“All about the location”

Ranked #358 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
“All about the location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed recently at the Citadines which we chose based upon location and price... And have to say we were not disappointed.. You can't compare the quality for the price in London. Situated 10 minute walk to Covent garden or 2 minutes from the tube, we walked to the Thames in 15 minutes and Trafalgar square in 20 minutes. We stayed in an apartment which was clean and modern, as was all the hotel facilities. The room had a small hob ,microwave and fridge.. which we did not use but would have been ideal if we stayed for a longer period, the tv's are small (about 17 inch) but they really do need to be larger sometimes you just need to kick back after wondering around all day. The staff were all pleasant and there is a luggage room you can use to store your bags on the day of your checkin/out.

• Stayed May 2013
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at Citadines Prestige Holborn and you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. For your next visit consider booking through our own website where you will find the best deals including complimentary internet.
Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your stay.
Germana genovese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was a small business hotel, unless you will spring for a 1 bedroom suite then I may pass on this. The rooms, studios are very small, they have a minimal approach to furniture and appointments, however, they do have a kitchen in the room. If you need a clean room to sleep, make your own snacks and wish to be alone, then this is fine. I have to admit when I travel I don't need all the bells and whistles of a big fancy hotel but this is a bit to trimmed down for me.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and get a 1 bedroom, the Studio's are not worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CHSBangkok
Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to read your comments and delighted to hear that overall you had a good experience .I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.
With best wishes,
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We wanted a place to stay in London with a kitchenette, close proximity to tube and supermarket - these were all fulfilled by Citadines, and it was within walking distance of Leicester square, chinatown, Trafalgar square, and the theatre district, to boot.

But it is for the response to the unforeseen that brings it up to 5 stars - my wife took a nasty tumble just across the road from the Citadines (suffering a concussion and eventually requiring stitches to the chin). Paul, the assistant manager, quickly called for the ambulance and provided very professional first aid till they arrived. This was followed up with the pleasant surprise of some flowers on our return from the hospital later that evening, and we were able to enjoy the rest of our stay.

We have generally liked the Citadines organisation but this turns us into fans!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TWontour
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating a fantastic experience and that you have become such a fan of our service and amenities. I also would like to thank you for your comments about Paul, he is an invaluable asset for my team, thank you for recognising his efforts.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just like another reviewer, Sona A, this was our preferred accommodation due to its location in London - a short walk to Covent garden and a tube across the road.
We have also stayed at the apartments in Melbourne, Australia, so trust the brand.
This trip we spent 7 nights at this hotel.
The only good points were the location and the gym.
The bed simply ruined our stay. It was one of those ones that is two single mattresses zipped together and had no cover over that (except the sheet) so you could feel the zipper. The mattress was lumpy and in the end, after the first night, we turned it around ourselves (so where our feet had been was at the top of the bed) which made it a little less lumpy. The base squeeked, too.
On top of all this, it was a VERY short bed. I awoke every morning with my head about two inches from the wall and my feet over the end of the bed which was not very good, given that I'm only 168cm tall.
The staff on reception were lovely, but when I mentioned the bed, they told me the mattresses were brand new. If that was the case (which I sincerely doubt) they were cheap and nasty.
To top off the bed, the floors were not swept once during our stay and there was so much dust underfoot that I had to wipe my feet before putting my shoes on to go out. Gross!
Thank goodness it was only somewhere to sleep while we enjoyed London.
To be honest, if we hadn't pre-paid a non refunded rate, I would have checked out after the first night.
I apologise for selecting terrible rating for the swimming pool which they don't have.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kattkattkatty
Dear Guest

I regret to learn that your stay was impeded by the issues you have highlighted in your feedback .Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that we may have caused you. I have shared your experience with my executive team so we may provide the additional training to further improve the services and courtesies we extend to our guests.

I sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. Kindly please call me when your travels next bring you to London so that I may personally ensure that you have a much better experience.

Kind regards
Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Good to have this on the door step of the tube. I have a few pros and cons, the cons I experienced were all dealt with upon completion of the citadines survey with 100% professionalism.

Pros - Good location for central London
Better service experience than expected as its serviced appartments not a hotel
Excellent lounge area, luggage room, general public area facilities.
The quietest room I have ever stayed in at any London residence.
Good feeling of security in terms of a key required for the lift for example
Superb staff who were professional to the hilt, a credit to the industry both front of house and housekeeping/maintenance
Reasonably priced
Plenty of hot water.
Great online booking process and follow up
Will recommend to others
Great location for transport links, also ideal for the self catering side of things as 2 major multiples are within 30 seconds and 2 minutes. As are fast food chains or late night take aways.

Cons - There was a lot of door entry noise from the other rooms, I am told this is being looked at.
I found the beds terribly uncomfortable, when I reported it after night 1 they duly replaced the mattress but it was stil uncomfortable. I can only conclude I had an isolated experience in our room as no-one else has mentioned it - again I have had a personal response on this and I am satisfied with the reaction to my feedback.
There was an annoying noise in our room - again already covered off.

Personal preference
I do feel there should be larger tvs in the rooms as when you do have downtime on a trip it is nice to put on even if its for the news.
Also feel that luxury comes in the form of bath sheets not bath towels these days
I am only 5"3 and I found it a struggle to get in and out of the high bath panels for the shower, using the provided anti slip mat helped a little. Would prefer there not to be shower curtains as one move and they cling to you.
Room was small (its a city so floor space is at a premium I know) so relaxing could really only be done on the bed even though there were chairs provided it was not possible to both watch the news on tv from the chairs/space. But this room was the only option I could see without contacting the hotel for a twin occupancy.

Please note that the "cons" have in no way deterred me from revisiting nor recommending this aparthotel. As I said it has been dealt with to my satisfaction. They are listed for honesty of feedback not to belittle this offering as you will see from my very good rating

These serviced appartments were perfect for the flexibility we were looking for, the level of service was a total credit to the industry. You can tell each member has a remit that is followed!Should I wish to be in the same area again I wouldnt look at other accomodation as this did tick all of the boxes for the money paid

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments really are appreciated. Our location is ideal for getting around in the city, but the best part of the hotel is the staff. Thank you for recognizing their efforts! We hope to see you soon!, We very much hope to welcome you back very soon and until then we send you our very best wishes

Baku
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

thanks to location and proxmity to the tube station this was one of my preferred hotelsbefore . My last trip was a horrible experience. First I was given a room with singe bed, although we booked the double bed. when I told them about their mistake they apologised and gave me the keys for another room. Yes the room was with double bed but it was for disabled. I told them that such rooms may be requested by someone who would appreciate the facilities more than I do. They apologised again and gave me standard room with double bed just as I requested. I stayed there for a week, everything broke down: coffee machine, elevators. rooms were dirty, becase no one did ANYTHING except for changing towels for the whole week. When at the end of our stay, in fact the day before we checked out they finally DID clean the room, they left the dirty pillowcase IN THE BED and replaced the duvet cover with torn one! They charge 9 GBP for you to do your own laundry. definitely not going back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sona A
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Citadines prestige Holborn Covent Garden hotel, I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences on this site.

Naturally your comments are deeply concerning to both myself and my team, who all share a passion for great customer service. Please be assured your experience is completely incongruous, as many reviews on this site demonstrate. However one review such as this is one too many I am extremely embarrassed that your time with us was marred by so many issues.

It would be churlish of me to try to justify the situation; clearly we failed you as a guest.

I would like to apologize that you had such an unacceptable experience, as a first time guests to the Citadines we missed a vital opportunity to win your loyalty, I can only hope we have an opportunity to alter your current perception in the future.

Regards
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The rooms here are small if you are used to US standards but they are clean, neat, and serve the purpose for a trip where you will probably spend little time in the room.
There are several grocery stores and cafes right across the street - Sainsbury, Waitrose - and a Pizza Express next door. This makes it easy to pick up food items for days you don't feel like eating out or just need to grab something quick. Plus rooms have a stove, sink, fridge, microwave, and silverware.
The Holborn station is across the street and there are two bus stands next to the hotel. Soho and Covent Garden are within walking distance, plus several pubs and upscale restaurants nearby.
There is complementary coffee and tea all day in the downstairs breakfast area, WIFI included in your stay and room service was great.
All in all we would definitely stay here again! Yes, the TV is quite small but honestly this is probably not the reason most people are visiting London!

Room Tip: We had a corner suite which had nice large windows all along the suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating a good experience and that you have become a fan of our service and amenities.

Sincerely