“Small Rooms, but great toiletries!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel

Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #380 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Small Rooms, but great toiletries!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here recently on business, and was happy to find out I had been upgraded to an executive room on arrival. The room was perfectly pleasant and nicely laid out with a good size bed. However considering this was an upgraded kingsize room I was surprised as to how small it was. I honestly dread to think what size the doubles and singles must be! The room was also very overlooked by numerous flats right opposite. I am led to believe this is better than a room facing onto the road however as these are noisy.

The positives were the comfy bed, the full range of complimentary toiletries, continental plug sockets and good quality (but noisy) air-conditioning. The TV is wall mounted in a great position and has a large variety of channels if you are planning a comfy night in, or there was a long desk if you wanted to work and don't mind being sandwiched between the desk and wardrobe!

The hotel has free wifi which I think is a strong benefit, and it worked well.

Overall the stay was pleasant enough. However I have just cancelled my other stays here as I think the standard rooms will be too small when you consider the upgraded kingsize was smaller than most other rooms I have stayed in, in London.

Room Tip: Away from the road for a quieter night!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
XParis, Deputy General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth on Tripadvisor.

Due to the shape of the hotel, not all the rooms are the same shape and therefore some of them might be slightly bigger than others and therefore, should you wish to stay with us in the future, I would request you to email me directly to allow me to allocate one of the larger standard rooms.
I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Kenilworth hotel in the near future

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager parisx@radisson.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

OK so London rooms are often small but my double room in this hotel was very small. To give a bit of perspective, I couldn't open the bathroom door fully because of the bathroom mat and there wasn't enough room to put my own toiletries out. I stayed here for four nights and I was pretty worn out at the end of it. There wasn't really much desk space in my room, I couldn't pull the chair out fully or easily as it banged into the bed and had to sit with my knees to the side as the chair wasn't adjustable. There were a couple of handy plug sockets. My room overlooked the street and traffic noise woke me up throughout the night. My room was hot, I did have air con but it was too noisy to keep on whilst resting and there was a strange 'trickling' noise in the walls that I couldn't identify. One of my windows did open, so I could get some air, but that didn't help with noise. I had an ironing board so that was a plus. Room service food wasn't great and I found a piece of plastic wrap in my burger, I didn't report it so to be fair to the hotel I didn't give them the chance to resolve that issue. Breakfast food quality was better but on two of the mornings I wasn't offered a hot drink. The hotel is in a great location, easy walking distance to lots of great parts of town. The bar is quite pleasant for a drink. I don't think a standard double room here is suitable for business guests, maybe if you're a staying as a leisure guest and looking for a great location they might get away with it. I won't be back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.
I would like to assure you that I have discussed your comments regarding the service issues with the hotel management team so they may investigate further and take any corrective action necessary as it is clearly not the usual standards of the hotel.
Due to the shape of the hotel, not all the rooms are the same shape and therefore some of them might be slightly bigger than others. Also, the room you stayed in was not one of our larger rooms being a standard double, however, should you wish to stay with us in the future, I would recommend you to book a deluxe room or please send me an email and I would allocate one of the larger standard rooms.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and feel free to email me prior your next visit and I will make sure that your stay will be 100% to your satisfaction.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Kenilworth hotel in the near future

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager parisx@radisson.com
Gothenburg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth 7-10 June for a business stay. I´ve stayed at Radisson Blu hotels in different cities before - and this is quite far from the standard of those Radisson Blus.
The reception staff was nice enough, but the cleanliness of the room was below average (ie hair from previous occupant in the shower), the air conditioning made a strange, irritating sound and the room was stuffy and too warm (could open the window, thankfully enough). Because I was working non-stop from early morning to late at night, I didn´t bother changing rooms. (Last thing you want to do when returning to your hotel exhausted at the end of a long day).
If I had traveled for pleasure, I definitely would have pressed on for a room change.
If you are sensitive to noise, bring earplugs since the walls are super thin and you can hear doors slam and conversation in the corridor outside the room at different inconvenient times.
The location is good with a short walk to Tottenham Court Rd tube station.
The concierge gave the wrong taxi information the night before my departure, so in the end I hailed my own black cab at 7am in the morning.
Most of the above would have been ok (almost expected) for a 2* rating - but 4*? I want what I paid for. Not pleased.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.
The various issues you have highlighted have already been discussed with the Head of Department concerned for them to take immediate actions as it is not the usual standards of the hotel.
I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future and if I can be of any assistance with regards to future reservation's please do not hesitate to contact me via email.
Kindest Regards,

parisx@radisson.com
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here recently for four nights and found the hotel to be excellent in all respects. The front desk staff and concierge were very polite and helpful, and gave good recommendations for restaurants when we inquired.

It's in a very good location - right next to the very underrated British Museum, and a quick walk from a couple of tube stops. You're near Covent Garden and Piccadilly, so there are a few entertainment options at your disposal as well.

The rooms are definitely snug, but adequate so long as you don't plan on spending a ton of time in there. The bed was a little stiff and the pillow was a little too soft, but I was able to sleep ok. The lobby, room, and bathroom were always very clean, and the attached bar/restaurant provided a good option for a late cocktail or quick breakfast.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to someone visiting London, and would stay here again if I return.

Room Tip: A higher floor will help negate any noise issues. Also, there's a "secret elevator" ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mharrington53
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth. I was very pleased to read such positive comments about our staff & the service provided.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Kenilworth Hotel in the near future.

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in London (Bloomsbury/Soho area) for seven nights in June 2013. We had a terrific trip and would recommend this hotel to others - and would stay at the hotel again.

We liked the hotel for several reasons:
- Great location. It was easy to walk to most tourist areas of the city and it was just a block from the Tottenham Court Road tube station.
- It was very close (walking distance) to lively areas like Soho, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, etc. These areas offer great restaurants and pubs. The hotel itself is slightly off the main drag which kept it relatively quiet.
- Staff members were friendly and helpful. Our safe battery died during our visit and we noticed this at 11:30pm. While I had to call twice to get assistance, the second time I called the person was apologetic for the delay and then was up to our room immediately. He was unable to fix the safe, but gave me instructions for the morning. In the morning, a maintenance person was in our room fixing the safe just moments after I called.
- Rooms are small, but clean. Only negative comment here is that the carpets have stains and do need to be replaced. That said, it didn't feel dirty - just worn.
- Rooms have a refrigerator, safe, and even bathrobes and slippers. The room also had air conditioning - and it worked well. The bathroom included shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel as well as a blow dryer (which was actually in the desk drawer in the room). Note: I do not think they have coffee service in the room, but I don't recall since we did not use it.
- The hotel has a restaurant and bar attached to it. We did not use the restaurant/bar, but it looked inviting and appeared to be open relatively late.

We only have two areas for improvement:
- The carpets are worn and should be replaced.
- The mattress was relatively hard. Not so much that it impaired sleep, but certainly could be softer.

I will say that if you are looking for a high four star/five star hotel, this is not it. But, if you want an attractive, clean, friendly, and well-located hotel, you will not be disappointed.

Tips for travel:
- I highly recommend purchasing and Oyster Card for the tube - this worked flawlessly and we got all around the city easily. Zones 1 and 2 should suffice, but you'll want to purchase Zone 6 as well if you wish to use the tube to get to Heathrow Airport. The cost was something like $35 pounds per person for a 5-day pass. If you return the card on your last day you'll get a refund of $5 pounds per card.
- Use the tube to get to/from Heathrow Airport. The Piccadilly line will get you there or you can buy a Heathrow Express ticket to/from Paddington Station. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel and it cost $130 USD (including a small tip). So, the relatively small price for the tube ticket (which you use multiple times) and a 50 minute tube ride seemed worth it. Also, the taxi ride still took about 40 minutes - so the tube didn't take that much longer.
- Note that all taxis will charge a 10% fee if you pay via credit card.
- Before you leave for England (or any foreign trip), check with your bank to see if they have a relationship with any other bank with regards to withdraw fees. We bank with Bank of America and were able to withdraw money from the Barclays ATM without paying any fees.
- We traveled all over England using the various train systems. It was easy to buy tickets on the day-of and the train schedules were accurate and the trains ran like clockwork.
- Note that most of the big museums stay open late on Friday and Saturday (9pm or 10pm). This is helpful because so many sights close at 6pm - so the late opening allows you to fit more into your day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KNSTraveler
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services provided by the team and also wanted to thank you for the very detailed feedback as well as mentioning so many hotel facilities. We do indeed have tea and coffee facilities in all our bedrooms.
Once again, I do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The team at the hotel continue to offer a really high level of service and very friendly. I usually have room service which is even better than previously with a menu revamp.
Definitely stay here. It's so close to the west end, soho, Chinatown. I think this is a perfect hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth and I am grateful for your complimentary review.

As you mentioned, the hotel is ideally located for exploring London’s landmarks with the British Museum right on the doorstep.

Kind regards,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

In terms of location, it is really excellent, just 2 minutes to Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road tube station. Arrived at the hotel and was greeted by a lady called Kate, who was so nice and helpful. In terms of service, it is generally very good except for one guy at the reception who simply couldn't accommodate a late check-out request despite the availability. However, this was OK given the excellent customer service received from Kate and another person guess his name was Pedro, both were amazing. Also tried the breakfast buffet and was very good. The rooms are pretty small, but doable as this is quite common in Europe. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Yasser76
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel.
I was pleased to read the positive comments about the service provided by Kate and Pedro and the location of the hotel.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future.

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager