“Home Sweet Home”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 30, 2013

At least it felt like home sweet home. This hotel is great in so many ways.

We could have stayed at a hotel chain more well known, but we took a chance and benefited from it.

The location is perfect! A block from the British Museum gave us a close destination to visit when we were too tired to venture out further. The museum is fantastic and serves great afternoon tea. The hotel is also a couple blocks from the Russell Square Underground stop (Piccadilly Line), which we used all the time. About three blocks up from that is Leigh Street that had some great restaurants (Indian and Chinese, specifically). A few couple more blocks up is St Pancras station where you can catch national trains as well as the Eurostar (to Paris or Brussels).

The staff are all incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The concierge really helped out knowing the schedule of the Buckingham Palace changing of the guards. The front desk helped out with directions, suggestions and the changing of money. The valet was great about car service and taxis.

The hotel has free wi-fi, which worked great and helped out a lot. There is also a business center computer and printer available - great to pre-board flights and print boarding tickets.

The rooms are well-appointed with everything you would want/need. Like any rooms abroad, they are a bit on the small side/tight, but provided you unpack and put everything away neatly, you shouldn't have any problem. The beds were comfy and we slept well.

We opted to include the morning breakfast with our room, which was a smart thing to do. Not only did it start us off each day with energy, it was more economical. The offering is complete with eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee/tea, juices, toast and more. Again, service was professional and friendly.

We had a great trip, overall, and know that we will return soon. If there is a room available at The Montague, you can be sure that we will reserve it.

1  Thank Will4U
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review following your visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you had a lovely time at the Montague and that you felt the beds were comfortable and you experienced a good night’s sleep.

Our staff aim to make our guests feel at home when they are staying with us, ensuring that they have everything they may need and so I am delighted that this was achieved. It pleases me to read that you were able to enjoy the free Wi-Fi we offer and the use of the business centre.

I am thrilled that the Concierge and Reception team were so helpful with directions and information. I am equally happy that you enjoyed breakfast and felt there were plenty of options. Your kind words that the service was professional and friendly are most appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,389)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We attended a wedding at the Montague and had a most enjoyable day at this beautiful hotel.
Our weekend was perfect from the minute we walked through the front door, you are made to feel right at home by the most friendly and professional staff they were all so polite and helpfull. They certainly know how to make an impression. The food was fantastic and the hotel was beautiful with lots of different funstion rooms available to use. I Highly recommend this hotel for whatever the occasion. This was our 1st visit to London and we will definately be back. Thanks to all at the Montague!

Room Tip: whatever room you choose you will not be disapointed there all beautifully decorated
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit to the Montague for your friend’s wedding.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests are happy from the very beginning of their time with us. I am pleased that they made you feel comfortable and at home during your stay. Your kind words that they were polite and helpful are most appreciated.

I was delighted that you found the food to be fantastic and the hotel to be beautiful.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to London and the hotel soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I attended a wedding on Saturday at the hotel and was very impressed with the attention to detail of the food and service from all the staff on duty ,at one point we had photos taken in the garden and had just finished when it started to rain and within seconds the staff came out with armfuls of umbrellas Nothing was to much trouble. If I ever need to organise a party in an hotel I know just the place. A lot of the wedding guests stayed at the hotel and all their comments were how much they had enjoyed the rooms and service. As I live in London I could go home after the event ,but maybe I should have stayed and enjoyed the whole experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you were impressed with the attention to detail of the food and service. Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that our guests are enjoying their time at the Montague and that they have everything they need during their visit. I am especially pleased that they were able to assist during the wedding when the weather took a turn for the worst.

Thank you for sharing the feedback from your friends who stayed in house with us, this is most appreciated.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was have been the 4th time we have stayed at the Montague and as always the staff can not do enough for you, even with a wedding going on they had time for you.

we had a lovely room clean and very tidy and a box of complimentary biscuits sent up to our room.

we had a meal in the hotel..very good and not to expensive then went to the bar to listen to the woman on the piano..

we will be going back again very soon for our 5th stay.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your comments are extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide. I am absolutely delighted that we have once again met your expectations. I am equally pleased that you found your room to be lovely and clean.

I am thrilled that the staff were able to assist you during your time with us and that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Have just reteurned from a fantastic weekend attending a wedding at The Montague. The hotel is beautiful and in a great location for sightseeing or just enjoying everything that London has to offer. The rooms are immaculate and the organisation surrounding the wedding itself was first class. One of the highlights though has to be the staff, they were so friendly and approachable, that is was just like visiting with family rarther than staying at a hotel! We would recommend the hotel to anybody who was thinking of spending some time in London and wanted to treat themselves.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made your stay to celebrate your friend’s wedding an occasion to remember.

I am delighted that you felt the rooms were immaculate and the organisation of the special day was first class.

We are extremely proud of our staff and your wonderful comments that they were so friendly and approachable are most appreciated. I will ensure that these are passed on to the team.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Was here for my wife's PhD submission today. A great hotel and their cocktail bar is delightful. Real attention to detail. The staff are kind and very helpful. Of you're in town for any UCL related activities, stay here. It's beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the hotel.

Congratulations to your wife on her recent graduation from UCL. I am absolutely thrilled that you chose to celebrate this special occasion at the Montague.

Your kind words that the staff were kind and helpful are most appreciated and I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to spend time in the Terrace bar.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent a great weekend attending a wedding reception at this hotel.the attention to detail and the uncompromising standards were second to none. Rooms were superb , staff were very attentive and friendly .would recommend to anyone coming from abroad to London or even staying for the weekend to see a show.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time at the Montague to celebrate your friends wedding reception. Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that every guests’ stay is first class and most comfortable. It pleases me to read that you felt that the rooms were superb and that the staff were attentive and friendly. I will ensure that your kind feedback is passed on to the team.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.