“Nice location; okay experience”

Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London
Ranked #360 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice location; okay experience”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The apartment-hotel concept is a good one--convenience of self-made meals and modified housekeeping service.

The front desk was lukewarm when checking in, and almost seemed more concerned with their conversation re: their previous night's activities than helping the guests. The room itself was of average cleanliness and style was blah-- the colors appeared washed out and the main complaint (also mentioned by others) was that the TV screen was incredibly small.

The hotel's location and access to the Holborn underground station (as well as two bus stops, one across the street and the other around the corner) made this the redeeming factor in this stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review . I am pleased to learn that overall you have enjoyed your stay. I have noted your comments about the front desk staff and please be assured that I will be following up with the Front Office Manager. I have also noted the comment about the small tv. I would like to share with you that we are planning to change them all at the beginning of next year.

Once again thank you for choosing Citadines for your stay and I hope I can welcome you again soon.

Germana Genovese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here on 22nd September with my wife and 2 children as we were seeing the Lion King and read it was a good location, which it was. I had emailed the hotel previous regarding an early checkin as our show was at 2.30pm and checkin was 3pm, We were emailed with a maybe!! We arrived at 12 midday but were told we good not checkin. Huge dissapointment as we wanted to change and freshen up. We eventually checked in around 8pm as we were tired and the kids were exhausted, i have one teenage daughter and a 11 year old son, there was only one double bed and a settee. I went down to reception and mentioned this. He had forgot which room were in a said we could have 2 rooms near each other with free breakfast, then said we couldnt as he realised we had a bed settee. In the end after a lenghty discussion he retracted the free breakfast and said just pull the bed out. I left as i wasnt getting anywhere. My daughter and son had to sleep together, she is 13 and wasnt happy at all. We like to come to London every now and then and this hotel is right next to Holborn tube which is handy but wont be coming back to this hotel. Also It was not worth nearly £300 a night with no breakfast. On the plus side it was clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Biggie_d_69
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Citadines prestige Holborn Covent Garden hotel, I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences on this site.

Naturally your comments are deeply concerning to both myself and my team, who all share a passion for great customer service. Please be assured your experience is completely incongruous, as many reviews on this site demonstrate. However one review such as this is one too many I am extremely embarrassed that your time with us was marred by so many issues.

It would be churlish of me to try to justify the situation; clearly we failed you as a guest.

I would like to apologize that you had such an unacceptable experience, as a first time guests to the Citadines we missed a vital opportunity to win your loyalty, I can only hope we have an opportunity to alter your current perception in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Don't believe the pictures. This is a dreary place, dark, with very small rooms and few creature comforts. On the plus side, it's clean and the adequate kitchen is well supplied, but there's only a desk and one chair to serve as a place to eat what you prepare. Basically a fancy hostel with a hairdryer for a third star.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.
I was so sorry to learn that you feel this way about the Hotel and the points you have mentioned,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a very conveniently located self-catering hotel with a Waitrose opposite. The staff are very polite and helpful.The kitchen area is smaller than in other Citadines, but the bedroom area is larger. However as we were preparing to go to bed we noticed bedbugs crawling out of the headboard and up the wall. We left.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Fromeview
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review which I was extremely concerned to read.
I am so sorry for the problems you experienced and would like to offer you my personal apologies. I will certainly follow up your comments about the bed bugs with my teamand thank you for bringing this to my attention.I can assure you that the problem has been addressed and has now been resolved.
I do hope you will stay with us again so you can experience our hotel as I would have liked you to on this visit. If you do return, please do let us know as I would like to meet with you personally.
With my best wishes,
Bangkok
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have to say that this hotel is located at a very convenient location, only about 50 meters to Holborn Underground Station. It's walking distance to Covent Garden, Soho, and Picadilly Circus. I booked 2 nights in a bedroom, and it is very spacious for London standard and for the price. However, the first thing we notice is the mattress. It's so thin you can feel the bed platform beneath. I wouldn't even call it a mattress because it's more like a sponge bed you found in one of those cheap pullout sofabed in a cheap motel. Speaking of the sofabed, it's even worse than the bed. I had to sleep on the sofa instead. Now, the ultimate downside of this hotel is the air conditioning unit. From the very first day, I complained to the front desk that the A/C is not working. They just give me some advice to turn the dial to the lowest setting. I did as I was told, but the room is still uncomfortably hot (even if we open the windows). To make matter worse, the A/C automatically shuts down every 20 to 30 minutes. I had to wake up in intervals throughout the night to turn the A/C back on! The following day, I complained to the front desk again...and the only thing they can do is to send up a mini fan. Horrible experience...cant sleep because of uncomfortable bed, stuffy room, and auto shutdown A/C. I think I would consider staying here during the winter only.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TeeBkk
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Good location, walking distance to Oxford St, Covent Garden, etc.
Tube station Holborn just next door.
Very convenient around hotel, restaurants, stores, shops, coffee shops.
One bebroom size ok can be larger. And Sofa bed not so good, poor sleep quality in sofa bed, bedroom bed is fine.
Shower bath tub too high to get in and out, can be dangerous.
TV too small, its so cheap now I think this can be improved.
Service is good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.
Extremely sorry for a couple of frustrations you experienced during your stay but so delighted you enjoyed your overall visit. I have noted your comments about the sofa bed and i am currently looking into replacing the mattresses with a better quality one.I hope you will come back again and let us have your feedback about the enhancements we are planning to make
With my best wishes,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at the Citadines Prestige Holborn hotel for only 3 nights in September 2013. The hotel is very modern looking, clean, conveniently located and quiet. Remember it is NOT a full service hotel. No restaurant, no room service and while it has daily cleaning, it only does full room cleans only twice a week. (Towels were replaced and bed was made everyday). But for us these were all bonuses and who wants to eat at the over priced restaurants most hotels offer anyway. Not to mention the room services charges on top of that. There are dozens of restaurants minutes away in any direction.

We did not pay for the breakfast as we like to sleep in and the rooms came with a kitchen. Small fridge, microwave, stove-top, sink and pots, pans, dishes, cups, cutlery, etc.

The room itself was also very modern, clean, had lots of storage for clothes, etc. 2 good size closets with place to hang clothes as well as about 5 good size shelves in each. More electrical outlets than in any other hotel room I have been in. And so many conveniently located where they can be used. Alot of thought went into designing the room to make it useful for visitors on vacation or business.

There is a safe, blow dryer and iron all in the room. Free internet; Wifi or direct connection, a desk, a couple of chairs.

The room had a desk, a small table, 2 chairs and even 2 more foldout chairs that were stored in 1 of the closets. The bathroom was a good size and again very modern and new looking, just like the rest of the hotel. The only minor thing with the shower was that it was long and narrow and used a shower curtain. I did not like the way the shower curtain moved around and stuck to my body sometimes. It should of been hung a foot away from the tub. But this is very minor compared to sooo many positives.

The bed was 2 singles pushed together as a double/queen size. It was very comfortable. It had a night table on either side and even a mantle behind it for your watch or iPhone to rest/charge as you slept.

Because reasonably priced, clean, contemporary European hotels are very heard to find, the Citadines Prestige Holborn very much exceeded my expectations. There is even a small gym with a good amount of equipment.

If your room is not ready they have a secure luggage room. Even though it is secure and they give you labels for your bags, within the room they have individual lockers that you can set your own combination on. I felt they were securely stored.

They have a coffee machine in the lobby so even if you don't partake of their breakfast you can get a cappuccino, latte, etc on your way out in the morning.

Nearby are 2 large supermarkets, the tube station connecting to 2 main lines is only about 1 minute away. There are also many restaurants to eat at for quick bites, like itsu and Pret a Manger, etc. Holborn is only 2 tube stops from Oxford Circus or Piccadilly Circus.

Any time I am in London or any European or Asian city I plan to find a Citadines again.

I will fully recommend this hotel to all friends and I wish they had locations across North America.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allan-Ottawa
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating a fantastic experience and that you have become such a fan of our service and amenities.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Sincerely