“Central and great service”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #16 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is based just off the Green Park tube station and a short walk from Buckingham Palace. So wonderrfully central. In general the service in the hotel was excellent. The rooms was a little small but probable fairly normal for London. We were offered a King size bed which I now think probably means a bigger suite, for an additional 60 pounds a evening. My only disappointment was that you can have breakfast in the conservancy (which was the room that was the deciding factor when we booked). We managed to have the high tea in this room which is well worth trying. Although the breakfast room has a lovely few of the English Union 'gardens' we didn't really rate the buffet so ate breakfast out - there are plenty of options just up the road. We didn't try their dinners but enjoyed the Footrunner pub just up the road. The doormen and conceirge services are excellent and the hotel gave us vouchers for a gym up the road. An excellent choice would go there again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for your great review of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel

It gives me great pleasure to know that you found our central location so convenient for your stay in London, close to Green Park tube station and Buckingham Palace being a short walk away. We always try to accommodate our guests and I am sorry to hear that you were not able to have breakfast in the conservatory on this occasion. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our afternoon tea and that you found the service in the hotel to be excellent. The Chesterfield Mayfair is affiliated with Fitness First and I am glad you got a chance to try out the gym just a short distance from the hotel, which is complimentary for all guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Oliver Raggett

Write a ReviewReviews (3,426)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. From the minute my daughter and I walked in through the door to the moment we walked out (wish we hadn't had to leave to be honest) we were treated like royalty. On our arrival we were greeted at reception and asked if we would like to leave our suitcase until we returned from our shopping trip and when we got back it had been taken up to our room. We've stayed in some lovely hotels and some not so lovely but this was by far the BEST hotel we've been to. The walls were suede and the bed had a faux fur throw on and dainty cushions. The bathroom was small but perfectly formed with all the pampering creams and shampoos you could wish for and two fat cosy bathrobes hanging on the door. We made ourselves a lovely pot of tea and sat and took it all in. We had booked into the Butler restaurant and had the pre-theatre menu and it was amazing. We were made to feel very special and the service was spot on, no one was constantly coming to ask if your food was ok because they already knew it would be. In the evening we had drinks in the Terrace Bar and had a pianist playing in the background. We slept soundly as there was no noise what so ever from anywhere which meant a great deal to me as we always seem to get a noisy neighbour. In the morning we went down for a delicious breakfast and then sadly we had to pack and leave, even as we stood to check out we were asked if we'd like to leave our case there and collect it later but it would have meant backing up on ourselves or we would have done so.
I would tell everyone to visit this hotel and expect to be wowed as we were and we loved it and will defiantly be back again and again, thank you to every one there for making our stay special

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam W
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you and your daughter were treated like Royalty with us at The Chesterfield Mayfair. We were happy to store your luggage upon arrival for you and to bring it to your room for you, knowing that you would need free hands to carry all of your shopping bags! My Executive Housekeeper will be delighted to hear that the quiet neighbourhood and the comfortable beds allowed you to have a great night’s sleep. I am sure you needed it after shopping all afternoon.

I am delighted to hear that you found the pre theatre menu amazing and the service that you experienced to be of a high standard. There is no better way to wind down after a busy day in London then by enjoying the live music from our piano player and relaxing with a drink in The Terrace Bar.

I look forward to welcoming you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel itself is in a great location in a quiet location in Mayfair, but within a short walking distance of shops, pubs and restaurants.
Our room was perfect with everything needed for a 3 night stay including comfy bed, nice shower, aircon, TV etc.
However the thing which was really good about the hotel is the staff who were all excellent. From a cheery "good morning" from the cleaning staff, the bar staff, to the front desk staff, everything felt just right, very professional but with a real friendly feel about it. Special mention to the concierge people who were always more than helpful in offering advice and even made the effort to speak Italian with my girlfriend when they found out she couldn't speak English!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be in a great location, on a quiet street yet close to Mayfair’s fantastic range of shops, restaurants and pubs. My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to hear that everything was perfect in your room for you and that you had a great night’s sleep in our comfortable beds. Thank you for your kind words about the high standard of service that you received. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all the team, especially the concierge team for their Italian speaking efforts!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Let's start with the positives because they are important. The location is fantastic. There is a reason why Mayfair sits where it does on the English monopoly board. The hotel precinct is quiet (for inner London) and elegant. Berkley Square (no nightingales unfortunately) is just around the corner. So is the Shepherd Market, which has a great range of eateries and other stuff a visitor might need. Green Park, St James Park the West End theatres and Soho are all handy. The tube station and buses are within comfortable range by foot. There may be better locations for a stay in London but I have have not found one in my half dozen or so visits. The second positive is that it is not unreasonably expensive. However, the frustrating thing is that it could be so much better. The rooms are variable with respect to layout and wifi. We had to move rooms because the wifi kept dropping out. Very frustrating and not helped when the person they sent to look into it insisted they never have wifi problems. This was plainly wrong as the person who moved us assured us that the wifi was much better on this floor (which it was). The first room also had a layout problem that meant that if a person was working at the desk it was impossible for another person to get from one side of the room to the other because the bed was so close to the desk. There is also lack of attention to detail. When we arrived they asked if we wanted a morning newspaper. We said yes and it duly arrived the next morning. However, there was no newspaper after we changed rooms - presumably the request had not been noted against the new room. No big deal - especially when the newspaper they provide is The Independent which has sunk to unimaginable depths. However, not what you would expect of a first rate boutique hotel. There is also a certain anonymity about the place. Staff are friendly and helpful enough but we were there 6 nights and never got the sense of being recognised in a personal way. The decor is period and in keeping with the locale but rather dull. The bar is dark and downright depressing. So, if you want a very convenient and comfortable enough hotel that does not cost an arm and a leg and are not too fussed about detail or ambience, this one will do the job. However, if wifi is important to you, when booking make this very clear so you get a room where the wifi is strong. If on the other hand you want a special hotel experience and plan to spend a fair amount of time in your room and in the hotel, you can probably do much better - especially if you are willing to spend more.

Room Tip: Wifi is variable.
3  Thank Robert255068

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you found our central Mayfair location so convenient for your stay. The Chesterfield benefits from being close to so many of London’s beautiful green parks, the West End and Soho, as well as being within walking distance to Green Park tube station. Thank you for your comments regarding the inconsistent wifi that you experienced and for bringing the matter to my attention. I will be sure to address this with my IT Manager, who is working on rectifying the problem to avoid any further inconvenience to our guests.

We take great pride in our attention to detail at The Chesterfield Mayfair and I am disappointed to hear that your newspaper was not delivered after you moved rooms. I have personally spoken to my Reception Manager who will ensure retraining is carried out. Personalised service is very close to our hearts here at The Chesterfield Mayfair. I greatly appreciate your feedback on this and am sorry to hear that on this occasion you felt you were not recognised in a personal way. I am glad that you found us to be reasonably priced and the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I do hope that we will be given the opportunity to restore your faith in The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

everything was wonderful.the staff was really helpful;sent an email and then called my wife who was arriving separately.room(we had the chesterfield suite)was very large and beautifully decorated.very quiet.no outside or through the wall noise.the shower was a little small.had to stand outside to set the water temp.excellent breakfast.
the concierge was very helpful with advise on dining,confirming resevations and making suggestions on where and how to do things.
took underground from heathrow to green park station and then short walk.not a great idea if you arrive early on a weekday,because train loaded with work commuters.also,at green park there are no escalators so you have to carry bags up and down stairs.
shepards market around corner had many nice pubs and shops'
greigs restaurant is very good for english food,but service slow.
took city tours dinner cruise.best event of the trip.very good meal and we saw everything you.d want to see along the river.
did city bus tour starting at green park station.can get on and off.got off to do the eye.when you buy your ticket,they tell you when you can get in line to board.ignore this and get in line right away.nobody even checked our tickets except to check us in.

Room Tip: look for 3 for 2 suite deal
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly, especially Concierge for helping out with reservations and suggestions on how to enjoy London. My Executive Housekeeper will be delighted to hear that you had a great night’s sleep and that you found the room to be beautifully maintained. I am sure that your fellow Trip Advisor users will find your description of the area to be very helpful as well as your ideas on how to enjoy the sights and attractions of London.

I look forward to welcoming you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

In celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary and our first visit to London, I chose this hotel because of the high rating on Tripadvisor , We were not disappointed! I found the location to be absolutely perfect amongst beautiful residential townhomes and small restaurants. It was walking distance to shops, parks, restaurants, bars and many of the attractions. The staff were very friendly, their concierge service assisted me in making restaurant reservation in advance. The bar makes a superb Mojito!! The Tea Service at the hotel was special treat. The Chesterfield Jr. Suite was beautifully appointed and spacious. We found the whole experience in London absolutely perfect!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for brilliant review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted that you chose to spend your wedding anniversary with us and that we were able to make the occasion memorable for you. What better way to celebrate a special anniversary than with cocktails in our Terrace Bar. I am glad that you found the hotel’s location so convenient for you, with so many of London’s attractions only a walk away from the hotel’s doors. Thank you for your kind words regarding the high standard of service you received throughout your stay, I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

You can not do better in terms of location if you want to be near the shopping, the parks or the business district of Hedge Funds (Mayfair)
Staff is very friendly, bar is well staffed, bar tenders are knowledgable and make you feel special. Breakfast is all you would expect and restaurant was also good enough. You get free wifi and can probably negotiate an upgrade if you are not there at the peak holiday season. My room was (after upgrading) big enough, but i have not seen their regular single room, so no comment here. Basically, all you need without any hassle. You get what you pay for. Clearly, as always, you can get a cheaper place but I doubt there are a lot of better hotels for what you pay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair.

I am pleased that you found us to be in the perfect location, near the major shopping areas and parks as well as Mayfair’s business district. My bar manager will be happy to hear that you found the bar staff knowledgeable and well trained and that they made you feel at home in the Terrace Bar, having somewhere to relax is important after a day in London.

As always, I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.