“Good One”

GreenLeadersGold level
amsterdam
“Good One”
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Its a great hotel, excellent quality service and wonderful location.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ebrd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Nice lobby, good location to Oxford Street and Selfridges etc., Staff nice enough but not 5 star exceptional. Rooms are very small compared to similar hotels like Marriot Edgeware Road. Room service is very expensive. I think the 1/2 bottle of wine in the mini bar was about £20!!!! Overall a good location, but unless your company is paying I am not sure this is the best option in the area. Checked for good rates on getroomscheaper.com but the hotel prices seem to range significantly by £130 to £250 depending on when you are staying so do check other hotels in the same area to get the best rate.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Milano
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The hotel is situated in a good area if you are there for tourism.
Staff is polite and nice, especially at the bar in the evening.
Rooms are clean and confortable.
The only thing is that at Breakfast they are probably understaffed during the weekend, we had to wait more than 15 minutes for 1 cappucino.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We Stayed for four nights from Sept 9 - 13th. We reached hotel at 7.30am in the morning . After 20 hours flight you are so tired you just want to go to your room & rest. Receptionist was so helpful, that we got our room by 9.30am. We were very happy with the service.

Excellent Location. Just five minutes to Oxford Street. Breakfast in the hotel is very good. Worth the money.

Room was very clean. Quite location. Selfridges food court is just five minutes from the hotel. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 20suma
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2009

The hotel was OK, but not great. The food (breakfast) was particularly weak, not much choice, and rather plain. The room was small and "old" The location is great, close to everything, and that was important to me.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Anton262
Bedford, UK
Reviewed September 27, 2009

September 2009 – this was our second stay at this hotel (first stay was Feb 2008) and again it was for a weekend’s trip to London for the theatre and exhibitions. It is in an ideal location for a visits to London (5 minutes from Oxford Street and Tube stations).

Staff are always helpful and couteous.

This time we had a Business Class room (406) and again it was comfortable and well- appointed (iron + ironing board, safe) – we particularly liked the coffee machine.

Our package included breakfast which is good – plenty of variety from the healthy options (plenty of fruit) up to the full English. Once seated, we were never rushed, even though it was extremely busy.

The one (major) irritant was the ridiculous basin plug. To fill the basin you have to raise the plug and to empty the basin you lower the plug. This (to my mind) is counter-intuitive. The plug is immediately below the tap so the incoming water has a tendency to push the plug down and so allow the water out. Once you have managed to fill the basin (usually after several attempts) because the plug is high in the basin it is not easy to use. If you scoop water out to rinse your face (say) and you create too much turbulence or hit the plug it goes down and the water empties out. We had a more normal system in the room of our earlier stay.

Overall a good hotel for Visiting London.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GOMCP
Wall, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Firstly let me tell you about reception. I am in a good place to judge as it took me 3 attempts and 1 hour before I finally got a room.

When I arrived I had to wait for 10 mins to check in as there was a queue which was not surprising given that I was checking in at 7pm which is normally a popular time. However when I got to the desk the concierge without acknowledging me went over to the receptionist and started arguing with her about a taxi he had been asked to call for a customer. I waited another 2 mins whilst they bickered and eventually was asked my name. I was given my key and directed to my room.

When I arrived I discovered I had a room opposite the lifts and the ice machine (always a good spot for a comfortable nights sleep – not) and also that I was in a single bedded room. When I book my rooms I always book a double room for single occupancy and this is what I had on my confirmation. I went to reception and waited another 10 mins for service. During this period I was treated to the concierge lecturing one of his team on recording his overtime. I know it is difficult but surely such conversations should be had out of the hearing of guests!

When I got to talk to the second receptionist and asked for my double room I received a quite indignant lecture from her on the “policy” of the Radisson being to always give a single room to a single person. When I showed her my confirmation she relented but was clearly not happy I had not agreed to follow her policy. This was despite my paying a double room rate.

Up in the lifts again – I then arrived in I think what are call their oriental styled rooms. This just means a big wooden painted headboard (which I doubt is comfortable) and a lacquered table. However, the room was disgusting. The table was stained. The floor was stained and the carpet was so bare in places there were gaps exposing the floor. The shower was dirty and the fan above the shower was thick with dust. I rang reception to complain and was asked to go back down.

Third time down I was preparing myself for the usual 10 minute wait and for the insights of the concierge but fortunately the first receptionist spotted me and gave me a key to a new room. Back up in the lifts again. The third room was cleaner than the first although it had marks over most of the paintwork and an opened shampoo bottle in the shower. Frankly though I was so exhausted with the whole process I thought I would just stay put and turned the lights on. Only to discover only one of the three lights worked. I called reception to be treated to a lecture on the Radisson “policy” of every day checking the lights worked. At the end of this I was then offered another room but I would have to go back to reception which I could not stand or they would send an engineer. He arrived after 10 mins and changed the bulbs which were not working.

There were some positives. I could not face going out after it took me so long to checkg in so I ordered room service and had the most delicious bolognaise. It came with spaghetti rather than the tagletelli I had asked for but in any event it was fabulous. However on top of the price advertised for room service I was also charged a £3 tray charge!!!

The barman was nice and very knowledgeable letting me sample wines before selecting a glass and the breakfast was lovely.

However – I would not stay there again for all the tea in China. In my opinion they need to focus more on service than on the CSR messages they have around the hotel including a television channel which tells you all about Radisson and its policies. Also no way is this four star. The three rooms I had were all worst than you would get in a Travel Inn.

Save your cash and go somewhere else - unless you have fond memories of Basil Fawlty and want to experience a similar level of service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business