“The perfect family location”

Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London
Ranked #360 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin
“The perfect family location”
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Travelled to London a few times and always struggled to find a place in the heart of it all that catered for families at a reasonable rate,that issue has now been solved,we stayed four nights and found the the room to be comfortable for the four of us,the kitchenette very useful,it helped that a mini sainsbury is only across the road,also found the staff to be extremely helpful,we arrived at ten in the morning and check-in wasn't till two,but no problem,they just found us an alternative room and let us in so we could start our stay that little bit more relaxed,located in a good area,two minutes from holborn tube station,five minutes to oxford street,less to Picidilly circus/covent garden etc,
In short, an excellent choice,

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank gman5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I spent two nights here during the WTM event and since my own event was planned last minute, hotel rates were sky-high. This place is very convenient to my work so I really don't have any complaints about that and if you're just sleeping here for a night or 2 than it's fine, but if you're spending much time there, than I would choose someone else.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming and although there were some complaints on the room, every time I needed something, someone was up there to help immediately. The blanket on the bed was so thin that I was freezing the first night, but they immediately brought up another blanket when I asked the next day. I also had problems with the TV being hooked up properly, however, again, someone came up and fixed it right away.

I know this place is supposed to be more of an extended-stay accommodation, but I didn't find it comfortable enough for even a few nights. The bathroom towels were thin and the bathroom was very small. I didn't use the kitchen at all, but it probably wouldn't been fine for a short stay as it had all the basics.

The room was fine, a decent size, however the agent on the phone made a point of the room having a 'real' bed (even though it was a fold out couch). This was nothing like a real bed and was very uncomfortable.

The price was still pretty steep, but like I said, the whole city was packed so that's to be expected. If they were offered a good deal, I may consider staying for a single night and just make sure to get the extra blankets at check in.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank laurengucsb
Orange County, California
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Just got home last night from an eight night stay. Upon arrival, Khardiata at reception was very helpful in staightening out a situation that I accidentally created myself. The room itself was remarkable large for the price we paid: two comfy twin beds, a small but well stocked kitchen, and a decent bathroom. We were aware in advance that we would only be visited by housekeeping once during our stay, which was fine. Excellent tube and bus connections nearby, as well as a large variety of restaurants of all prices and a large Sainsbury grocery store nearby. Never smelled stinky food smells in the hallway even once. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B_M_Johnson
Odense
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I think this Hotel is very good but not luxury though. Clean and the staff is friendly and welcoming.

The service was very good I can take two examples from that, on my first night I spilled water all over the floor by accident and a staff member came up and clean it up with a smile on his face.

My flight was delayed for 6 hours and that meant I was leaving at 6 AM rather than midnight, and the staff let me stay in a hotel room there for four hours free of charge...:)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Stones9900
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Stayed here this weekend with teenage daughter. The staff were very helpful and friendly, they made us very welcome. The lovely man on reception offered us a choice of rooms and we were very happy with the room we got. We had two single beds which were very comfortable . There was a very well equipped kitchenette and a flat screen tv with freeview channels. The apartments were in a good local with excellent transport nearby. There are also lots of places to get food nearby. We will be back soon

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed here for 1 week. The room was the size of an ordinary london hotel room with a small kitchen indented into the wall, separate bathroom with one very thin towell supplied for the whole week, scratchy 1 roll of toilet paper and a cheap uncomfortable sofa bed which left my back aching the whole time and for days afterwards. I did not do any cooking as too tired at night and also food expensive to buy and cook, just the same price to buy takeaway or eat in cheap pub etc. The hallway really stank of curry smells all the time and the reception staff were unhelpful. I should have stayed in a nice hotel for the same price!!! Location good but on very busy road.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sue059
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Citadines is a well known brand of extended stay hotels, if your French. Their rooms come at TWO price points. If you pay in advance a none refundable rate, its affordabe. HOWEVER, if you want the right to reserve, not pay till after you've used the room, and have the option of cancelling, then its about twice as much. So while most folks here paid 150 pounds a night, I paid only 75. The cheap fair is ONLY available via THEIR OWN web site.

The location of this hotel is STELLER. Its a 2 minute walk to the Holburn station (one stop away from the 1/2 price ticket booth at Leiscter square for you theater addicts), and there's a FULL sized grocery store (Sainsbury's) right next door to the station. There are also a full selection of resturants, including two take out sushi joints, a macdonalds and a krispy kreme for homesick Americans, a bunch of sandwhich shops, pubs, pizza, and a really tasty french takeout bakery type place. About a 5 minute walk away (in either direction) are post offices, and for those who don't know, in the UK post offices generally include money exchanges that do NOT charge horrible fees. Banks won't do it for you unless you've got an account with them.

I've been here 24 hours and am writing from the hotel room. I'm in one of the studio apartments. By UK standards, the room is very roomy, its normal size for the U.S. The interior design is highly Ikea / institutional, but very functional. In fact it reminds me of a really nice dorm room WITH a tiny kitchen. The room includes a desk, a 42" flat screen TV with ALL the british cable channels, 2 chairs, a couch that converts to pull out bed (and is as comforable as those things usually are), and a table upon which has a hardwire modem on it (they provide the wire).

Two small complaints. Firstly, there's an overall shortage of electric plugs, so much so that the desk for your laptop does not have a free plug for it, forcing me to unplug a lamp. There's another single plug by the bed, so I could recharge my cell, but I've had to use the plug in the kitchen for my handheld. Secondly, the bed came with one light blanket, and I found myself calling down late at night for more. Between the call, and the delivery, was more than a 1/2 hour, I know this for sure because a full TV show passed. So, you might want to ask for the extra blankets well before you head to sleep. However, the place is very clean, and fairly functional, and I have yet to hear a peep from any the ajoining rooms.

The aforementioned kitchen is small but well appointed. It has with a micro, an eletric kettle, a toaster, a stove, 2 of every dish, cup, ect, a small sauce pan and medium size soup pan, but no fry pan; there are also some cooking tools, etc.

The bathroom is relatively roomy for a hotel, and VERY clean. I'm on the top floor, and the water pressure is a bit wonky. During my shower, I was aware of every time someone below me turned on their tap or flushed a toilet, because there were tempreture variations... not so much that it was problematic but enough so that I was aware. The water pressure however stayed constant throughout.

During the last 24hours, there have been internet issues at the hotel. I've no way of knowing if this is a contant. It's truely free, which is a nice change in a country where they advertise internet, you get there find its for a 'small' fee, and the fee works out as actually more expensive than your rate back home. Last night they had to reboot the servers, and this morning it was so slow that it took a full 3 minutes to load a basic web page. I called down, and after 2 reboots its finally come back up to speed.

On the issue of customer service, this is a French chain. No offense to the French but their concept of customer service can be something of a slap in the face to Americans, and even worse if you're Japanse. When you call the front desk, expect for it to ring for a while before someone decides that, "oh yah, I'm the only one down here and no one else seems to be answering it, so I should think about picking up since that is part of what I'm getting paid to do.. but maybe if I wait a little more someone else will do it.... oh, guess no... ok if you force me, Hello." Seriously, having spent a bunch of time traveling in France, its a lax attitude you just need to get used to. They eventually do everything you asked them to do and it fairly well, and 1/2 the time that service includes a smile, but its never done in a rush.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo