“Poor customer care”

Mercure London Bloomsbury
Ranked #390 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and everything was fine. The room was tiny but that was quite expected as it's central London we are talking about, the room was clean. We go to sleep after a busy day and night in London, and are woken up at 6 am by some moron who is slamming the door next door about 20 times. We go up and tell the dude to shut *** **** up. He claims the door is broken. Which obviously is a lie, he could have closed it quietly if he wanted too. But the doors are noisy and close very hard if they are just left to close by them selves, unlike most hotel doors. Bad for the range of hotels, but not really terrible. The hotel personel on the other hand have an attitude similar to "ehh, soo, we cant do anything about that" "so?!?!?". This i find very poor, and it was not one person, but several of them. They tried to insinuate that I was a spoiled brat, which I did not like at all. Therefore I do not recommend this place, the staff is very poor, very poor... Avoid.

Room Tip: Ask if you are the only one on your floor, otherwise stay away.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Magnus C
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at the Mercure London Bloomsbury. We were disappointed to hear about your early morning experience. Please feel free to write an email to gblack@mercurebloomsbury to this discuss this matter further.

The Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I took my daughters to London for a treat weekend just gone and this hotel proved to be excellent. We've stayed in many hotels in London (usually review thro' husband's login) and fed up of paying exuberant prices for hotels that don't deliver. We arrived early and our room was ready. We had room 101 (!) with three single beds and it was spotlessly clean, spacious and all the little extras that I didn't expect for the price: abundance of tea/coffee, shampoo, body wash and three big mugs on the tray (very welcome).The bathroom was lovely and obviously recently refurbished to a great standard. It was the first time I haven't missed my own bed as it was so comfortable in this room. Yes it was noisy outside our window but I wouldn't have expected anything else to be honest - it was the inconsiderate 2 x couples slamming in and out of their rooms and shouting each other in the same corridor that kept us awake but you can always find idiots wherever you stay. The staff at reception were welcoming and helpful - thank you. We will be returning for our next trip to London.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Damsel8
GregBlack, Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you took the time to write such a lovely review about your treat weekend with your daughters at the Mercure London Bloomsbury. We were delighted to here that you have enjoyed the room with a comfortable bed and all further amenities. Certainly we hope to welcome you and your daughters back at the hotel for your next treat weekend in London.

Kindest regards

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The room for this hotel is clean and it is very convenient. It is located nearby the subway. Recommended for traveller.

The front desk staff are very helpful and they provide us with alot of good advice during our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a nice review about your stay at the Mercure London Bloomsbury and we are glad to hear that you would recommend the hotel further. Our Front Office and Concierge Team is more than happy to provide information and advice about London to help you making the most of your time in London. We are hoping that we can welcome you back at our hotel soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Accor hotels e.mailed me with special offers, one of which was this hotel. We decided to book 3 nights, at £109 per night. We checked in early and found the room was ready, and a pleasant surprise. The reception staff were quick and and efficient, and gave extra information about the hotel, including how to log on to the complimentary Internet. The room was very well appointment, extremely clean and very comfortable.generous amounts of toiletries, and beverages were provided. The room had both air conditioning, and heating, which is unusual in London.after a perfect sleep, breakfast was 1st class with a extensive range of top quality ingredients. All staff were attentive, friendly and helpful at all levels. This hotel made my short break perfect, and something to look forward to return to after a day sightseeing. Highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tonyadl

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your visit at the Mercure London Bloomsbury. We are glad that you find our staff attentive, friendly and helpful at all levels and that you were able to relax after a long day of sightseeing in London. Certainly we are looking forward to welcoming you back at our hotel in the future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed four nights - the first night was in a very small single room (which I think I need to blame my travel agent) and whilst the hotel couldn't move me into a bigger room for the first night they did solve it for the next three nights - the staff were wonderfully friendly, helpful and accommodated all requests. The paper (free) every morning was a nice touch. The hotel is well situated. I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone. Ivan

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Ivan,

We were delighted to hear about your pleasant stay at the Mercure London Bloomsbury. At the hotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at the hotel.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Mecure London Bloomsbury (MLB) was the first stop for my wife and I on our 8 night European vacation split equally between London and Paris. I’d never had the pleasure of travelling to Europe, but had dreamed about it for a long time.

We came across the MLB after our travel agent provided us with a couple of hotels in each city within our price range, and based mostly on the reviews here at TripAdvisor, we decided to book with them.

Okay, so here goes. We flew out of New York around 9PM EST and arrived in London the following morning around 11:30 AM. After making our way to the MLB via the Tube, I was completely shot. In fact, the whole time I was thinking how much it was going to suck that we couldn’t check in until 3 PM, cause’ I really needed a nap. Much to our delight, we were able to check in right away and take a much needed nap. That said, our initial reaction was that the room was really small. I know that European hotels are generally smaller than what we are used to here in the US, but even then, the size of the room took a bit getting used to (ahem, especially when one considers the price. More on this later.)

It might be helpful from here to just go category by category.

Location: I found the location to be terrific if you plan on using the Tube to get to many of the major sites. Both the Russell Square stop (closer to the hotel) and the Holborn Station (a short walk a way) are on the Picadilly Line and accessible from Heathrow (about an hour). Additionally, between the two of them, we were able to make our way around town relatively easily. As a New Yorker, I was really impressed with the Tube and its accessibility. Plus its really clean…at least compared to New York.

P.S. I am by no means a Foodie, but my wife felt that the area lacked a bit in this regard.

Sleep Quality: The bed was a bit small (it was a double, but not sure that it was the same size as the doubles we are used to in the U.S.) Still, it slept fine. My wife did mention that she found the bed a bit soft, but I was fine and the pillows were comfy.

Rooms: As I mentioned above, we both found our room to be a bit on the small side even taking into account that it was expected (for instance, our room in Paris felt much more spacious, and it was by no means huge.) And, if I’m being honest, when one considers the price, it felt even smaller (yeah, yeah, I know, get over it CROTUSman, everything in London is expensive. But still…)

Anyway, since we were there towards the beginning of the week I considered enquiring whether they might have something else that might be a little bigger, but after coming back from breakfast one morning we saw another room in the middle of the hall that was being cleaned, and it was even smaller than ours, so I just bit my tongue.

One last negative, that I’ve seen others mention, was that the bathroom seemed poorly designed. The door on our room wouldn’t open all the way because of a towel rack on the bathroom wall. Not a big deal, but a little annoying. More annoying was the position of the faucet on the sink. I could barely fit my hands underneath the darn thing, and let me tell you, I’ve got tiny little dwarf hands compared to most men (big feet though.)

Anyway, truth be told, after a couple of days it wasn’t that big of a deal, and on the positive, the rooms were modern and very well kept. They also included a full size safe for passports, and laptops (our laptop didn’t fit in our Paris hotel room safe).

P.S. One last thought on the rooms. The WiFi was free as many others mentioned, but we found it a bit dodgy in the evening after we came back from sightseeing. We were on the 5th floor (if that matters) and it worked fine in the morning, but again, it was hit and miss the later the night got.

Cleanliness: As I mentioned, cleanliness is always of paramount concern for me, and there were no issues here. The hotel overall, and the rooms in particular were well kept and pretty much immaculate, so there is no need to worry about any creepy crawlers from my POV. I’ve got a bit of a 6th sense about unwanted visitors and felt good about this place. (I know there was a review recently about a guy who saw a mouse, but either my sensors do not register for rodents, being totally occupied on insects, or it was a one off incident.)

Service: Overall I think we found the service to be average to slightly above average. As I mentioned, I’m a beer drinker, so after a hard day of vacationing, I would pick up some beers at the Tesco Express down the block, and they would be Johnny on the Spot with a bucket of ice. As I mentioned, the cleaning women did a terrific job keeping the place clean.

I suppose my one quibble would be regarding a botched wake up call. I kind of alluded to the fact that our first day was a bit shot because we were jet lagged, so we wanted to make sure we woke up early the next morning to get a good start, so I requested a wake up call for 7:30 AM. We would have just set our cell phones to alarm, but we forgot to purchase a Euro adapter (our bad.)

Anyway, we ended up waking up around 7:45 on our own sans any wake up call. When I got out of the shower around 8, the call finally came. I’ve got to be honest, I was a little pissed. The gentleman at the front desk apologized, but all he would say was that it was that it was now 8 AM.

That just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It’s a cosmopolitan city with travelers visiting from around the world. Yeah, we were only heading to Trafalgar Square, but what if we were flying back to NY, or if we had a business meeting. Not cool.

Value: And last, but not least, value I left this for the end, because all the categories that preceded it influence it. Our stay in London was great, and I got to fulfill a lifelong dream to visit places that I’d only read about. It lived up to it’s billing as a city. The MLB itself was very nice and, as I mentioned, the location was terrific. But here is what you want to know. Would we stay here again?

Well, yes and no. On the one hand, as I mentioned, it was clean and well kept, and I’m sure you could do worse. On the other hand, I think that if we ever get the pleasure of visiting again, we might look around a bit more to see if we could get a bit more for our $. In short, I don’t think the MLB will let you down, but you also might want to temper expectations and accept that “it is what it is” before arrival.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time writing an overall review of your stay at the Mercure London Bloomsbury. Please be assured that we are taking all your mentioned points into consideration for the future to insure a genuine hassle-free stay for our guests. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel.

With kindest regards

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Unlike many hotels, this place has great single rooms at a decent price.
It is a 5 minute walk to the Picadilly line, and 1 hour without a change to Heathrow (if you don't get stuck). It is also a close walk to Euston station and St. Pancras.
It has a nice, central location -- but the rooms are very quiet. There could be better soundproofing between the rooms.... but that's life in a big city.
Everything is new, the wifi works, and the staff is nice.
I will definitely stay here again, when traveling solo to London!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure London Bloomsbury and our central location with great public transport connection. The hotel's staff is looking forward to welcoming you again at your return to London.

Kind regards