“Exemplary customer service” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Exemplary customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

You can't beat this hotel's customer service. I've stayed in many West End hotels over the years and usually found them overpriced and understaffed. I learned about The Montague from a travel agent friend who several years ago introduced me to the Red Carnation chain when I took several family members to London. At that time, we stayed at The Chesterfield Mayfair, which I also remember for its fine customer service. This year, I preferred something closer to Theatreland and The Montague fit the bill perfectly. It's a short walk to almost all of the West End theatres and if you choose a theatre that's a little too far to walk (such as Victoria Palace or London Palladium), there are several Tube stations that are within easy walking distance of the hotel's front door.

My room was ready when I arrived at noon, although check-in time isn't normally until 2 p.m. I was elated to be able to check in right away after my overnight flight from Chicago. Jorge went out of his way to accommodate me upon check in, including a quick trip to the desk for an electrical adapter for my week's stay. The high-speed internet (wireless or wired) is free. Other special needs, such as a bed board and in-room yoga mat for my chronic bad back, were met without delay . There was even an elliptical machine next to a garden-view window in my room! Breakfasts were delicious and the staff were attentive and helpful (Carolina was especially gracious.) Although the hotel bills itself as having 24-hour room service, the late-night menu is limited.

They're not bashful about their prices, but this is London. A few months ago, the website "Visit London" sent me an email with special offers for Red Carnation hotels, so I decided to give The Montague a try this year. I'm VERY glad I did! I definitely see myself returning to this hotel and would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank chitowncpa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
new south wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

trip advisor gave the montague a top rating and we were not disappointed, staying for 8 days in May.
our room was comfortable and well appointed although a little on the small size if there were more than 2 people in there.
the staff were always courteous and obliging of any request

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skippip
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Have stayed here 50+ times in the past 6 years; only reason not to write glowingly is so that less people book here.

Its great - small, boutiquish London hotel. Service and location are outstanding. It is around the corned from British Museum. Rooms, although often small, are extremely well-appointed and spotless. Bar and outside area (when open) is great.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank hcbboston
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

We booked our stay at the Montague based in no small measure on the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor. Such consistently good reviews make me a little wary but I can confirm that the hotel does deserve the excellent rating in all respects and we will certainly return on our next visit.

The location is great; Montague Street is quiet and while our room faced the rear of the hotel (garden view), street noise for the street-facing rooms should be minimal. The hotel is a 5-minute walk to the Underground and a 10-minute walk to the Euston rail station. We took advantage of the Big Bus Tour and an Evan Evans Tour, both of which we booked through the hotel, both of which pick up only several blocks away. Russell Square Garden is a block away and the café in the garden is a treat. The restaurant in the hotel is really under-rated. We had dinner there on our first night and afternoon tea towards the end of our stay and we could not have been more impressed by the food, the atmosphere and the service. It was a top-tier dining experience in every respect and deserves more recognition.

The hotel is a boutique. Each room is unique in layout and décor. They have all of the modern amenities and comforts while retaining a quaint and charming aesthetic. We were there during a heat wave and the AC worked perfectly. Internet access (both wired and wireless) worked perfectly. The complimentary bottled water in the room is a nice touch. As noted in prior reviews, many of the rooms are split-level. If stairs are an issue, be sure to specify a single-level room.

The real jewel of this hotel is the staff. Preceding reviews have detailed the great service from the front desk and concierge staff, both of which we can happily confirm and reiterate. Jorge, Sam, Alain and the entire staff were all simply fantastic. We took advantage of the hotel’s car service to and from Heathrow and agree that it is worth the money.

We got to know the GM, Dirk, fairly well during our stay. Upon our arrival we were informed that the master suite we had reserved was not available for the first two nights of our 5-night stay. We were travelling with our 13-year old son, so we had booked the larger suite as much out of necessity as anything else. Dirk handled the situation personally and he could not have been more professional. He understood our dilemma and really went the extra mile to accommodate us. He turned what could have been a bad situation into an extremely positive experience. Dirk sets the tempo for the high service levels that his staff carries out on a daily basis.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank businesstravelerdfw
Aalter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights (citytrip). Very well located (5 minutes walk to Russel Square underground, just one stop from Kings Cross-St Pancras International) through the nice Russel Square park. British Museum is located at the opposite side of the road. Cosy, charming, romantic hotel. Great staff. Good breakfast which you can have eighter in the restaurant or on the terrasse (very nice ! - watch photos).We booked for a standard room but got an upgrade (anniversary of my wife). (Of course no garanty everyone can receive an upgrade for pecial occasion). Room a little bit small but very nice and with all facilities provided.
We will surely come back

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
North West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

Arrived at midday, and the room was ready for us even though check in is at 2.00pm.
We stayed in a Bloomsbury deluxe king room which was on a split level. The room was spotless and the bed and sheets very luxurious. Bathroom small but very clean and stylish with a great rain shower.
The staff here care very friendly, efficient and extremely welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble.
We had a bottle of champagne on the deal we had, but it was not in the room on our return. Quick phone call to reception, lots of apologies and it was delivered very chilled in half an hour. It was good quality champers as well.
The location is beautiful. The room overlooked a large private garden and you are round the corner from Russell Square which is an oasis. You would not think you were in central London.
The breakfast was very good. The food was non greasy fresh and very tasty, even a good choice for us veggies.
This is a perfect hotel and I would stay here again next time I am in London.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmm7levels
NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

The Montague was recommended by a frequent London traveler. This is my new favorite London hotel. It is a lovely boutique hotel in a "civilized" neighborhood. The British Museum is around the corner, as are many great pubs and restaurants, yet it feels like being off the beaten path. All of the "little things" like American and European outlets in the rooms, the rain style showers, in-room free wireless Internet, and coffee and muffins for the morning taking make this a first class hotel. Additionally, the hospitality and staff are bar-none. My favorite part was Jorge at the concierge desk. The customer service is perhaps the best in the world!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business