“Good, clean and convenient central base”

Mercure London Bloomsbury
Ranked #374 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights for a business trip to London on my own. Hotel chosen for close location to the customer but also competitive price, etc.

Room > I got quite a small room with a tight squeeze in the bathroom for the sink, toilet and cubicle "rain burst" style shower. The double bed also had a few spare feet either sides of it. It was perfectly clean though and being at the back of the block it was very quiet. So a comfortable, clean and quiet room which suited my needs just fine.

Food/Drink > Superb breakfast with a full buffet (hot and cold) with special orderable options too inc my favourite Eggs Benedict. If you don't get breakfast included in your deal perhaps the £17 price is a bit steep given the vast number of cafes within 1-2 mins walk. I didn't eat or drink in the hotel so can't comment on the bar or restaurant but they did look just fine as I walked past a few times.

Staff > Very polite and helpful right through from reception to the dining room.

Summary > Very good base and one I'd be pleased to return to - perhaps requesting a larger room if I was travelling with a partner.

1  Thank ForestSDMC
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you shared your experiences on Tripadvisor about your business trip to our hotel.

It is a pleasure to hear that we were able to live up to your expectations and hope to welcome you back for your next trip to London.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Clean and well maintained hotel but it has been refurbished recently.
No problems with check in.
Fridge in room which I thought was a good idea especially. I had been upgraded though so I am not sure if this would be available in standard rooms.
Check out was not so good . When I checked my bill when I got back I had been given some else's even though I had paid the correct one. When I tried to sort this out on phone i had to call a couple of numbers as they could not transfer and in one conversation I was called love and darling which is not very customer focused. Issue was sorted though.
Breakfast good but no one came to offer me coffee or toast for the whole time I was in the restaurant.

Room Tip: See if you can get a free upgrade.
1  Thank 19ilovefood

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We were disappointed to hear that you encountered an issue with your receipt and we would like to apologies. After speaking with my Front Office team, it was confirmed to me that we were able to provide you with the correct receipt by email.

We appreciate your comments about the service and will review it with the concerned parties.

Once again please accept our sincerest apologies and we hope to welcome you back for a genuine hassle-free stay.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I booked this as a 'mystery hotel' and got a good price. It is centrally located close to Russell Square tube and an easy walk from Euston or St Pancras, it's a good mid-range city hotel. My room was a single and fairly compact with a window overlooking a courtyard, which meant it was quiet. It was a hot day but the fan worked well. The bathroom was modern and well -equipped with a large shower. Tea and coffee making facilities are in the room as well as a complimentary bottle of water. No nespresso machine though which others had - just the usual kettle and sachets of tea and coffee.

I had breakfast and it was reasonable - a buffet of hot and cold food with a good range. Recommended if you can get a room for a good price.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time share your experience of your first stay with us on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you felt comfortable at th hotel and had an enjoyable time in London.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Hard to find a decently priced hotel in central London that is of a decent quality but am glad I managed to stumble upon this gem that does as it says on the tin. Stayed here at the start of July and paid GBP130 ish pounds per night for a double room with no breakfast. Our room was small with no view (was not fussed about having a view) but had enough room for suitcases on the floor and it was nice and clean. The only painpoint was the fact that the doors or walls seemed to be very thin and each morning we were woken up the constant slamming of bedroom doors. Tea/coffee making facilities are provided and there was even a choice of hot chocolate and some Walkers shortbread! The hotel is a GBP12-15 taxi ride from Paddington station if you are taking the Heathrow Express into town.

Not much around the area as it's dominated by the university and other language centres. Plenty of coffee shops and restaurants around though and the hotel is less than a 10 min walk to Russell Sq tube station and perhaps a little further for Holborn.

Luggage storing facilities are free (have never actually stayed anywhere where this service is charged!) and the concierge was very friendly.

Overall a great stay and will definetly be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We are glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations and you had an enjoyable time at the hotel.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in June as part of our honeymoon, the staff where so helpful and professional. When we got too our room they had left us a little gift and welcome note on our bed , our room was lovely and quite and I loved the nespresso machine what a treat !!! The room was cleaned daily , although a little snug but had everything we needed, thanks for a great stay !!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your review about your recent stay with us.

We are glad to hear that we were able to make the part of your Honeymoon trip in London a special one and hope to welcome you back for your next visit.