“A very special hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“A very special hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a lovely boutique hotel in a really good location in London. I recently stayed there with my husband who was on a business trip so I spent quite a bit of time on my own. I could say a hundred things about the beautiful interior, so intimate and cosy and very luxurious but what really made my stay special was the wonderful staff. Noticing that I was on my own a fair bit they seemed to go out of their way to look after me from the doorman to the housekeeping girls!
Afternoon tea at the Montague was amazing, you have to try it to believe it. My special thanks to Declan for making it snow especially for me in the ski bar and to Chief for his cocktails and Charlotte who inspired me to visit the wonderful British Museum which is right on the doorstep. This is now my favourite hotel in London and I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Take pot luck here all the rooms are different
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Celia M
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt the decor of the hotel was amazing.

I would like to thank you also for the kind comments about our staff. They take genuine interest in our guests whether they are staying for business or leisure and they aim to make their stay one that is comfortable. I am extremely happy that you felt looked after by them when your husband was out on business.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience the Ski Lodge and that Declan and Chief made your visit memorable. I am also pleased that Charlotte assisted you with the British Museum recommendation. I will be sure to share this kind feedback with the staff and ensure that their service is duly recognised.

I am extremely pleased to read that we are now your favourite hotel in London and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Tamworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

There's not much more I can say about this place other than it lovely, staff are attentive without being over powering. Rooms are small, but they are perfectly adequate and the beds are comfy.

We had afternoon tea, which if I returned, I'd definately do again.

A great hotel and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the gardens, very quite and peaceful
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andyhofer
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be lovely. I am equally thrilled that you had the opportunity to have afternoon tea with us and that you would definitely return to experience it again.

Your kind comment that the staff were attentive is most appreciated and I will be sure to share all of your lovely feedback with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

A beautiful and very unique hotel, my compliments to the team for the event they managed on our behalf, the level of customer service from all of their team was outstanding without exception. On arrival the door was opened for me by a gentleman who took my bag from me and showed me to our function room, from that moment on each member of their team I encountered was so helpful and they all had a smile on their face – sadly this is not common these days, which makes their service level stand out even more. During our meal I was particularly impressed with the team serving dinner as they addressed each guest by name and even shared a joke or two, they were brilliant. I didn’t pass by a single member of staff without them acknowledging my presence with a friendly smile, a hello or an enquiry as to whether they could be of assistance – I am very impressed. Stunning decor, amazing rooftop bar - highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ellie N
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you had a pleasant experience at the Montague and found it to be a beautiful and unique hotel.

Your comments regarding the staff are most appreciated. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. I am delighted that the staff assisted you with your bag and showed you to the room on arrival. We take genuine interest in our guests to make them feel comfortable and so I am pleased that they addressed you by name and made conversation. When these efforts are recognised it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

It pleases me to read that you had the opportunity to experience the Ski Lodge and thought it was amazing.

Thank you for your kind recommendation. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

What a wonderful boutique hotel! We were fortunate to enjoy a 4 day stay at the Montague in December. It looked beautful with all the Christmas decorations. Our room was quite cozy but we were aware of this before our stay. Our daughter decided to join us on our trip so we upgraded our room to include her, but it still was very cozy. She slept on a daybed, which was on a landing up a step from the main sleeping area. Luckily it was our first stop on a 2 week trip so our luggage was still quite organized and we didn't really need to spread out. We all agreed in spite of the tight quarters the Montague was our favorite hotel. The English breakfast in the morning with eggs to order, fresh squeezed juice and the most fantastic bacon was a delightful way to start the day. Tea, of course, was available, but what a surprise that cappuccino was also an option. My husband and daughter are both gluten free, so it was great to discover that gluten free bread was available at breakfast. Plus the staff was knowledgeable enough to know that they needed a fresh dish of butter to avoid cross contamination. For anyone following a gluten free diet they will understand what a big deal it is to not have to explain your dietary restrictions and to anticipate your needs. We also had afternoon tea and again were so delighted with the options. Not just one gluten free scone but a variety. Wow! We did not dine in the dining room, but we did enjoy the cozy lounge each evening after a hectic day of sightseeing. What a wonderful retreat!
Our daughter was on a separate flight and arrived hours before we did. I would like to thank the staff for letting her check in early. She was able to drop her bags in the room and tour the area. She felt so comfortable in the hotel that she had a light supper in the lounge. When we arrived she was settled in the room and sound asleep. Thanks so much for the very personal service. We had such a wonderful visit at the Montague. We hope to return with the whole family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank livetotravel09
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you felt your room was ‘cozy’. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

However, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us over the festive season and you thought the hotel looked beautiful with its Christmas decorations.

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed the breakfast in the Blue Door Bistro, especially the eggs made to order and the selection of coffee offered.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that they have a memorable stay and have everything they may need. We understand that dietary requirements are very important and so we do all that we can to assist our guests, especially by providing a wide selection of dishes for them to enjoy. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and I am pleased that the Reception team were able to assist your daughter on arrival, allowing her to check in early. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

High Wycombe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I regularly drop in here for drinks or lunch and even held my celebration party here after I was awarded the Freedom Of The City of London. It's so nice to be greeted by the doorman with a cheery 'good afternoon sir' as he holds the front door open for me. The terrace bar at the rear is an oasis of calm, serves great cocktails and a good lunch that isn't too expensive. The staff take your drink order at the table, the food is great, the service simply superb and everyone is very friendly. This place is a true slice of heaven in London. Long may it continue.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndrewPSmith

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

Congratulations on your Freedom of the City Award, we are honoured that you chose to celebrate this celebration occasion at the Montague.

Your kind words that the Terrace Bar is an oasis of calm with great cocktails and food are most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were cheerful, friendly and provided superb service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I had the unruly task of organising our Christmas Party this year, being very fond of the Montague and all its staff it was of course one of my first point of calls. After I was faced with various options I’m so happy I went with this hotel! The night was amazing, the staff covered everything so I could sit back and enjoy the party, the help and support from the sales and events team on the run up to the event was always helpful and suggestive. All of my staff members thoroughly enjoyed themselves, with comments that it has been the best work party they have been to in years! Would defiantly recommend, food brilliant, hospitality brilliant an overall excellent experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I was delighted that you were impressed with the party you had organised for your work Christmas event and you had an excellent experience.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care from start to finish and it is motivating to read that your colleagues felt it was the best work party they had been to in years. I am pleased that you felt the staff were helpful and suggestive from start to finish; allowing you to enjoy the party yourself. It is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed and I will be thrilled to share your wonderful feedback with the team.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a nice hotel with a "boutique" ambiance. The staff are very attentive and helpful. It is located directly across the street from the British Museum and is very convenient to the underground subway system. The food in the restaurant is excellent.

Warning to US travelers - the hotel will seem older and smaller than what you are used to in the States. The rooms are quite snug, with very little free space - it was fine for me traveling alone, but I cannot imagine what it would be like with a second person. That being said, the hotel was maintained in excellent condition.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank poohmacat2

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay at the Montague and found the staff to be attentive and helpful. I have also noted your positive words about our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro. Your lovely comments provide great motivation for the team.

Thank you for the feedback regarding our rooms. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would like to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room. We like to ensure our guests are comfortable and we do all that we can to ensure that this is achieved.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.