“Just perfect”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Not clear to me why anyone would want to stay anywhere else. Our room was quite nice, very well appointed and very well maintainede a distance to get here. Quiet and comfortable with nice view of the garden area. The kind of place that quickly fells comfortable for those of us that came quite a distance to get here and wanted very much to be comfortable.

What is really special about the Montague, though, is the staff. They are second to none, expertly attending to every detail and every single one of them treated us like we were special family. From the dining room first thing in the morning to coming in after being out on the town, every encounter with every member of the staff was impressive. They are super attentive without being overbearing, knew are names right away, and always seemed to take care of us at the speed that matched what we wanted, whether we were in a hurry or just relaxing. I don't know how they do it but somehow they have assembled a world class staff of simply wonderful people.

I also should mention the restaurant and bar. Both are superb. The food is excellent, expertly prepared and presented. I can see why their restaurant gets such great reviews.

If you want great accommodations, in a great location and with a superb staff, this is the place to go. We will never go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go for the garden side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnMaryChantilly
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be nice.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and feel at home when staying with us. So it is delightful to know that you felt as though you were treated like family and that every encounter with them was impressive. Your kind feedback is a great motivator for the team and I will be pleased to share this with them and ensure that their hard work and service is duly recognised.

I am equally thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience our bar and restaurant. Thank you for your comment that the food was excellent: greatly prepared and presented. I will be sure to pass this onto the Food and Beverage and Kitchen teams.

Thank you for your kind recommendation to others and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

The Montague on the Gardens is a truly beautiful Hotel near the British Museum and within walkable distance to the West End.
Our suite was simple immaculate; wonderfully decorated, quiet and spacious, with lovely bathrooms.
The staff were brilliant and extremely helpful. The concierge was very helpful giving us suggestions on nearby restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BAJ89

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you found the Montague to be a truly beautiful hotel. I am pleased that your suite was immaculate, spacious, quiet, wonderfully decorated with a lovely bathroom.

Your comments about the team are most appreciated, it is wonderful to know that they were brilliant and extremely helpful, particularly the Concierge with their restaurant recommendations. Our staff take great interest in ensuring our guests have everything they may need so I am pleased that they assisted you during your time with us.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have just spent 3 excellent nights at the Montague on the Gardens. The staff were all very friendly, polite and it seemed that nothing was too much trouble. Breakfasts were very nice. As mentioned in other reviews the room we had was a little on the small size but it is a listed building and the room had everything we needed. I would much rather have a smaller room with character than a large 'corporate' standard room.
It was nice to have that personal touch.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank boboneill
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your comments are extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations making your stay with us an occasion to remember.

Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room. However, I am thrilled that you felt the room had character and that everything you needed was provided. All of our rooms are decorated differently and personally by our owner and she will be delighted to receive this lovely feedback.

I am pleased that the staff were very friendly and polite and that you found breakfast to be very nice. The team take great interest in our guests to ensure they have a comfortable stay and so it is lovely to know that you felt nothing was too much trouble for them. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The concierge was very helpful. We received a hint of arrogance from some of the staff, perhaps due to our informal American attire. The facility was immaculate and in good repair. The room we had was small, with a smaller bathroom. We only stayed one night; we were to return on two other dates but an emergency surgery prevented that), but that night it was very quiet.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frank2176

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your stay at the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that your planned stay with us were unfortunately cancelled due to emergency surgery, I do hope that all is well now.

I would also like to apologise if you felt the staff were arrogant due to your informal attire. I can assure you that our staff aim to make our guests feel comfortable and so I am sorry that you didn’t feel this was the case.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased to read that you experienced a quiet night and that you felt the hotel was immaculate. Your kind comment that the Concierge was very helpful is most appreciated and I will be sure to share this with the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I spend a night in the hotel with my boyfriend and what can I say simply was a wonderful place the room was amazing and spotless the stuff was really helpful and friendly especially Everett from the restaurant which we met the evening when we had a drink in the bar and had dinner in the restaurant and surprisingly he was there for breakfast the following morning always friendly, professional.
Really a great stay!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sielo91

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you and your boyfriend had a great stay with us and you felt that the Montague was a wonderful place. It is equally pleasing to know that you thought your room was amazing and spotless.

Your kind comments that the staff were helpful and friendly in particular Everett, are most appreciated. We are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We continuously endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Everett and the team and that their service is duly noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for a longer period in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Our family of 5 stayed at the Montague for 4 nights, and enjoyed every moment we spent there. All the staff, from reception to concierge to housekeeping to the restaurant staff paid special attention to the kids and were always very helpful and pleasant. The efforts of Andrew at reception, Lucia at the restaurant, Mark at concierge, Luke, Tomaz, and Jorge were especially appreciated. The children enjoyed making cupcakes with chef Danny. The hotel was full, but with all the individual attention we received, it was as if we were the only guests there.

The rooms are small by American standards, but they are nicely furnished. The location, adjacent to the British Museum, is excellent. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank alexman1968

Dear guest,

I was sorry to read that you felt your room was small however I am pleased that this did not detract too much form your stay and that you thought it was nicely furnished.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations. Our team take great interest in all of our guests including children to ensure that they have an equally memorable stay with us.

I am pleased that the team were always helpful and pleasant and that Andrew, Lucia, Mark, Luke, Tomasz, Jorge and Danny were particularly accommodating during your time at the Montague. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile and so I will be sure that the teams’ service is duly rewarded.

It is wonderful to know that you would definitely stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

My recent two-days stay in London (August 2014) was wonderful. The Montague on the Gardens felt like a home in London: a friendly doorman made the return to the hotel feel like coming home and the guests get the best possible start of the day due to the fabulous breakfast and, more importantly, the people who serve it. The reason a hotel felt like a home is the quality of the people: they convey the feeling that all (reasonable) requests will be granted. The only minor minus was the evacuation of the 'Great Neighbour': the British Museum thought it appropriate to ask a guest of the Montague on the Gardens to leave the premises. Admittedly, I did not arrange my visit through the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Johan P

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It is delightful to read that you enjoyed your time at the Montague and that you felt your stay was wonderful.

Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that our guests feel at home when staying with us and so I am thrilled that their efforts were noticed. I am especially pleased that the Doorman made you feel welcome when returning each day and that you found the breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro to be fabulous. Your lovely comments are most appreciated and I will be happy to share these with the team.

I was sorry to read about the incident at the British Museum but I am pleased that this did not detract anything from your stay at the Montague.

We look forward to welcoming you back.