The Montague on The Gardens
Orbitz.com
$288
$279
4,483 results
All reviewsbritish museumblue door bistroafternoon tealeopard barrussell squarered carnationcharming hotelquiet streetbirthday cardcovent gardenthe general managerconcierge staffturn down servicelittle toucheswest endjunior suiterooms are small
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just got back from a night at the Montague and had a really lovely stay. We were arrived to check-in a little after two, however our room wasn't ready, our luggage was taken for us, and we sat down for complimentary tea and biscuits with the hotels apologies. (I really like the biscuits!)

From start to finish, the staff were genuinely friendly and charming, the service was top notch!

Our room (Classic King) was beautifully decorated. It looked out over a lovely private garden at the back of the building, so was very peaceful. The bed was big and comfortable. The cuba-douche shower was lovely, it had lovely touches like a light in the shower head, and a blue light over the toilet so you didn't need to put the main light on at night. Room felt a little small, but that was only when I was working on the desk and my partner struggled to get by.

As we settled into our room, after returning from dinner on Oxford Street to find with the evening turndown we had some treats and a lovely message and card for my graduation - It's these 'little' touches that put it above other similar hotels I have stayed in. The service was faultless throughout. Breakfast was amongst the best we've had, especially included in the price- the option of streaky bacon was top notch - and so was the selection of items and juices to choose from.

The only gripe I had throughout the stay, albeit a rather bizarre one, was that the majority of the pictures and mirror were wonky and on a tilt! Not really negative, just very bizarre!

We walked from London Euston which took about 10 minutes down a straight road (nice and easy!) A bus will also take you there, or two tubes (but that's pointless for such a short distance.) Russell Square tube is a 5 min walk across a lovely garden. Be prepared to go down tons of stairs (literally never ending) or wait for the lift if it's busy. Quick and easy links into the rest of London.

We will definitely return to this hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent stay at the Montague.

Please accept my apologies for your room not being ready on arrival; however I am pleased that my staff were able to make you feel comfortable in the lounge whilst we worked on this issue.

Although you felt it was small, I was delighted that you liked your appointed room and found the bed to be big and comfortable. I was equally happy that you liked the shower and found the lighting to be useful during the night.

I was delighted to read that you felt the breakfast in our restaurant; the Blue Door Bistro was one of the best you had ever had. I will pass this kind feedback to our Kitchen team.

Your kind comments that the service was ‘top notch’ and that the staff were genuinely friendly and charming are most appreciated. This feedback provides great motivation for the team.

Thank you for bringing the wonky frames and mirrors to my attention, I will ask my housekeeping team to ensure this is rectified.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Well, you can call me a star spotter but I hit gold at the MontagueI No less than Hattie Jacques biographer's assitant! after a few glasses of wine and a few stories I could hardly stay on my seat!!! Chatham House rules though- mums the word!! Service was fantastic and the room reminded me of just what london has to offer

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback following your recent visit.

I was delighted that enjoyed your stay with us and thought the service was fantastic. I was equally thrilled that you liked your room.

It pleases me to read that you had a memorable stay and was able to enjoy the company of another guest.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Excellent location, I could see the British Museum from my window. Room small but luxurious - bed linens make you think you're sleeping on clouds. No noise from street. Lovely public rooms. Best of all is service: caring, attentive, personal. For someone travelling solo you feel like you are known. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room on the level you selected -- worth a try.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

It pleases me to read that you found your room to be luxurious and the bed comfortable. I’m delighted that you felt like you were ‘sleeping on clouds’.

Our staff constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We like to ensure that guests feel comfortable whether they are travelling in a group or on their own. I am thrilled that they were caring, attentive and personal.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we hope to welcome you back to the Montague in the near future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Cozy hotel close to the British museum and Russel Square park and tube station. There is a very nice bar and conservatory overlooking a lovely courtyard garden. Tiny room (by choice), very nice. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy W

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you found the Montague to be cosy and that you enjoyed the Terrace Bar and Conservatory during your stay. I was equally delighted that you thought your room was very nice. Your kind feedback is most appreciated.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is the epitome of a small upper-class English hotel. The common areas are well-appointed and comfy. The rooms are smallish, but have everything you need. But the best part is the wonderful service. It seems like everyone on staff knows your name. The concierges (Jorge, Mark, and Sandor worked with us) were tremendously helpful and knowledgeable. The location is great - near the Underground, the theatre district, and across the street from the British Museum. The high tea is exceptional (and the conservatory and gardens add just the right touch), and the other food we had was also very good. The breakfast buffet is fully stocked, and they also do made-to-order entrees. Bottom line: you just can not do better when in London.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WRhodes

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your stay with us.

Your kind words that the Montague is the ‘epitome of a small upper class English hotel’ and that the public areas were comfortable are most appreciated.

We like to ensure that our guests have everything they may need so I was pleased that you found our Concierge team to be helpful and knowledgeable.

I was delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy Afternoon Tea and that you found it to be exceptional. I was equally thrilled that you thought the breakfast buffet in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro was also very good.

I hope to welcome you back to the Montague again in the near future.