“Two visits”

Hilton London Euston
Ranked #635 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Recently returned from an extended visit to the UK including two seperate visits to London. On arrival to London, I had previously booked the Hilton London Euston king executive room. Our room was ready upon arrival and was very nice. We found the room very comfortable and the staff was very friendly and outgoing.

We found ourselves wanting to return to London for an additional couple of days prior to our return home to Canada. As we liked the hotel and it's location, we booked on line and got a twin standard room for three nights. Again, upon arrival which was well before the check in time, our room was ready for us. Waliking to our room we noticed all of the old televisions removed and laying in the corridors so we knew the rooms had been updated with new flat screen tv's and high definition channels. A nice plus.

Again the staff we're very friendly and one concierge remebered us and welcomed us back which was really nice. Our room was plenty spacious and comfortable. The lounge is very relaxed and provides great service and the breakfast is really one of the better ones we had while on vacation compared to the Hilton Dundee and Hilton in Aviemore.

The gym has a good variety of equipment and while certainly not near the quality as say the Hilton Dundee, it's adequate for a suitable work out while on vacation or business.

Yes this is an old hotel and yes it's difficult to modernize due to several building restrictions. I take it all in stride. I've read the complaints about noise from outside traffic etc. and while yes that is true of some room locations, I wasnt bothered by any of it. By comparison I stayed on the 15th floor of the Toronto Hilton this past summer which by comparison is a modern new complex compared to the Euston. I heard every emergency vehicle siren from my 15th floor room. London is a big busy city and full of lots of noise. Stay in the country if you want peace and quiet.

I really liked this hotel and by staying twice in one vacation on two seperate legs of our journey I believe attests my claim. My only criticism would be to provide free wifi to all guests. I'm paying fairly hefty rates to stay and having no wifi is a bit of a farce. I mean do I really have to walk down the street and sit in Starbucks in order to send an email?

Above criticism aside, I will definitely return to this hotel and would never hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ManitobaDick

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This Hilton is ok and handy for Euston station etc. It's often cheaper, I've found so worth a go if you're not looking for luxury. The staff were very helpful and welcoming, this more than made up for the sometimes shabby finishes.

Well worth what I paid in London, on balance , I'd go back but wouldn't be my first choice in London.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Would not have wanted to pay full price for this hotel, but got a very good deal booking late and was, therefore, pleased.
Bed was lovely and comfortable, however the shower was feeble and temperature inconsistent. There was an unpleasant slight public toilet smell in the bathroom.
Location is excellent (short walk from Kings Cross / St Pancras). Breakfast was really nice and plentiful (ordered room service) room service was very good, they called me to check whether I wanted my prunes stoned or not!
Reception was a long wait for check in and for check out and yet it wasn't busy!
Would only stay here again if I were able to get a reduced rate

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank monkeychop5
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed for one night and booked last minute, so to be fair, I feel like I got value for money as I paid a low rate.

However, given that it was a Hilton, there were certain things I was disappointed about:
1. Single bed. OK, I was on my own, but I'm not a child and I expect a double bed in a 4 star hotel.
2. Cold room. There is no visible heating in the room and the windows are old and single glazing. So the room was cold.
3. Dodgy shower - with water that kept changing temperature.

There were other things that might annoy other people (small room, for example) but the rest for me was fine. I did report points 2 and 3 at reception - nothing was done. Until that point, the service was excellent.

Good points:
1. Breakfast was good and reasonable value.
2. Very clean
3. Mostly very good service
4. Excellent location

As it stands, it's a good hotel if you get a good deal, but I would avoid paying full rates for this Hilton. There are much better hotels around.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed for 1 night for business. The only strong side is the location near Victoria Station where the eurostar arrives.

The room charge was GBP 200 for a very small room (8m2), even for London standards. Room interior looked a bit run-down, the room itself offering hardly any place to move beyond the bed. For example the two chairs are so close to the bit that it was impossible to sit in them.

The hotel is a 20 min walk away from the shopping district like regent street.
There are much nicer hotels and Hiltons in London.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are seasoned but finicky travelers and found very much to like about this hotel. In fact, we had stayed there on a previous trip to London.

We were newly impressed by the spacious rooms and extremely generous breakfast buffet. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were planning to stay only one night but ended up staying an extra two nights when our flight was cancelled owing to the hurricane in the U.S. We had to change to another room, but the hotel staff managed that for us, moving our luggage for us when we were out for the day.

Location is the only reason I would not give the hotel five stars. It's not inconvenient, but we would have preferred to be closer to major sights and theaters.

Room Tip: We always ask for a quiet room no matter where we stay.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

1987 isn't a vintage year in my memory. To be honest, as I was only 15 my memory can't really help. What I do remember is the late eighties aren't going to be fondly referred to as a zenith in cultural terms or more specifically hotel design.

Wall to wall wood paneling. Brutal marble sinks. 3 tonne cathode ray TV's. The ubiquitous Corby trouser press.

Which does rather beg the question, why an international hotel chain such as Hilton are so keen to preserve the horrors of such a maligned and misunderstood era. But preserve they have - and to be honest they've preserved rather well.

The room is something of a timewarp - Not old and tatty. More old and polished. In fact it's almost as if the following 30 + years of development in interior design just never happened.

Yup, the bed was comfortable. The lights all worked. The shower had water of a decent pressure and temperature. There was even a selection of magazines from 2012.

On the downsides as the building dates from a good hundred plus years prior to good old '87, the insulation from outside noise isn't great...unless you happen to enjoy the dulcet tones of bin lorries at 4am. I'm not a massive fan I have to admit.

So, a perfectly acceptable place to stay...but only if you can get a Lastminute deal - I paid £56 and it felt decent value. If you pay more than double this I think you'll be disappointed...unless of course you are a lover of all things Eighties...in which case it will probably rock your pop socks right off...and even has parking for your Ford Sierra I believe.

Room Tip: Go Secret Hotel on Lastminute for a better deal. Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the main r...