“Wife's 60th birthday”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 11, 2014

On staying at the montague on the gardens this hotel is just fantastic the public areas are all very clean and tidy as is the bar and restaurant area.
The bedrooms are spacious and kept very clean.
All the staff at the montague are all very friendly and helpful and nothing is to much trouble in fact they will go out of there way to help in any way they can.
This was a very nice stay indeed

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gordon S
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide. I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, making your wife’s 60th birthday an occasion to remember.

I am delighted that you found the public areas including the bar, restaurant as well as the bedrooms to be clean and tidy.

Your kind comments that the staff were friendly, helpful and that nothing was too much trouble are also most appreciated. The team take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have a comfortable and memorable stay with us, so it is wonderful to read when their efforts have been noticed. I will be pleased to share this feedback with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,355)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

It's a great choice of London Hotel. Close to the British Museum and Russell Square makes it an ideal location. The Regency style in fittings and furnishings marks it as different, slightly quirky and oddly English. The emphasis on service is apparent at every turn. 'How many doormen does it take to greet you and hold the door open?' we would laughingly say as we came and went. But it is an old building and, as another reviewer remarked, the rooms are small. Ours held a large bed and little else. The window sills became our drawers and shelves. We had four large cases and came up with an ingenious method of storage. One rolled back and forth before the wardrobe, another rolled against the door after we entered, one went under the desk and the last one was in the bathroom. Getting to the room was a quaint excursion of passageways and stairs. Twice we mistakenly tried to walk into a towel closet.
But this hotel has character and fine decorations, great concierge service and very comfortable beds. There were a couple of cracks in the service. One day we found we had no towels, zero. And, if we had coffee or tea in our room, the supplies were never replaced for the next day. But these are minor details. The only real inconvenience and we put it down to the plumbing was the three-flush toilet, sometimes even a four-flush. We did not eat at the hotel, not even breakfast so cannot comment on the restaurant side of the business. We start our day with only a coffee and a bran muffin. In summary a lovely hotel, highly recommended. There is the odd glitch but nothing to get too excited about.

Room Tip: The rooms are small. Try not to turn up with ten weeks worth of travel luggage. You won't know w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

I was equally disappointed that the towels and tea/coffee facilities in your room were not replaced during your stay. I have shared your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper so that she can investigate this matter to ensure that this does not happen again. With regards to the plumbing I have spoken to the Chief Engineer so that this issue can also be resolved.

However, I am delighted that you found the hotel to have character, fine decoration and that the bed was very comfortable.

Your kind comment that the Concierge service was great is equally most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Thank you also for your kind recommendation, I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a short leisure break and found it to be outstanding. The room and bathroom very clean, comfortable and the pleasant. And most importantly, the windows can be opened for fresh air. The garden was a great way to enjoy afternoon cream tea, and the staff, hotel, bar and reception were friendly, helpful and service impeccable. And the porters were always ready to help with the best way to see, and where to go in London. Hotel centrally located, tube station within walking distance. Made the London experience far easier.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting London. And will be returning in the summer for a longer stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank PJooste
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had an outstanding stay with us at the Montague.

Your comments regarding our staff are most appreciated. We invest heavily in training the team to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. I am thrilled that they were friendly, helpful and that the Concierge could assist with recommendations. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy your afternoon tea on the Terrace.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the summer.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I just completed my second stay at this fabulous hotel, and I agree the service is impeccable. The rooms can be tight by American standards, but each is beautifully furnished and very comfortable, and I sleep like a baby every night. As a single female traveler, it is important to know I am safe and cared for during my stay. My first trip was two and a half years ago, and the staff remembered me ... the restaurant's hostess even remembered which is my favorite table. That's special.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank marybK2585KF

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your visit to the Montague.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your return visit and that we once again met your expectations. I am pleased that you were happy with your room; finding it to be beautifully furnished, comfortable and that you had a pleasant night’s sleep.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they are comfortable and have everything they may need when staying with us. We want to ensure that they feel at home and so I am pleased that the team welcomed you personally and remembered your favourite table.

I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a longer stay with us soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed at the Montague for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and had a wonderful experience.
The hotel was well placed for our needs; The Royal Opera House and The British Museum, both are within easy reach. The staff were polite, friendly and so attentive that we felt like we were royalty! They really couldn't have been more kind and helpful. We had a lovely surprise when we came back to our room after the opera, our bed was decorated with a heart and rose petals, floating candles and more rose petals in the bath, lovely handmade biscuits and sweets, a little present each and an anniversary card signed by all the staff! Thank you, Montague staff, for making our stay so special.
We would have no hesitation in returning - perhaps for our 60th anniversary!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SueAL2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am delighted that we have met your expectations, making your 30th wedding anniversary a truly wonderful occasion.

Our staff take pride in all they do and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. The team work hard to make sure that our guests have a comfortable and special stay with us and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were polite, friendly, attentive and helpful. I shall ensure that all of your positive comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon, especially for your 60th anniversary.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Had a really nice time. Went with my girlfriend and we both thought it was really good. The bar staff are brilliant - really know about their drinks/cocktails. Lovely ambience in the bar in general. Definitely worth visiting for a few drinks.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randolphoking

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you and your girlfriend had a really nice time in our Terrace Bar, finding the ambience to be lovely.

You kind comments that the staff were brilliant and knowledgeable about the drinks and cocktails we serve are most appreciated. They work hard to ensure that every guest is happy during their visit and so I will be pleased to share this positive feedback with them.

Thank you also for your kind recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague and Terrace Bar in the near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My friend and I stayed three nights at the Montague. This hotel gathers all my ideals: terrace with luxuriant views on a beautiful garden, easy access to museums, shops, restaurants and cafes, and an extraordinary staff, discrete and thoughtful. A warm and authentic atmosphere.

We had a wonderful time and highly recommend this hotel for a unique experience in London.

Room Tip: I stayed in a junior suite, which was all comfy and cosy
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nathaly K

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

I am delighted that you and your friend had a wonderful time with us and found the atmosphere to be warm and authentic.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were extraordinary, discreet and thoughtful. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I am especially pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Terrace with a view of the private Bedford gardens.

Your positive recommendation is most appreciated and I hope that you return to the Montague again in the future.