“Weekend in London”

Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London
Ranked #440 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We arrived on Friday night I had booked a room for 3 nights Business Class with a King Size bed, always better to do the deal that includes Breakfast, its was £174 per night including Breakfast, we were allocated a Twin Bedded Room but it was soon sorted, always a good idea to bring the Details of your Booking, as arguments can arise, we went Direct to the Hotel, not through an Agency, for 2 Reasons, one that it was cheaper and two that you do not pay up front as you do through an Agency, and therefore have greater leverage if there are problems !
We like the Business Rooms nice and spacious, and sort of Art Deco Decor ! Breakies was good, but queued Sat and Sun, not alot but a bit ! We find it very convenient for Shopping on Oxford Street and West End theatres, great location, staff were friendly and efficient, had a Problem with the Kettle in the Room but it was sorted, also left Complimentary Water on the first night only, we will definitely stay there again, stayed at the Radisson Edwardian down the road last year, not a patch on the Portman, and it also has Underground Parking, which is Discounted if you stay at the Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thank you so much for writing such a positive and detailed review on your recent stay with us. It is a wonderful motivation for the entire team to read your praise on our indeed fabulous location as well as lovely and comfortable rooms and Super Breakfast buffet.

Our staff are a real asset to the hotel as they are super friendly and efficient on the rare occasions when problems or miscommunications arise.

We are very much looking forward to hosting you again in the future. In the meantime you can always contact me in case I can be of any further assistance.

With kind regards,
Stefanie Korte
Guest Relations Manager
+44 (0) 207 208 6000
stefanie.korte@radissonblu.com

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice building in a nice location in central London. Room was stylish with good appointments such as Nespresso machine, ironing board, hot water kettle. Concierge did a nice job helping us get tickets to a London show. Front desk staff was average. What really stood out was the poor service in the restaurant. We had 5 different servers for dinner. Noone seemed to care that we were there. There was a clear & visible argument between two male waiters. The next night we tried to get a drink. Very few people were in the bar & restaurant, but the staff seemed unable to handle the few orders. The trend continued at breakfast on multiple mornings where the cook making omelets would not even turn around & acknowledge customers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write the review regarding you recent stay with us.

I was very glad to read your great comments regarding our stylish rooms as well as our Concierge – They indeed are a great asset to our hotel. I do sincerely apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations in regards to service in our Portman Corner Restaurant. Caring about your guests is the heart of our Yes I Can- philosophy and I was disappointed to read that this was not visible during your dinner. Rest assured I will make sure that your comments are heard and followed up to prevent such issues happening again. Consistent and good quality service is important to us and I sincerely apologize for not meeting our standards in this occasion.

I do hope that you will visit us again as I am sure we will be able to meet and exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me in case I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel has a great location for W1 - but the busness class room we booked looked tired and in need ofc refurbishment and updating .
not great value for money as twin room was £327 including Vat and Breakfast
per night
i think there is better value and close by

1  Thank Redrosemfg
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write the review.

I would also like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our indeed central location. I was disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with our rooms or our Super Breakfast. I do have the pleasure to inform that we are planning a refurbishment that we hope to see materializing in 2013. I would appreciate if you would have a moment to share specifics or suggestions how we could improve our breakfast and our Business Class rooms. It would greatly help us to attempt to remedy your concerns. I assure you that regardless of your response your comments are heard and they will be followed up accordingly.

I truly hope that you will visit our hotel again as we would love to exceed your expectation the next time.

Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me in case you would like to discuss your recent experience further.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Radisson Blu Portman seldom disappoints. Have stayed at several occasions (my work has a favourable price-deal) and things seldom disappoint. Rooms are clean and modern. Breakfast has a good selection and quality. Location is quiet yet not far from Oxford Street. Have not had much to do with the staff, but have only had positive experiences with them. Overall very stable and decent quality.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your glowing review regarding your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure to read your lovely comments and I absolutely agree our Super Breakfast is a perfect start for a busy day. I would also like to thank you for your praises in regards to our location, which is indeed central and still quiet and the mentioning of our great staff.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago when it was known as the SAS Portman and I quite enjoyed it. If I recall correctly when I checked into my room (back then) it had a complimentary Pimms summer cocktail drink complete with bits of fruit and cute decoration. Aaah...

Things have changed however. Now this is a bit of a factory hotel with not a tremendous lot to recommend it I'm afraid. Check-in staff very good then up to my room which was the usual fairly small central London box, cannot complain, tea and coffee everything worked OK. For some reason there was a security chain preventing my sliding door from opening sufficiently to allow me to go onto the balcony which I would have quite liked to do. Not much noise either from traffic or from other guests and I did get a decent sleep.

Unfortunately I could not shake the feeling that they had a special laser system to track my wallet all the time. I was stupid enough to order a drink at the bar and this had the usual "hotel premium" of about 30 percent extra cost over the same drink at a pub around the corner. OK I guess people get used to this but then they had the nerve to try and slip a ten percent service charge on top of that to make a very overpriced drink indeed.

I was with a group of about 20 business colleagues; some of us ate a quick snack dinner because they were going out and some of us had a full sit-down meal in the restaurant. The quality of the bar meal service was pretty mixed with a couple of us even abandoning the attempt and relocating to Marble Arch McDonalds. Myself I did have the restaurant meal and was pleasantly surprised by the nice quality of the food and the way that service seemed to improve later on.

So a bit random overall but as other reviewers have pointed out a great location for this hotel and if you keep your hand firmly on your wallet you might have a reasonable stay. I much preferred the relaxed atmosphere of the Radisson Kenilworth however.

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review.

I was very pleased to hear that you were pleased with our Front Office staff as well as our quiet and comfortable rooms. It also makes me happy the see that you slept well as good night sleep is essential when it comes to the comfort of the stay. Thank you also for praising our central location near the Oxford Street and Marble Arch.

It was great to see that I have enjoyed your stay with us in the past but I was disappointed to hear that this time we were not able to meet your expectations. I would like to apologize on behalf of our Portman Corner Restaurant the issues your group faced during your dinner at the Restaurant. Consistent quality and great service are important to us and sadly we did not meet our standards in this occasion. Be assured our Restaurant department will take your comments to heart and make sure that such issues would not happen again. I am glad to hear that you gave us a chance to make things right and stayed to enjoy the meal. I will also forward your comments regarding prices to our Food & Beverage Manager to be taken into consideration when reviewing the prices of the menu items.

I hope that you will give Radisson Blu Portman Hotel another change as you have had great experience with us before. May I kindly ask you to contact me whenever your travel plans bring you back to London and I will be delighted to look after your booking personally. I hope that next time we can meet and exceed you expectation.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great hotel near Oxford Street, Yo sushi and Pinkberry, what more can you ask for? Also near Madame Tussauds.

The room was ok, location was great, service from the staff was very good. They knock on your door in the evening offering you chocolate and water, nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the glowing review- What a great motivation for us all.
I agree our location is great as Oxford Street, sites and fabulous restaurants are just a walk away.

I was very glad to read the turn down service we provided made a good impression. We always love to make our guests happy.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I am really surprised to see so many positive reviews. There's no doubt that the location is great. But that's it for me. The bedrooms are dated, small and ridiculously expensive. The staff going through the motions and two I encountered early one morning rude. Street noise is excessive (and I was on the 9th floor). The food and drinks expensive and average at best. I'm a Londoner and travel a lot. I had to be at the hotel for a conference but do yourself a favour - there are many much better value places in London

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
1  Thank StevenRobertson

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and bringing the matters relating to the staff to my attention. I would like to apologize on behalf of our staff as we do value all of our guests and we would never want any of our guests to feel unappreciated, I will certainly follow up on this with our department heads. I will also forward you feedback regarding the bar prices to our Restaurant Manager, so your comments will be considered when revaluating the prices for our Bar menu.

I do have the pleasure to confirm that we are working on a refurbishment plan which we hope to see materializing in 2013. May I kindly ask you to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your recent experience as your comments will be much appreciated?

We would love to welcome you back very soon.