“Very average”

Hilton London Euston
Ranked #635 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Was in London for 2 nights on business in the City, a block away from the Tower of London. It was a last minute trip and there was a real shortage of rooms in that part of London. And what was available could be had for 400-500+ Sterling per night. The Hilton near Euston station was not exactly convenient but was "only" 259 Sterling per night. Not the best location for my purposes, but sometimes, what can you do?

Arrived about 130 pm, and check in was no problem. Given a room on the "first floor". Please note for North Americans, the First floor is not normally what you would call the Ground floor. At the Euston though, the First floor is pretty well the ground floor. My room was on the side street (Ensleigh Gardens), and if street noise is a problem, this would NOT be a good choice for you.

The room itself was not memorable, good or bad. I did have full control of the temperature however (not something you always get in Europe) and it worked great.

Interestingly, at check in the clerk explained how to connect to in room Wifi, but forebodingly said "if you have any problems, call me". You are supposed to enter your surname and room number and the charge is billed to the room automatically. This did not work at all for me, and when I called the front desk, they gave me a code to enter (different process) and I was not charged for Wifi.

Location - I have a bit of a mobility issue, nothing serious but not supposed to walk excessively. IMO, this hotel is not in a great location for sightseeing if you have any such restrictions. For Tube acccess, Euston Station is a reasonable distance, but IMO the other Tube stations are a little too far away to be considered handy. Particularly the Piccadilly line, where the nearest station (Russell Square) is too far to consider it a short walk, plus, that Station is not easy to locate unless you know exactly where it is. Why is this relevant? Well, if you fly into or out of Heathrow and want to take the most direct and economical route to the Hotel, the Piccadilly line is the way to go.

More on location. For embarrassing reasons, when I arrived at the hotel, I needed to purchase undershirts/tshirts. I asked the concierge where I might locate a shop selling this, and he could not identify anything closer than "Oxford Street". And no explanation as to just where Oxford Street was, other than a vague handwave "in that direction". My takeaways from this: one, there is not a whole lot around this part of town for shopping (or restaurants), and two, the concierge was not terribly helpful (also asked for other directional assistance during my stay and received a similar level of mediocre help).

I did not eat at the restaurant, but did order room service. The fish and chips was actually quite good and was delivered very promptly.

So overall, my stay was very average. Location was not the best, but manageable. Staff were OK, room was OK, food was OK. Because of location, this property would not suit my needs, and outside of price and availability concerns, I would look elsewhere for London accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hunter747
Diliana D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton London Euston with TripAdvisor. I am most grateful for you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotel location, the hotel is very close to Euston Station as well was walking distance from both Kings Cross Underground (Circle, Hammersmith, Metropolitan, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines) and St Pancras International for ease of travel to Europe and to the centre of London.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments regarding the concierge department with them, thank you for mentioning the good quality of the food, which is a fantastic compliment to our culinary team.
Thank you for staying with us and trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Diliana

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is location - great transport links, close to Euston/kings Cross/Eurostar. But my room was really basic and small. Fine for a budget travel chain but you kind of expect a bit more for Hilton. I booked through a last minute hotel site so got great rate but if I had paid full price for this room I would have complained, as it was not worth the advertised rate. I've stayed in the Premier Inn round the corner before and had a better room for less, although it doesn't look as pretty from the outside.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear June,

It is good to hear you found the hotel a good location for walking to the major transport stations.
I understand that you have high expectations with the Hilton brand and I am sorry that we were unable to fully meet these in this case.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel so that we may have the opportunity to make your next stay with us an excellent on.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel is just 1/2 block south of the Euston Underground station and about 5 blocks northwest of the British Museum. It is also just a couple blocks west of St. Pancras train station.

Many hotels in London, especially older ones have small rooms (think New York City). While I had stayed at another Hilton London a few years ago that was extremely cramped, this one was much better, but the rooms still somewhat small. However, we never stayed in our rooms, so it didn't matter. This hotel has only about 5 floors, so it is not huge. Extremely convenient to the Subway (Victoria line) and we walked to the British Museum. The concierge (tall Asian fellow) was extremely helpful. They had a very nice selection at breakfast. The Irish blood sausage was not overcooked, so it was a delight! They also had a nice soft cheese in gold foil, that was very soft, creamy and delicious! Definitely would stay here again

Room Tip: I stayed in the front of the hotel. Every once in a while, a ambulance (?) would go by with its sir...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jay,

We are pleased to see through your ratings that the location, rooms, and sleep quality met with your needs.
Thank you for mentioning the great service received from our Concierge Yun, I have passed your comments to him.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Had 2 short stays in September (1 night and 3 nights).Stayed many times at this hotel but after this experience may not be back!The rooms (102 and 423) both suffered from excessive noise from outside extractors located close to those rooms - at least in Room 102 the exractor was switched off at about 11pm after we complained,but the noise in Room 423 could not be switched off!We were offered a move to another room by a very pleasant receptionist, but decided that the hassle of packing and unpacking all of our substantial luggage was not an attractive option - having been refused the option of transferring our clothing on the hangers they had been put on!
Also, we did not receive an alarm call which had been requested - fortunately I used my mobile or we would have missed our Eurostar train!!
As always, the buffet breakfast was excellent - and a special word about the manager of the breakfast restaurant ( Ambacor?),who couldn't have done enough for his customers,what a gem of an employee Hilton have there.

Room Tip: Find one that is not affected by extractor noises!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ernie N
Diliana D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced due to the noise; I have shared your feedback with the relevant department heads for immediate action.
Thank you for mentioning the great service received from Abucar, the breakfast supervisor, please be assured that I have passed on your kind words.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Used this hotel for a long weekend tourest break with my wife and 7 year old daughter, hotel staff were very friendly, room was excellent, breakfast service was great, fussed over my daughter making her feel very special. Would certainly use again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Having read your review it was a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the quality of service you experienced met with your expectations.
We hope you enjoyed your visit to the Big City and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel!
Best wishes,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with my daughter and 2 grandchildren, a 3 year old and 5 month baby. We had a lovely room and everything that we needed. The staff helped us with our luggage and double buggy on several occasions, and we always had an appropriate table at breakfast. The room was exceptionally comfortable and very clean. There were plenty of fluffy towels and good quality toiletries. There was a fitted bathroom hair drier but also a better one in the wardrobe. Our bed was enormous and the 3 year old had a very generous and comfortable sofa bed in which he slept really well. A travel cot was supplied for the baby.
Breakfast was excellent and the sausages particularly good. We also loved the croissants and Nutella spread! There was plenty of fresh fruit which is great for children.
Without fail the staff were courteous and helpful. We felt so welcome.
The location was outstanding as it was an easy 5 minute walk from Euston. We walked to the British Museum and Covent Garden on this occasion. There are many other attractions nearby including Regents Park and London Zoo.
A free wifi zone e.g. In Reception would be nice, but we we so busy that it didn't matter. I will definitely come again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
We strive to make sure that our guests’ needs are met and it is reassuring to hear that we met your expectations in terms of service and hospitality.The ratings you gave for the hotel are brilliant and thank you very much.
We do provide complimentary Wi-Fi in our public areas, including the bar and restaurant.
I am not sure if you have plans to return, however let us know when you’re next in the area as we would be delighted to look after you once again!

Regards

Reviewed September 29, 2013

So, without going into too much detail: for a London-based hotel, this is decent. Rooms are clean, and a decent size. Good location, food is pretty good as well.

The cons of this hotel are:
+ Internet connection - horrible. Constant drops - below average speed.
+ Gym is decent, but it needs an update. Kind of dirty, and could use an upgrade on a machine or two.
+ Air conditioning - lame. Never did cool the room. Luckily, it is cool here at the moment, so an open window has done the trick.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business