The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Nice building in fine surroundings. Cosy atmosphere with very dedicated personnel. Great breakfast with bacon of globe top class standards! Nice bar and a veranda overlooking a green garden. Small rooms, but comfortable beds offering wonderful sleep. Caring for details, good value for Money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RS0000
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit to the Montague.

It pleases me to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the beds to be comfortable and that they provided a wonderful night’s sleep.

I was delighted that you enjoyed breakfast with us and had the opportunity to experience the Bar and Terrace overlooking the Duke of Bedford’s private garden.

Your kind comments that the atmosphere was cosy and that the staff were dedicated are most appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,327)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

As to be expected for an older hotel the rooms were certainly a bit cramped for space and storage; however, this was more than offset by the exceptional service and very convenient location. The hotel is right next to the British Museum and is close to the tube, Covent Garden and the theatre district. While you can enjoy the hustle and bustle of Covent Garden after a short walk, the Montague itself is located on a very quiet street in Bloomsbury. The most noteworthy feature of the hotel is the friendliness and service from the staff. I don't know where they get these people, but someone is certainly doing a marvelous job in hiring and training the staff. We travel a bit and they were among the best we've ever seen. Makes us want to stay at another Red Carnation hotel. Also, we need to mention the dining and bar. We spent six days in London and were usually worn out after each day of sightseeing so we took most of our meals at the hotel. Again, great, friendly service and good food, Near the end of our stay we were beginning to feel like family ... or at least like old friends with most of the hotel staff! Will certainly stay there again if we make it back to London.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

The Montague is indeed an older Georgian townhouse property; however we do have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. When making your reservation for your next visit please mention that you would prefer a larger room and we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that a guest’s stay with us is one that is memorable and comfortable. I am delighted that they have met your expectations. I am extremely pleased that you felt they were amongst the best you had ever seen in your extensive travels. I will be sure to pass this wonderful feedback on.

I was equally thrilled that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we hope to welcome you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Great place to stay, really made by the friendly and incredably helpful staff. also excellent location for a short stay in london. The room was small, and perhaps not as "light and airy" as it could have been, but we did book the cheapest option.

Room Tip: don't be mean ... splash out for the larger room. its worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent visit.

I was sorry to hear that the size of the room allocated to you to be small and not very “light and airy”. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I was delighted that you found them be friendly and helpful. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is the best combination of luxury with a boutique feeling in a quiet but convenient location. Outstanding service and charm from the first greeting at arrival to the last farewell. Breakfast is a highlight as well as the light menu in the lounge and the high tea in the conservatory. Rooms are cosy and very well appointed. For me the location really is the icing on the cake, I could easily walk to all the action I wanted for shopping, theatres, a great choice of restaurants and of course the British museum across the street, but my room facing the street was always quiet and the hotel feels like a refuge in the storm that is the normal London bustle. I love coming out of my room to the public spaces, something I rarely do in other hotels. I admit I hesitated when I saw the room price, but it is worth every penny. A memorable experience.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sola123

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit.

I was thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Montague and found your room to be cosy and well appointed. It pleases me to read that you liked spending time in the public areas and that your time with us was a memorable experience.

I was delighted that you found breakfast to be a highlight and that you had the opportunity to have high tea with us.

Your kind words that the service and charm were outstanding from beginning to end are most appreciated. We like to ensure that our guests feel at home throughout their whole stay.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed with my boyfriend for one night and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel very special. The staff were wonderful, friendly and incredibly helpful, and nothing was too much. From the room upgrade, to the canapés and home made cakes left in the room, the stay really was more than we could have hoped for.

I am afraid I cannot remember names, but the receptionist and concierge on check in were fantastic and the waiter at dinner was informative, attentive and always smiling. The staff at breakfast were also wonderful and the food was incredible... Our evening meal was superb and when we came down for breakfast, I wish I had a bigger stomach as the food was so good I didn't want to stop eating, the selection was extensive.

The hotel itself was comfortable and well looked after and the room was lovely.

We were there to celebrate our joint birthdays and it really did turn out to be the perfect weekend.

Thank you to all who made it so memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

Here at the Montague our staff like to ensure that our guests have the most memorable stay. I am so delighted that we have met your expectations and made your time here with your boyfriend to celebrate your birthdays an occasion to remember.

Your kind words that the staff were wonderful, friendly and incredibly helpful are most appreciated. They really do take great interest in our guests and so I am delighted that their efforts were noticed. I will be sure to pass this wonderful feedback to the team.

I was thrilled that you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro and found them to be superb.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We attended a wedding in this charming hotel. The whole affair was beautifully managed and I was particularly impressed with the staff. They were polite, helpful and excellent at what they did.

The location is perfect and we took full advantage of the very efficient and helpful valet parking service.

Room Tip: We did not stay so could not answer all the questions.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review about your recent stay with us for a friend’s wedding.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always wonderful to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that you found them to be polite, helpful and that the Concierge were able to assist with valet parking. We like to guarantee that our guests have the perfect wedding day by ensuring that everything is in place and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team so that their service is duly noted.

I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague in the future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed here for many years and appreciate it as it was very much in the centre of London. I have been here with my family for many years especially for Christmas and New Year. Nowadays I use it for business staying as it is perfect located. In the nice summer days it’s perfect to start your morning outside having breakfast. The service is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Per-Anders F

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that as a returning guest you have had the opportunity to experience the Montague for both business and leisure. We like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and have everything they may need during their time with us.

It pleases me to read that you enjoy breakfast on the Terrace during the summer and that you found the service to be excellent. I will pass this lovely comment on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.