerings. Supermarket just around the corner.

Service is above and beyond – can’t recall all the names but all staff are fab without exception. They truly make you feel welcome and important. Old-worlde concierge values which belong to a trusted but fast-vanishing tribe. One even knew where to buy a perfume I have been trying to hunt down for two years.

Can’t rave about this hotel enough. Will definitely be back. Well done Chesterfield and staff. On second thoughts need to move in permanently.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ploce
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

hank you for taking the time to write your fantastic review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you chose to stay with us after reading other reviews on TripAdvisor and that you had a memorable stay. I am delighted that you had the chance to join us for afternoon tea during and that you found the sandwiches, cakes and pastries to be delicious. We know how important it is to start your day off with a hearty breakfast and I am glad that you visited Butlers Restaurant during your stay to enjoy our Eggs Bendict.

My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to read your kind words regarding the attention to detail in the room and the comfortable bed linen; we love to make our guests feel right at home whilst they are staying with us. Thank you for your compliments about the outstanding service offered by all my team during your stay. We really appreciate when our guests notice our dedication and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to everyone.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Oliver Raggett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We stayed at the Chesterfield in Mayfair on the way to and coming back from Africa. The hotel is lovely, the staff was wonderful and tried very hard to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We had 4 days in London prior to flying to Capetown and when we came back for an additional 4 days before flying home to Los Angeles it was like coming home. Mayfair is a great location, we would most definitely stay at the Chesterfield again. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 4th floor or above if you are there on a weekend.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marthamusic
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a brilliant review from your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that your stay at the Chesterfield Mayfair was a memorable experience and everything was to your satisfaction on this holiday break. I am delighted that our Mayfair location was ideal for your few days exploring London. Thank you for taking the time to recognise the dedication of all the staff here; I will be sure to pass on your comments onto all the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel..

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2014

The Chesterfield was once again our most comfortable base for exploring London and southern England for 12 days. This is the perfect location for walking, accessing Green Park Tube, exploring all of the wonderful areas of London, yet being able to return to a delightfully quiet and safe neighbourhood for the evening.
The hotel staff are exceptionally obliging and a delight to chat with over a leisurely breakfast or a late night glass of wine in the bar. The rooms are beyond comfortable and truly elegant.
An added bonus is the hotel's proximity (3minutes) to Shepherd Market. This is a small three street area filled with great pubs and terrific, very small bistros that deliver great service and wonderful foods of all varieties. All in all, the Chesterfield is the perfect London location.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim900245
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your terrific review of your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable twelve night stay with us and that The Chesterfield was an ideal base for your travels. I am glad that the hotel’s location; tucked away in a quiet corner in Mayfair was convenient for you and that you enjoyed exploring the restaurants and pubs of Shepherd’s Market. Thank you for high lighting the excellent service that you experienced here at The Chesterfield, we really do appreciated when guests notice our dedication.

Aarschot, Belgium
Reviewed August 22, 2014

The Chesterfield Mayfair is truly an amazing hotel.
I have stayed here as a solo traveler in June, bc I had an event to attend in London .
The location is perfect, in a quiet street in Mayfair within walking distance of parks, restaurants (such as Scott’s) and shops.
The staff and service are outstanding. From the doorman, the people at reception , the breakfast service, every single employee knows how to make you feel welcome and special. You can see that they love their job and their hart is in it.
The rooms are lovely and cozy, bathrooms are well equipped. The internet is free and works well.
There is enough and good quality tea provided in the rooms (without great biscuits).
The breakfast is part a buffet, while cooked breakfast is ordered, thus very fresh and just like you want it.
The bar is again very cozy and the food is excellent.
I used to go to the Montcalm whenever I went to London for a private visit, however as of now, I will go to the Chesterfield Mayfair

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathleen3200
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide this fantastic feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair and that you felt well looked after during your stay. My Executive Housekeeper will be thrilled to hear that you found the rooms to be immaculate and well appointed, especially the complimentary tea and coffee making facilities. We understand how important WiFi is for our guests and I am pleased that you appreciated the complimentary high speed access.

I am glad you had the opportunity to join us in Bulters Restaurant for breakfast and that you found the breakfast to be plentiful and varied. Our Terrace Bar is ideal for an evening drink and some snacks and I am pleased that you found it to be relaxing. Thank you for your kind words regarding the excellent service that you experienced during your stay; I am delighted that my team made you feel welcome and special and I will be sure to pass on your thanks to them.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel

Brighton
Reviewed August 21, 2014

First time we've stayed at The Chesterfield ( we have usually stayed at their sister hotel) and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
The room was lovely and cool (such a relief – we’re not used to heating!), quiet and extremely comfortable. My husband often doesn't sleep well in strange beds but he had two wonderful nights’ sleep (as did I!).
The room was clean and spacious and well equipped. We really enjoyed the turn down service which many hotels seem to have abandoned now.
For the first time ever, we had breakfast in our room both mornings and it was delicious. My husband particularly liked having the tomato ketchup and brown sauce provided. Alice, who brought our breakfast up on the first morning was lovely – friendly, chatty and helpful – and remembered our name when she saw us by the lift later – amazing! A young man brought breakfast on the second morning and he was also very nice (although maybe not quite so many extra touches such as asking if we wanted the plate covers removed etc).
The ladies on reception were all extremely helpful and friendly and the doorman was brilliant – directing us, loaning us an umbrella, and generally making us feel very special guests.
When we left, three men fell over themselves to take our luggage out and pack it in our taxi – it is so nice to have that special treatment!
Good central position - and perfect for Buckingham Palace (just across the Park), theatres, shopping etc.
Wish we could have stayed longer! And am now counting the days until we can return!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you chose to stay with us after being so impressed with one of our sister Red Carnation Hotels. My Executive Housekeeper will be thrilled to learn that you found our rooms to be immaculate and well appointed and that you slept soundly in the comfortable beds. We take great pride in our attention to detail here at the hotel and I am glad that you appreciated our turn down service.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy breakfast from the comfort of your own room and that Alice made sure that you had everything you might need. We invest highly in the training of our staff and I am happy to hear that you experienced our professional and welcoming staff throughout the hotel; I will be sure to share your kind words with all of my team here.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

We went for afternoon tea for my friends 8 year old daughters birthday. I cannot enthuse enough about the whole experience! The food was lovely, the hotel was charming, but most of all, the staff were amazing! They really made the experience wonderful for us and we felt that there wasn't anything that they wouldn't have done for us!! Well done to all the staff that served us on our special treat xx

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your afternoon tea experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you chose The Chesterfield Mayfair to celebrate your a special birthday. My Executive Chef will be glad to hear that you found the selection of food to be delicious, afternoon tea is indeed such a treat. I am delighted that the staff were able to add to the occasion and that their passion and enthusiasm helped make it a memorable visit for you.

We look forward to you joining us again at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Our experience at the Chesterfield Mayfair was amazing! We spent six nights, and each one was memorial. We would recommend the Curzon junior suite. The very professional staff was always available to assist with dining reservations and thearte tickets. The dining room in the hotel was just brilliant. The food and the service great. Location is ideal, being convenient to sightseeing, shopping, parks, restaurants, and theatres. We hope to return to the Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.

Room Tip: The Curzon junior suite was perfect.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to know that you had a memorable six night stay with us and that The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel has left such a lasting impression on you.

My Restaurant Manager will be thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience in Butlers Restaurant and that you found the food to be delicious. I am also glad that you found the staff willing and professional and that they added to your time at the hotel; I will be sure to share your review with all of my team here.