“Smart hotel convenient for Oxford Street shopping”

Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London
Ranked #438 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Marble Arch is the nearest Tube Station, and the hotel is two/three streets back parallel to Oxford Street. The road is relatively quiet compared with the hustle and bustle of the shopping street. The hotel sits on the corner of Portman Square facing the Hyatt Regency opposite.

I had requested an early check in and this was honoured, along with an upgrade to one of their Business Rooms. We had room 511, with a small balcony. Though the room was marked "non-smoking", there was a distinct smell of cigarette smoke as we entered. But it was a nice, warm day so we kept the sliding window open and did not notice it during the rest of our stay.

The large bed was set at a quirky angle in the room but was comfortable to sleep on. It had a duvet which is what we prefer. There was a coffee-capsule machine but we did not use it. The method of operation of these machines varies by brand, and it all too easy to waste capsules trying to figure out how to make them work!

The bathroom was modern in design and equiipment, with bath over the shower. This was relatively simple to use. Useful range of toiletries and wash cloths.

Access in the lift to the bedroom floors was validated by entering the plastic room key in a slot and pressing the chosen floor. This seems quite common these days.

There was a restaurant downstairs on the entrance floor and we saw a few lunching outside in the sun. Breakfast looked much busier though we did not have any.

We paid £142, which was fair for the standard provided and the location. I would stay again at that price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate your previous stay with us here at the Radisson Blu Portman Hotel London. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your room and our fantastic location - close to all sights and shopping and quiet at the same time. I am so sorry to hear that the room smelled of smoke. We would have loved to offer you a room move, however I am glad to read that the open window worked for you instead.

I am happy to hear that we were able to honor your request for an early check in together with an upgrade - to give you that extra bit of time to explore London and more space to relax in the evening.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu we would like to thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to see you again when your travel plans bring you back to the area. If there is anything which we can assist you with until then, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Yours sincerely,
Veronica Spalding
Guest Relations Coordinator
veronica.spalding@radissonblu.com
+44 (0) 207 208 6000

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed March 25, 2012

A warm welcome every time we stay here, any problems and they sort it out fuss free. The bar is fully stocked again hospitable staff and the lunchtime snacks are nom nom nom.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear Guest

We were delighted to see your fantastic review in regards to your recent stay with us. We take pride in the service the hotel and our team members offer and are pleased to read that their efforts are acknowledged and appreciated by our guests.
We hope you will visit us again very soon.

+44 (0) 207 208 6000 / stefanie.korte@radissonblu.com

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Radisson Blue Portman is a very nice hotel at a special place in the London city center, walking distance from Oxford street and Edgware Road street where you can find many shops and very nice restaurant. There are 2 tube station nearby and many bus stops. Less than 10 minutes from Paddington train station.

I stayed several times on 2011 and usually I get a room on 11th floor which is big and quite.

They have a very special breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great comments in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. We are very fortunate with our hotel’s location and this is always appreciated by our guests.

Our Super Breakfast Buffet is also receiving more and more positive feedback and this is great to hear – we are very proud of our breakfast offering and along with the breakfast team’s service skills adds to a great experience for our guests. We hope that your overall experience will make us your number 1 choice hotel whenever you are visiting London in the future

Veronica Spalding
Guest Relations Coordinator

+44 (0) 207 208 6000
veronica.spalding@radissonblu.com

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Sorry about the title, I wanted to try to find something positive to say.

From the moment I checked in and they dropped my passport in the open bucket of paint left behind the front desk, to the moment I checked out of the room early to go warm up in the lobby and escape the non-functioning heat, this was a disastrous choice. The list of things wrong with this hotel was long: I was "upgraded" from a queen bed to a twin, and told I couldn't use the amenities included with the "upgraded" room. It took over five hours to get an iron, though the website said it was included in "each room.". The discounted rate apparently didn't include loyalty points, which was literally the only reason I booked here. Half the lights didn't work, the ones which did were so dim I had to turn on the tv to the brightest program (C Beebies, by the way) in order to work in the room. There was a consistent cold draft from the window which could be felt from the bed. If you are 6' 3" or over, you can not stand up in the shower. The tub is raised and the ceiling lowered. Only half the drain plug was in place ( the other half shattered off long ago, it appeared.) The flow of water from the shower head was barely a trickle. It's unfortunate that Radisson doesn't enforce higher standards at its properties, as this is egregious enough to make me avoid them all in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank Barflyer
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are surprised and concerned to read your review in regards to your recent stay with us. We have no records of reported incidents reflecting the points you have raised in your review.

May I kindly ask you to contact me directly at your earliest convenience to discuss further? I look forward to hearing from you either via telephone on +44 (0) 208 207 6000 or by email stefanie.korte@radissonblu.com

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I have just returned from a very unhappy stay at The Radisson. The rooms at £300 per night are pricy but very nice, and the food we had was very nice.

we were running a conference here, the issue is the car park.

The car park is beneath the hotel owned by the hotel and run by NCP with a connecting door to the hotel.

My car was left overnight in the car park, upon return after the conference I found my Jaguar had been broken into with the rear glass broken and door staved in with I pod and stuff stolen and my belongings on the floor.

My issue is this- I reported this immediately at reception, to be told that it's. Not our responsibility mate... And cars get broken into all the time.

you pay £300 a night well in our case several thousand pounds including the conference and park in the car park-if it's not safe tell us , if there are problems make it secure with gates at night, and to compound things to try and charge £36 for parking after £1000 of damage is breathtaking.

If NCP can't run it find someone else.

A could not care less attitude is not acceptable, avoid this hotel if you are driving it is not secure or safe I suggest you go to the Chuchill over the road that has a secure car park.

• Stayed: March 2012
24  Thank Mike M
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

We read with concern your comments in regards to the incident involving a break in to your car at the adjacent NCP car park, we are sorry to hear that your otherwise satisfactory stay with us was tarnished by this unfortunate event.

The car park is not owned by us in any way at all, however we have provided details of the incident to the NCP car park management – rest assured we will follow up with reception in regard to your comments about the attitude of the staff in dealing with your issue, this is most unusual for our staff.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance in this matter.

At the same time I would like to thank you for your positive remarks on the room and food you received during your stay with us which we will share with all team members.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call me on +44 (0) 208 207 6000 or email me, stefanie.korte@radissonblu.com

We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Got a great deal on hotels.com so was cheaper to stay here than at a travelodge! Was very impressed with the room and hote as a whole...only downside was I didn't realise that as I was in a Business Class room I was entitled to a free breakfast!

Seriously, nice quirky room, bright carpet, frankly bizarre (in a good way) head board arrangement, big desk, Nespresso machine and very comfy beds.

Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic comments in regards to your recent stay with us. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed staying in one of our ‘quirky’ rooms and that you took advantage of most of the amenities that are inclusive in our business class rooms, such as increased work space, Nespresso coffee machine and we hope you discovered the complimentary pay TV movies.

A shame that you did not benefit from our Super Breakfast Buffet, but hopefully during your next stay you will get the opportunity to. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back very soon. Should you require any additional assistance until then, please do not hesitate to contact me directly either on +44 (0) 208 207 6000 or via email on stefanie.korte@radissonblu.com

Stefanie Korte, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Although I use the hotel regularly for business and have always found all aspects of the accommodation and service to be good, I had a very bad experience on Thursday evening.
A member if the cleaning staff in the foyer felt the need to be very rude to me because I unintentially walked across and area of flooring he had just cleaned. Not the sort of incident one expects while in the company of business customers.

Shocked by this, I reported the incident to the Duty Manager. To my disappointment and surprise, he vaguely acknowledged the incident but was just as rude and was very unwilling to speak with the member of staff who was only yards away.

A shame that two members of staff can ruin ones opinion of, up until now, a highly regarded London hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Wardf
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

We read with concern your comments in regards to your experience with us last week. May I kindly ask you to contact me directly on +44 (0) 208 207 6000 or alternatively email me at stefanie.korte@radissonblu.com to discuss your comments further?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.