“Shopping holiday”

Mercure London Bloomsbury
Ranked #389 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The hotel was well located near Bristish Museum and only walking distance from Covent Garden. Two metro stations close by. Very friendly staff and good breakfast. Rooms pretty standard. Good value for money!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time and could take great advantage of our central location for your shopping trip. We hope to welcome you back soon.

994 - 1,000 of 2,168 reviews

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We always see the New Year in London and stay at a different four star hotel each time. Leaving the booking until last minute this year, we did not have many options but the Mercure sounded good and was ideally situated for all the west end attractions. The reception process was the quickest we've ever known and the staff were lovely throughout our stay... very friendly and cheerful. Incidentally, these were the only hotel staff we've come across who have gone out of their way to wish us all the very best for the New Year and insist on shaking our hands. As we approached room 102 on the first floor we were aware of a very stale fusty smell in the corridor. It was even worse inside the room. In fairness to the hotel, the smell may have come in from outside but it was oppressive. After settling in we mentioned it to the reception staff as we left for a walkabout and asked if housekeeping could spray some air freshener around. The staff were horrified and very apologetic. Whether anyone did do something or not, the smell was just as bad when we returned three hours later. It persisted for the two days of our stay. This could be specific to our room which overlooked a grubby back alley, so please do not think that this is a common occurrence with this hotel as no one else we spoke to was suffering as we did. As you will see from one of our photos, there was barely enough room between the end of the bed and the radiator to get over to the coffee making facilities. We are both average build but I would imagine that larger framed guests would not be able to navigate this obstacle with only five to six inches through which to squeeze. Hotel groups have to make the most of what they have but this space limitation did not strike us as typical of four star establishments. One other 'grumble' was the lack of a fridge. Even if we have not intended using the minibar because of the cost in other hotels, we have never known there to be no fridge at all and we missed it. Maybe our smallish room was exceptional in not having one but we forgot to ask other guests if they had one. The room was spotless with a very comfy bed, loads of luxurious pillows and extra bedding if we had wanted it. The bathroom was most of the nicest we've come across with a lovely shower unit and illuminated mirror that came on automatically when someone entered the room. This was a really useful feature avoiding the need to disturb the other guest by putting lights on in advance though the pictured blue led lights leading the way to the bathroom which stayed on all the time the main lights were turned off, were a little too bright keeping both of us awake the first night. Breakfast was to die for! As a French group you would expect the food to be good and it was... the best breakfast we've ever had ! The scrambled eggs were cooked to perfection not hard and dried out as so often happens in hotels. All food was brought out in relatively small amounts presumably to ensure everything was consumed quickly while fresh. The choice and frequency of replenishment was superb. We never ate in the evenings but others seemed very happy including a large group of Americans we believed were taking part in the New Years day parade, notoriously difficult to impress hotel guests! Would we stay here again? Yes but we would ask not to be given that particular room. The hotel is in an ideal location well served by public transport, supermarkets and alternative restaurants. The staff are wonderful, food is excellent and rooms very comfortable. Please do not be put off by our niggles, I believe they were specific to that one room but any review must accurately reflect your experience or it is meaningless. Respectfully, perhaps the management should consider closing that room to paying guests and using it for say storage?

Room Tip: Avoid 102 ! All floors are quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent experiences with us. We were disapponted to hear that you have not been satisfied with the room allocated to you by our staff. Due to the design of the Victorian building the hotel is situated in all rooms are having a different size as well as shape and we sincerely apologise if this room has not met your expectations. Every room is provided with complimentary bottles of water and as we are having a 24 hours room service we are not providing a minibar in our rooms. Please be advised that we are having fridges subject to availablility upon request. We certainly were delighted to hear that you truely enjoyed your breakfast experience as well as the freindly and helpful staff in all our departments. Your feedback is very important to us and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel for a genuine hassle-free stay.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed for a night at this hotel. The whole place is immaculate and the room was small, but perfectly formed. As well as the usual luxuries in the room, I was pleased to see there was a Nespresso coffee machine, and a room safe included. The LED ceiling lighting was a good design touch, and helped make the room feel larger. I had a room overlooking the central light well of the building, which helped to ensure a peaceful night's sleep, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was gleaming, and the shower plenty powerful enough. Breakfast in the morning wasn't included on my room rate, but for £10 extra it was money well spent - good range, great service and unrushed. Perfect. What made my stay though were the staff - all those who I met were friendly, helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. Thoroughly recommended, and I will be staying at the hotel again.

1  Thank Rob S

Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure reading your lovely review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you specifically enjoyed our helful and freindly staff throughout the departments and that you have been satisfied with all room amenities provided. We are looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel for your next trip to London.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Kip S

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The first thing I noticed when I walked into this hotel, was the two receptionists standing behind their desks with the most genuine of welcoming smiles. I defy anyone to have a bad stay after a welcome like that. Check in was very fast and efficient and about one minute after walking in I was pressing the button for the lift. As other contributors have said the rooms (mine was a standard double) are cosy, but not unreasonably small. Everything you need is there and it is more than adequate for a one or two night stay. For me the two best things about this hotel were the cleanliness and the service. The room was spotless and the bathroom positively gleaming!! I would much rather have a small clean room than a big dirty one!! As for service, I have mentioned the lovely receptionists but also when I got to my room I found that the remote control wasn't working. I rang reception and quick as a flash they sent someone to sort it. The lady from housekeeping who they sent was lovely. She had a really easy friendly manner. She was chatting away as she worked, only small talk but still very engaging. As it turned out I needed new batteries. She went away and came back really quickly with batteries and a little screwdriver, sorted the problem and off she went, cheery as you like!! Maybe I am easily pleased but give me a clean room and cheery staff and I'm happy. I will definitely return. My summing up of this review? I guess it is not to be put off by other contributors who have complained about the small rooms. The rooms are small, but as my husband always tells me, size isn't everything!!!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your recent experiences with us. We are absolutely delighted that you have been so satisfied with the clealiness and especially the friendly and helpful services provided by our staff. We ceratinly hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 30 th - 1st jan and I've never been so impressed with a stay before. The rooms were spotless the bathroom was modern the beds were comfy. The breakfast was lovely had lots of choice! The staff were very welcoming and helpful..

I am defiantly looking to return in a couple of weeks when it's feburary half term! And hopefully get the same room! So thankyou Mercure hotel & hopefully see you in a few weeks!

(Would recommend to anyone)

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,
It was a real pleasure reading your lovely review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay and are already looking forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed in a single room (and it really was a single). The bed was comfortable but the room and bathroom were relatively small. Generally the room was well-appointed (no exciting surprises, but the normal stuff was there). The wardrobe has loads of shelves in it, which is a bit of an irritation if you want to hang up anything longer than a shirt - I had to sling my dress over the back of the chair.

The water in the shower was plentiful and properly hot, but more towels wouldn't go amiss (one bath sheet and one hand towel don't go far if you have long hair). The motion-sensitive bathroom light that turns itself on every time you move (even if you're just turning over in bed and the bathroom door is shut) is massively irritating, though, and kept waking me up. I was also in a room on the first floor facing the busy road, which may have added to my restlessness a bit (although in fairness, the room was laid out to minimise this, and the glazing was very good).

The staff were friendly and helpful and overall it was fine for what I needed, which was a place to crash (I had plans that involved checking out before 5am - I actually felt a bit wasteful doing that so was half-glad it wasn't really amazing!). I got the room as a (fairly) cheap last-minute deal, making it reasonable for what I was after - I'd probably be less enthusiastic about a long stay, or had I been there for anything special.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate that you took the time to review your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear that the overnight stay suited your needs on this occassion. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.