“Top Quality and Service for London”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Arrived at midday, and the room was ready for us even though check in is at 2.00pm.
We stayed in a Bloomsbury deluxe king room which was on a split level. The room was spotless and the bed and sheets very luxurious. Bathroom small but very clean and stylish with a great rain shower.
The staff here care very friendly, efficient and extremely welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble.
We had a bottle of champagne on the deal we had, but it was not in the room on our return. Quick phone call to reception, lots of apologies and it was delivered very chilled in half an hour. It was good quality champers as well.
The location is beautiful. The room overlooked a large private garden and you are round the corner from Russell Square which is an oasis. You would not think you were in central London.
The breakfast was very good. The food was non greasy fresh and very tasty, even a good choice for us veggies.
This is a perfect hotel and I would stay here again next time I am in London.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmm7levels
There are newer reviews for The Montague on The Gardens

Reviewed June 30, 2009

The Montague was recommended by a frequent London traveler. This is my new favorite London hotel. It is a lovely boutique hotel in a "civilized" neighborhood. The British Museum is around the corner, as are many great pubs and restaurants, yet it feels like being off the beaten path. All of the "little things" like American and European outlets in the rooms, the rain style showers, in-room free wireless Internet, and coffee and muffins for the morning taking make this a first class hotel. Additionally, the hospitality and staff are bar-none. My favorite part was Jorge at the concierge desk. The customer service is perhaps the best in the world!

1  Thank heelsfan603
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I have stayed in a 5 star hotel during the antire year 1999. But what the Montague is offering is in no way closeto what this hotel had to offer.
I have been staying at the Montague every week from Sunday to Friday for the past 6 months. The location is within walking distance to the office and to the major attractions within the city of London. The staff have been proven very valuable when asking for dinning locations and for shopping tips. They can even organise theater tickets for you when you are unable to find any through other channels. The breakfast but even more so dinner is excellent and it is hard to find any better food in London for a comparable price. I am highly recommending this hotel for both business as well as leisure travelers.

1  Thank rysblei
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My wife, two daughters, and I just returned from a nine day stay at The Montague on the Gardens. We could not have asked for a better experience. The hotel is quite nicely appointed and the service was truly exceptional. Its central location makes exploring London on foot easily doable. We enjoyed our dinners at the Blue Door Bistro and would highly recommend eating on the back patio overlooking the garden - it is so peaceful, you would never know that you are in the middle of a vibrant city. The Concierge and his staff were very attentive and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, calling us by name every time they saw us. My children really enjoyed the chocolate strawberries that were delivered to our room every night.

The next time we travel to London, there is no doubt where we will be staying.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ClevelandOhioTim
Reviewed June 26, 2009

My husband and I had a two-week European vacation. We started the trip at a sister property the Chesterfield Mayfair in London and finished back in London at the Montague. I enjoyed our stay much more at the Montague. We had a great package that included a Bloomsbury King room (it had a pretty black and white theme, room 104), tickets to the London Eye (they gave us fast break tickets which saved us from a long wait) and daily breakfast (the breakfast was wonderful, and there was a large selection each morning). The staff was wonderful. They arranged a car to return us to the airport. For less than we paid for cab to bring us to the airport, we traveled in a roomy Mercedes van. I will recommend the Montague to all our friends traveling to London.

I loved the location. I like the liberty of being to eat whatever I want while on vacation, and to compensate for this we try to walk everywhere. We were only a 15 minute walk to Convent Garden and a 30 minute walk to the London Eye, Big Ben/Houses of Parliament & Westminster Abbey. The hotel was across the street from the British Museum, so it was very easy to explore in the morning then rest up before going through the Museum. Don’t miss the Rosetta stone & Elgin Marbles (both on the 1st floor).

While we were in London we had tea at the Ritz, which is a wonderful experience. It takes a little planning as the reservations need to be booked several weeks in advance.
We also took advantage of the Big Bus Company tour. I couldn’t go to London and not ride the double decker bus. It was nice to be able to get on and off at different places and learn about them. I especially enjoyed stopping at Harrods and having lunch in the food halls.

One other most do in London is to ride the Underground. We took it to the Tower of London. We were there when it opened, and this was a great way to beat the crowds. We went immediately to the crown jewels. We didn’t have to wait, and we were able to look around for as long as we liked.

My only complaint is that the rooms were a little small, though we found this to be the case with both hotels in London.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TulsaTraveler0807
Reviewed June 26, 2009

The Montague on the Gardens is the only place I stay when in London. A small hotel with a really personal feel, the rooms and surroundings are delightful and the staff could give masterclasses in customer service - they are superb. Nothing is too much trouble and they make a point of remembering people's name and personally greeting you. You feel like you are their most important customer. I am so convinced I encouraged colleagues to hold regular meeting at the hotel and they are all really impressed with their Montague experience. The fact that some of the staff have been there for 20 years speaks for itself.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Jan L
Reviewed June 23, 2009

simply one of the best hotles in the world. Great customer service form beginning to end. a true home from home

1  Thank oldplayer