“Could do with serious rejuvenation”

Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London
Ranked #452 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here on business & to be honest was shocked at how dated and stained decor was in first room they offered, given the window wouldn't close properly I asked for alternate room as there was already a lot of noise from the street. Second room had advantage of a closing window but decor from the early 90's and that's being optimistic. I tried to ignore stains to upholstery and mold ink bathroom as to tired to change gain. There are much nicer hotels near this location, i definitely would avoid staying here gain.

Room Tip: Be persistent & don't take first offered...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review regarding your recent stay with us.

I regret to read that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of the Hotel for your disappointing experience. We offer a range of room types that vary on both décor and size and we would be happy show you different types of rooms upon your next stay. Our Executive Housekeeper would like to extend her apologies for the issues regarding the cleanliness of the room and rest assured the matter will certainly be followed up accordingly. May I kindly ask you to contact me directly to discuss your experience further as I would certainly like to make it right for you?

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon again and I hope that upon the next visit we will be able to meet your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Location is very good for Oxford Street shopping (its just a block or 2 behind Selfridges). We had book 2 premium rooms (supposidly identical). 1 was a lot bigger than the other! Also one of the rooms had bathrobes and slippers and the other room we had to request them. The downstairs of the hotel is nice. We did not use the restaurant or bar and so may places to eat we did not need to spend £20 per person on breakfast.

I came away for a week end of theatre, shopping and some rest. I don't object to outside noise but I was woken up early by other guests knocking on doors and could hear the TV from next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Our locations is indeed great as we are close to both Oxford Street and Marble Arch. We do have different kind of rooms even in the same category and for your next time if you have any requests when it comes to the rooms, you are always welcomed to contact us in advance and we would be happy to note the requests to your booking.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Until then if there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is nice enough and the location is good, BUT, they tried to charge me £50 extra per night to put a fold up bed in the room for my son. I had booked the room as two adults and one child, but there was no mention of this extra charge until I checked in. A nominal charge of perhaps £10/night might be acceptable, but £50/night is ludicrous. I could go out and buy a bed for the cost of the not particularly comfortable fold up bed. After complaining I got a reduction from 3 nights fees to 2 nights fees, but still I consider it a mean trick to play on families staying at the hotel. I shall avoid Radisson in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sacha7
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am glad to see that you were pleased with our central location, but regret to see that we were not able to meet your expectations. For the families and our little guests we do offer the possibility to stay free in the parent’s room on existing bedding for children 17 and under. In case our guests prefer the extra bed we do charge £50 per night, which is a competitive price when compared to the other Hotels in central London. The price is mentioned in our brand web site and I am sorry to hear that the charge was not clear enough when you booked the room. We will certainly follow up on this. May I kindly ask you to contact me directly, if you would wish to discuss your recent experience further?

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you soon again. Until then if there is anything I can help with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Had a three-course meal here with friends, very nice food and what really made it a great experience was the friendliness of the staff we met and the impeccable service from the waiting staff. Recommended, and a good location within a five minute walk of Marble Arch tube station.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your uplifting review regarding your dinner.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at the Portman Corner Restaurant. The staff is indeed very friendly and attentive and we couldn’t be happier that this was overall a great experience for you. We are happy to hear that you were also pleased with our central location near the Marble Arch Tube Station.

We hope to see you back soon again.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Third stay this year. Small problems rose with lighting in the room but were fixed almost immediately. Great location, mostly great service attitude and we will certainly come back. We prefer the rooms higher up!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

We couldn’t be happier to hear that you had a great stay with us yet again. We are delighted that you are pleased with our staff and service. We do take great pride in our staff and I agree that friendly and helpful service truly makes a difference.

We hope to see you back soon again.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I spent two nights in this hotel on a trip together with my son, in London to watch football. Was fortunate enough to use points from both Carlson Club and SAS Eurobonus, so cannot comment on the quality compared to price.

However, was upgraded to a business class room, which is a good-size room with a little extra amenities. Breakfast (the super-duper breakfast, or something like that), was OK, but not all that special. Very crowded on Sunday morning, much better on Monday morning.

Location is excellent, just two blocks from Oxford Street. Would absolutely stay again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us and that you were pleased with the complimentary upgrade given. The Business Class rooms are indeed more spacious and the extra amenities make the room even more special. Location is indeed excellent with Oxford Street only a short stroll away.

We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you soon again.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a long wait to check in, we arrived approx 1.30pm. Our room was a standard room but was very small and basic in my opinion, we enjoyed our stay here last year but we were lucky to have been given a business class room which seemed slightly bigger and better decorated.
We had a bad heat/air con unit which constantly whistled on and off all night even though I had turned the unit off, I did let the front desk know and they kindly offered us breakfast, however that didn't make up for getting no sleep ( In a premier inn the room would of been free ! ).
Good location but not sure if we will stay again as the standard of room was average and I know there are better around.

• Stayed: March 2013
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write the review regarding your recent stay.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us the first time, but regret to see that we were not able to meet your expectations during this stay. We do offer a range of different room types that vary in size and upon the next visit we would be happy to show you some of the other room types to find a room better suitable for your needs. We would sincerely like to apologize for the issues with the air conditioning system and the inconvenience it caused. Rest assured this will certainly be followed up by our Chief Engineer to ensure that such issues would not reoccur. May I kindly ask you to contact me directly to discuss further your recent experience with us?

I do hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again and upon the next visit we hope to meet and exceed your expectations.