“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Avoid like the plague.”

Grenville House Hotel
Ranked #1,016 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Avoid like the plague.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Please do not waste your money staying here. For the extra £20 or £30 stay somewhere else. The room was cramped and absolutely filthy. The bed clothes had stains on them, I was bitten by bed bugs. Doors were kept closed using spoons, light fittings falling off ceiling with wires showing. Fluorescent strip lighting was main bedroom light. Toilet was a portaloo type with a shower. Breakfast consisted of sainsburys basics yogurt and you were crammed in like battery hens. Please see my photos, I am NOT exaggerating.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank WallyJG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Braintree, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

Please do not stay here. It is disgusting. My daughter and I paid £89 for a twin room measuring 13 ft by 7 ft with a plastic pod- like shower/toilet taking up part of the space. There was no light in the shower so if you pulled the folding door across you were in the pitch black. Beds were touching and although sheets were clean the old war time woollen blankets and top cover were stained and dirty. Glass in window was broken and curtains were filthy. Breakfast was in a small basement room (like a hostel), food was awful and guests had to queue until a table became free. I felt ashamed of being British when I saw that nearly all guests were foreign and were staying in such an awful place.

Room Tip: The best tip is not to stay here, the place should be closed down.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank yellowbertha

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Swindon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, if people are considering staying there, don't!!! would have been better off in a hostel. It was dirty, cramped, cold. There was no milk for tea coffee facilities. Hairs in sink and bottom of shower cubicle. Hairs and stains on bedding. Tiny toilet with shower and basin all cramped in a space no bigger than a cupboard. No quilt on bed, just blanket and we were freezing. The hot tap kept turning itself on all night keeping us awake. lamp was broke and the curtains were hanging off the rail!!! staff were not really that friendly, especially the two girls serving breakfast, one of them couldn't speak a word of English and the other was downright rude when I asked her to seat us because there were no tables available when we came down for breakfast. She shushed me away with her hand. we ended up going to the British museum to get our breakfast.

Room Tip: Dont even consider this hotel its absolutely awful
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tamwad
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

The hotel is suitated near Russell square, in a part of London I particularly love.
Despite the trip advices, I decided to book there beacause of the price. Spent there 3 nights. Well I wasted my company money ... At first it was not easy to find the hotel: despite the name on the sign in the street you actually enter the Guildford hotel. The room was a 6 sq meeters burial niche under the roof of the building: it was almost impossible to open the door because of the furnitures ... The bed was a sort of mat whjile sheet and blanket. The bathroom was small. Because of the position and the dimensions the room was particularly hot.
I had breakfast in a sort of kithen downstairs where they gaveme some tea and crakers. Nobody could use English ..... Please, do not look at the price and find a different place for your stay in London.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sgorla
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Absolute disgrace to call this a hotel!

The "ladies" of the night ring the bell at all hours to book a room by the hour!!
Room was tiny, dirty (cobwebs that have been around for so long you can see the dust on them) and damp.

We made the mistake of moving the bed a few feet from the wall and there was at least 1 cm build up of dirt and even a trainer and sock!!!

And then there is the bathroom, my god it is smaller then the average shower cubicle, it has one of them a toilet and a sink although you have to lean over the toilet to use the sink. There was no swinging cats!!!!

We didn't risk breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Lonetraveller69
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I was shocked. I was annoyed with myself that I didn't pay more to stay somewhere else. I was in the basement, small, dingy, couldn't risk leaving the window open so had to sleep with the heating on. Mould in the shower, water was cold - not very nice to shower. I got them to turn the heating off but was so tempted to travel home last night, but decided to have a few drinks and leave early this morning. They only had one other room available on the 3rd floor, people are obviously not learning or voting with their feet. The Guildford also owns the 'new wing' which is the Glenville as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

I did not really look at my room I dropped my bag and went to met friends, but when I got back around 11 at night I sat on the bed for the first time to find the mattress was so worn the dip was huge and very uncomfortable. The shower room was dirty, (dark curly hairs everywhere) and so small that the shower curtain (which was stained in mould) would touch the skin if you did decide to venture in!
Obviously I could not sleep and felt dirty lying in the bed, the blanket and sheets had seen better days, eventually at 0600 I went to reception and stated I wanted to check out as I was supposed to be there two nights, the receptionist asked what was wrong and stated that he could offer me a new room. I came back later the same day and was offered a double room, the mattress was 1000% better, no dip and a proper shower room, however I still unsure if the room was clean but I did stay for the second night to my detriment as I woke up with bites all over my arms, I went to see the doctor who stated they looked like bites, can you imagine! A nice weekend in London spoilt by lack of sleep and now I am treating my skin for bites.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business