“Great breakfast, tiny rooms, early bar closure”

Hilton London Euston
Ranked #632 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast, tiny rooms, early bar closure”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The double room only had room to edge around the bed. two people in this room would have meant one would have to climb on the bed to let the other pass. The double bed was actually two singles pushed together and this was noticeable when sleeping, making the bed ridged and very uncomfortable - I might as well have had a single bed. The bathroom was modern, clean, well equipped. The breakfast had a good variety of fresh food. The concierge was helpful. The bar closed early and drinks had to be ordered from the hotel Reception (on a Saturday night).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Diliana D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Stephanie,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. First and foremost I would like to apologise that the room size did not meet your expectations, however due to the age and history of the building the size and shape of the bedrooms vary depending on their location within the property. Had we been informed of your dissatisfaction during your stay, we could have arranged another suitable room for you.
Thank you for staying with us and trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel is in a very good location which is next to Euston Park underground station, Euston underground station and the Euston National Rail train station. The staffs were very polite and friendly. The hotel setting maybe a bit old and tired, but the cosiness and cleanliness sure makes up for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Diliana D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Having read your review it was a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the quality of service you experienced met with your expectations.
Regards,
UK
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hilton during a work related conference. The desk staff on arrival were quite rude, the hotel corridors and rooms were shabby with poor quality bedding and worn carpets. On the positive the guy serving breakfast was the happiest most helpful I think I've come across. Breakfast was very good- great choice and quality.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank judith-charmers13
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I was disappointed to read that you were unhappy with the service you received from the hotel staff and I would be most grateful if you can provide me with further details regarding your experience ( diliana.dimitrova@hilton.com)
Thank you for your comments regarding one of our Food and Beverage assistants. We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and that your next stay will be an excellent one.

Regards,

Barry South Wales
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed for work, three nights. Upon arrival the staff were insistent upon taking a card swipe and £50. As some of our colleagues had checked in the night before the course, and advised us that this would happen, four of us had already decided to challenge this policy.
1. We were there for work, accommodation paid by employer. This was not a jolly. If I booked a hotel for pleasure, and this policy had been made clear - fine. The hotel should not be taking anything OTHER than a swipe, unless of course we actually charged something to the room.
2. Colleagues who had stayed at the hotel previously had advised that sometimes it take up to a week to refund the £50. Multiply this delay x number of hotel guests in any given week. Who is getting the interest on this money?
3. We could not find any small print with this £50 debit policy explained, only the fact of a card swipe.

This obviously got us off to a less than perfect start, and, yes, met with a group who did not agree to having £50 debited, our accounts were locked down and our cards were not swiped. I make that sound easy - it wasn't.

Apart from the above, the rooms were very nice, with tea/coffee making facilities, fridge, large flat screen TV, large bed. The staff I encountered during my stay were extremely pleasant. The breakfast was very good - plenty of choice, tea/coffee brought to your table.

I travel to London several times a year with work and rarely purchase anything from the hotels themselves, so having my account locked was not an issue. Lets face it, at £3.60 for 330ml of Coke (standard can size) and £11.90 for a large glass of pinot grigio, there are many cheaper places to entertain yourself.

The other issue that marred my stay, perhaps the icing on the cake - a room where the only window overlooked the gym - noisy, distracting and I feel no 'open' window aspect made the room feel a bit stuffy. Perhaps that's what you get when you refuse to play ball.

Would I make a fuss if I my employer booked this hotel for me in the future? I don't think so. I would still resist the £50 swipe and ask for a room not overlooking the gym or the dinning room (as my colleague had).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Was in London for 2 nights on business in the City, a block away from the Tower of London. It was a last minute trip and there was a real shortage of rooms in that part of London. And what was available could be had for 400-500+ Sterling per night. The Hilton near Euston station was not exactly convenient but was "only" 259 Sterling per night. Not the best location for my purposes, but sometimes, what can you do?

Arrived about 130 pm, and check in was no problem. Given a room on the "first floor". Please note for North Americans, the First floor is not normally what you would call the Ground floor. At the Euston though, the First floor is pretty well the ground floor. My room was on the side street (Ensleigh Gardens), and if street noise is a problem, this would NOT be a good choice for you.

The room itself was not memorable, good or bad. I did have full control of the temperature however (not something you always get in Europe) and it worked great.

Interestingly, at check in the clerk explained how to connect to in room Wifi, but forebodingly said "if you have any problems, call me". You are supposed to enter your surname and room number and the charge is billed to the room automatically. This did not work at all for me, and when I called the front desk, they gave me a code to enter (different process) and I was not charged for Wifi.

Location - I have a bit of a mobility issue, nothing serious but not supposed to walk excessively. IMO, this hotel is not in a great location for sightseeing if you have any such restrictions. For Tube acccess, Euston Station is a reasonable distance, but IMO the other Tube stations are a little too far away to be considered handy. Particularly the Piccadilly line, where the nearest station (Russell Square) is too far to consider it a short walk, plus, that Station is not easy to locate unless you know exactly where it is. Why is this relevant? Well, if you fly into or out of Heathrow and want to take the most direct and economical route to the Hotel, the Piccadilly line is the way to go.

More on location. For embarrassing reasons, when I arrived at the hotel, I needed to purchase undershirts/tshirts. I asked the concierge where I might locate a shop selling this, and he could not identify anything closer than "Oxford Street". And no explanation as to just where Oxford Street was, other than a vague handwave "in that direction". My takeaways from this: one, there is not a whole lot around this part of town for shopping (or restaurants), and two, the concierge was not terribly helpful (also asked for other directional assistance during my stay and received a similar level of mediocre help).

I did not eat at the restaurant, but did order room service. The fish and chips was actually quite good and was delivered very promptly.

So overall, my stay was very average. Location was not the best, but manageable. Staff were OK, room was OK, food was OK. Because of location, this property would not suit my needs, and outside of price and availability concerns, I would look elsewhere for London accommodations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hunter747
Diliana D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton London Euston with TripAdvisor. I am most grateful for you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotel location, the hotel is very close to Euston Station as well was walking distance from both Kings Cross Underground (Circle, Hammersmith, Metropolitan, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines) and St Pancras International for ease of travel to Europe and to the centre of London.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments regarding the concierge department with them, thank you for mentioning the good quality of the food, which is a fantastic compliment to our culinary team.

Diliana
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is location - great transport links, close to Euston/kings Cross/Eurostar. But my room was really basic and small. Fine for a budget travel chain but you kind of expect a bit more for Hilton. I booked through a last minute hotel site so got great rate but if I had paid full price for this room I would have complained, as it was not worth the advertised rate. I've stayed in the Premier Inn round the corner before and had a better room for less, although it doesn't look as pretty from the outside.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear June,

It is good to hear you found the hotel a good location for walking to the major transport stations.
I understand that you have high expectations with the Hilton brand and I am sorry that we were unable to fully meet these in this case.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel so that we may have the opportunity to make your next stay with us an excellent on.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel is just 1/2 block south of the Euston Underground station and about 5 blocks northwest of the British Museum. It is also just a couple blocks west of St. Pancras train station.

Many hotels in London, especially older ones have small rooms (think New York City). While I had stayed at another Hilton London a few years ago that was extremely cramped, this one was much better, but the rooms still somewhat small. However, we never stayed in our rooms, so it didn't matter. This hotel has only about 5 floors, so it is not huge. Extremely convenient to the Subway (Victoria line) and we walked to the British Museum. The concierge (tall Asian fellow) was extremely helpful. They had a very nice selection at breakfast. The Irish blood sausage was not overcooked, so it was a delight! They also had a nice soft cheese in gold foil, that was very soft, creamy and delicious! Definitely would stay here again

Room Tip: I stayed in the front of the hotel. Every once in a while, a ambulance (?) would go by with its sir...