“Special Stay in London”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Enjoyed another great visit to the Montague on The Gardens and loved staying in room 310. This charming but small single felt like a 'princess room.' Beautifully appointed, it contained everything needed for a memorable stay. The staff at the Montague was outstanding and everyone went out of their way to make each day there enjoyable. For breakfast on a nice day, eat in the covered garden or "sun" rooms. If there is anything you need, just ask at the concierge desk. The hotel is also a great location for walking to many attractions in London, the Tube, access to King's Cross/St. Pancras Train Stations, British Museum and more.

Room Tip: Windows are double paned so even on the street side you're not likely to hear anything. Room 31...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your return visit to the Montague. I am equally pleased that you were happy with your room describing it as a “Princess room” and the amenities provided to give you a memorable stay.

Our staff do all they can to ensure that your time with us is perfect and enjoyable and so I am thrilled that their efforts were noticed. I will pass your kind words on to the team.

I was also happy that you had the opportunity to dine in our outside areas in the lovely weather we have been experiencing.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,389)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

London is not a cheap place to stay and one does not expect large rooms (just like Hong Kong or Paris). But service is what sets a place apart and this hotel overwhelmed us with just super attention in that department - not something Londoners do well and I'm speaking as a Londoner born and bred. We had come from stays in Paris and an English country house hotel, and this just blew us away with how much help and assistance was available at every turn. For a relatively small hotel, to have three staff on the concierge desk much of the day made a huge difference.

Our bed was most comfortable - the best on our trip. The bathroom was excellent given the available space. We did not try the food, so cannot comment there (the only reason we don't give it 5) but the bar service in the lounge was excellent.

I used to live many years ago in Bloomsbury and can say without doubt that the location next to the British Museum and in walking distance of Covent Garden, Soho and the West End cannot be beaten. Excellent transport links.

Will stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Try to overlook the square at the back of the hotel.
1  Thank opacjkt
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am delighted that the attention to detail that the staff provided was noticed as we constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I am thrilled that you felt your bed was the most comfortable one you had experienced on your trip and you found the bathroom to be excellent.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague and that you have the opportunity to dine in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We attended a wedding at the Montague on the Gardens, the day was fantastic well organised, the staff were ALL so friendly and helpful from the minute we stepped out of the taxi to the minute we checked out.

We had a pre-wedding meal on the Friday night - the food and service was second to none.....you couldn't fault it. The wedding day was so well organised, the dedicated staff were remarkable. It was amazing day.

The hotel is so spotless and the attention to detail stood out. Every evening when we returned to our room there was always a little something left on the pillow.

The whole of the stay from Friday - Monday was made very special by all of the staff.

Thank you to all at the Montague on the Gardens.

1  Thank lynn r

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel whilst celebrating a friend’s wedding celebrations. We like to ensure that everything is perfect and that the special day goes without a hitch. Your kind comments that the staff were friendly, dedicated and the day was well organised are most appreciated and I will be sure to share this lovely feedback with the team.

I am equally delighted that you felt the food and service of the pre-wedding dinner was ‘second to none’. It pleases me to hear that your stay was very special.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Unbelievable hotel!! My boyfriend and I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. We recently went for a family wedding and the stay was fantastic from beginning to end. The staff work so hard and really go out of their way to ensure your stay is the best it can be. The rooms are beautifully done and well maintained. The hotel is in a ideal location for seeing London. I could not fault this hotel in any way and would recommend it to anybody who is thinking of visiting London.
We can not thank the Montague enough for the amazing weekend we have just had :-)

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations, and made your visit for a family wedding an occasion to remember.

I am pleased that you felt the rooms were beautiful and well-maintained.

We are extremely proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service to make their stay the best it can be and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind words and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I made a reservation a month or so before arrival, I specifically suggestive 2 rooms next to each other, we arrived and the room is not next to each other, there's a room plus another door in between our rooms. Unfortunately my husband and I were not happy we asked the manager if they can move us or at least get the rooms closer to each other. They were able to accommodate our request the until the next day. We ended up staying on the Duchess room, nice and very roomy it has two levels.
And every evening during our stay, whenever we are back in our room, there's always fresh snacks and cookies waiting for us and bottle of water.
The bell hops and concierge are wonderful, they helped us on our reservations to Paris and Scotland, although theres some mixed up on the Paris trip, they only booked 2 adults train tickets and our kids did not have tickets. I did not check until that morning when we are about to hop on the train, unfortunately, we did not go to Paris that day, we ended up changing our plans. We had to cancel our Scotland trip and re schedule the Paris trip, which it worked out just great. The concierge are great, they even helped us packed our breakfast when we left early for Paris. Because some of the mistakes, the hotel manager invited my family and I for a nice dinner one eve ing. Overall it was a great stay. Thank you to all the bell hops and concierge for all your help during our stay. We can't wait to visit London again in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room if you can because the standard rooms are ver small, get a suites, you will be mor...

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to the hotel.

I was extremely sorry to read that there were some issues with the rooms allocated to you when you arrived at the hotel, however I am pleased that my team assisted you and were able to arrange a more comfortable room for the duration of your stay.

I was equally sorry that there was a mix up with your train reservations that resulted in you having to re-arrange your plans. However, I was pleased that you were able to re-schedule and that it all worked out.

Nonetheless, I was delighted that you felt the Concierge were great and that they arranged for you to have a takeaway breakfast for your trip to Paris. I will be sure to pass your thanks and kind words to the team.

I hope that you enjoyed your dinner in the Blue Door Bistro as we were extremely sorry for the issues you had experienced.

I am thrilled that overall your stay with us was great and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

At least it felt like home sweet home. This hotel is great in so many ways.

We could have stayed at a hotel chain more well known, but we took a chance and benefited from it.

The location is perfect! A block from the British Museum gave us a close destination to visit when we were too tired to venture out further. The museum is fantastic and serves great afternoon tea. The hotel is also a couple blocks from the Russell Square Underground stop (Piccadilly Line), which we used all the time. About three blocks up from that is Leigh Street that had some great restaurants (Indian and Chinese, specifically). A few couple more blocks up is St Pancras station where you can catch national trains as well as the Eurostar (to Paris or Brussels).

The staff are all incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The concierge really helped out knowing the schedule of the Buckingham Palace changing of the guards. The front desk helped out with directions, suggestions and the changing of money. The valet was great about car service and taxis.

The hotel has free wi-fi, which worked great and helped out a lot. There is also a business center computer and printer available - great to pre-board flights and print boarding tickets.

The rooms are well-appointed with everything you would want/need. Like any rooms abroad, they are a bit on the small side/tight, but provided you unpack and put everything away neatly, you shouldn't have any problem. The beds were comfy and we slept well.

We opted to include the morning breakfast with our room, which was a smart thing to do. Not only did it start us off each day with energy, it was more economical. The offering is complete with eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee/tea, juices, toast and more. Again, service was professional and friendly.

We had a great trip, overall, and know that we will return soon. If there is a room available at The Montague, you can be sure that we will reserve it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Will4U

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review following your visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you had a lovely time at the Montague and that you felt the beds were comfortable and you experienced a good night’s sleep.

Our staff aim to make our guests feel at home when they are staying with us, ensuring that they have everything they may need and so I am delighted that this was achieved. It pleases me to read that you were able to enjoy the free Wi-Fi we offer and the use of the business centre.

I am thrilled that the Concierge and Reception team were so helpful with directions and information. I am equally happy that you enjoyed breakfast and felt there were plenty of options. Your kind words that the service was professional and friendly are most appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We attended a wedding at the Montague and had a most enjoyable day at this beautiful hotel.
Our weekend was perfect from the minute we walked through the front door, you are made to feel right at home by the most friendly and professional staff they were all so polite and helpfull. They certainly know how to make an impression. The food was fantastic and the hotel was beautiful with lots of different funstion rooms available to use. I Highly recommend this hotel for whatever the occasion. This was our 1st visit to London and we will definately be back. Thanks to all at the Montague!

Room Tip: whatever room you choose you will not be disapointed there all beautifully decorated

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit to the Montague for your friend’s wedding.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests are happy from the very beginning of their time with us. I am pleased that they made you feel comfortable and at home during your stay. Your kind words that they were polite and helpful are most appreciated.

I was delighted that you found the food to be fantastic and the hotel to be beautiful.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to London and the hotel soon.