“**WARNING DAMP AND DIRTY" And that is the Positive!!!!!!!”

Grenville House Hotel
Ranked #1,003 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“**WARNING DAMP AND DIRTY" And that is the Positive!!!!!!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Absolute disgrace to call this a hotel!

The "ladies" of the night ring the bell at all hours to book a room by the hour!!
Room was tiny, dirty (cobwebs that have been around for so long you can see the dust on them) and damp.

We made the mistake of moving the bed a few feet from the wall and there was at least 1 cm build up of dirt and even a trainer and sock!!!

And then there is the bathroom, my god it is smaller then the average shower cubicle, it has one of them a toilet and a sink although you have to lean over the toilet to use the sink. There was no swinging cats!!!!

We didn't risk breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Lonetraveller69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I was shocked. I was annoyed with myself that I didn't pay more to stay somewhere else. I was in the basement, small, dingy, couldn't risk leaving the window open so had to sleep with the heating on. Mould in the shower, water was cold - not very nice to shower. I got them to turn the heating off but was so tempted to travel home last night, but decided to have a few drinks and leave early this morning. They only had one other room available on the 3rd floor, people are obviously not learning or voting with their feet. The Guildford also owns the 'new wing' which is the Glenville as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I did not really look at my room I dropped my bag and went to met friends, but when I got back around 11 at night I sat on the bed for the first time to find the mattress was so worn the dip was huge and very uncomfortable. The shower room was dirty, (dark curly hairs everywhere) and so small that the shower curtain (which was stained in mould) would touch the skin if you did decide to venture in!
Obviously I could not sleep and felt dirty lying in the bed, the blanket and sheets had seen better days, eventually at 0600 I went to reception and stated I wanted to check out as I was supposed to be there two nights, the receptionist asked what was wrong and stated that he could offer me a new room. I came back later the same day and was offered a double room, the mattress was 1000% better, no dip and a proper shower room, however I still unsure if the room was clean but I did stay for the second night to my detriment as I woke up with bites all over my arms, I went to see the doctor who stated they looked like bites, can you imagine! A nice weekend in London spoilt by lack of sleep and now I am treating my skin for bites.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Nottingham
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Myself and my partner booked into this hotel as it was one of the cheapest we could find last minute. Having known what it would be like, I would have happily paid masses more to stay anywhere else.
On arrival, I was slightly concerned by the fact that the two people in front of me at the reception were complaining and one of the doors in the lobby had been propped open using a carton of gone off milk...I wish I'd have turned and walked out there and then. On stepping up to the reception, the sour-faced member of staff slammed a check in card in front of me without even saying 'hello'. She snatched my credit card off me, took my payment and shoved a key in my hands.
On entering the room I was appalled by how grimey it was. It clearly hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The carpets were full of dirt (I'm asthmatic and I left the place with a wheeze due to the dust levels), the glasses and mugs covered in hairs and other peoples toothpaste, spiders on the ceiling, but nothing prepared me for the bathroom...
It was covered in congealed dirt, pubic hairs and mould. The shower curtain was so mouldy (and had been tied up with a dirty old plastic bag) that I wouldnt let it even touch me. As the bathroom was so small (the toilet was practically in the shower), you had to step out into the bedroom to dry off - unfortunately this faced a window with no proper curtains that backed onto another persons window which is fine if you're a nudist, if not it wasn't ideal.
When we checked in, there had been no mention of breakfast (despite us paying for it) and in the lobby the next morning there was no sign of any activity, Needless to say anyway, we decided that there would be no way we'd eat in such a dump for fear of getting ill, so we headed to the local cafe and paid for breakfast.
When we checked out, the woman on reception merely barked at me that 'check out is 11am!!!', to which I replied that I wanted to leave now. She then snatched the keys off me and carried on with her work.
Having been all around the world and having stayed in some very very cheap and some pricey accomodation, I have to say that this was without a doubt the WORST hotel experience ever and the WORST value for money. This place should be closed down and if environmental health review it, I guarantee that they will shut it immediately. If you have any sense, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Starlet001
Durham
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We found the hotel to be in a great location, only 10 minutes walk from Kings Cross and near to Bloomsbury, which has some nice pubs. The room itself was small and shabby, but clean. The en suite was a horific plastic pod from the 70s but everything worked in it, except for the taps which dripped loudly all night, as you couldn't switch them off. Good value for money considering it's central location, but the staff were not helpful and gave us no indication of where to go for breakfast, so we just went for a fry up on Grey's Inn Road. If all you are looking for is a base then this hotel is fine.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Small & dirty rooms, staff is not able to help (they even don't have Europe-UK adaptors), quite small hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple