“Cozy and convenient hotel in Bloomsbury”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Sarasota, Florida
“Cozy and convenient hotel in Bloomsbury”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Cozy hotel close to the British museum and Russel Square park and tube station. There is a very nice bar and conservatory overlooking a lovely courtyard garden. Tiny room (by choice), very nice. Would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy W
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you found the Montague to be cosy and that you enjoyed the Terrace Bar and Conservatory during your stay. I was equally delighted that you thought your room was very nice. Your kind feedback is most appreciated.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is the epitome of a small upper-class English hotel. The common areas are well-appointed and comfy. The rooms are smallish, but have everything you need. But the best part is the wonderful service. It seems like everyone on staff knows your name. The concierges (Jorge, Mark, and Sandor worked with us) were tremendously helpful and knowledgeable. The location is great - near the Underground, the theatre district, and across the street from the British Museum. The high tea is exceptional (and the conservatory and gardens add just the right touch), and the other food we had was also very good. The breakfast buffet is fully stocked, and they also do made-to-order entrees. Bottom line: you just can not do better when in London.

2 Thank WRhodes
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your stay with us.

Your kind words that the Montague is the ‘epitome of a small upper class English hotel’ and that the public areas were comfortable are most appreciated.

We like to ensure that our guests have everything they may need so I was pleased that you found our Concierge team to be helpful and knowledgeable.

I was delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy Afternoon Tea and that you found it to be exceptional. I was equally thrilled that you thought the breakfast buffet in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro was also very good.

I hope to welcome you back to the Montague again in the near future.

Bethesda, MD
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I recently stayed at the Montague for 7 days of sightseeing in London. We were greeted by the friendliest and most helpful staff I have ever encountered. Our room was a junior suite, which meant that my teenage daughter had her own space, which she appreciated. The room was stocked with 2 fruit and biscuit baskets, which we enjoyed throughout our stay. The concierge staff helped us navigate a new city with ease, and we grew to appreciate how close the hotel is to the underground. Each day we were glad to return to the Montague after several hours of sightseeing, where we'd sit on the terrace and order from the milkshake bar. Seven days was not enough to see everything we wanted to see in London, so we will be back. And when we do we'll be sure to stay at this elegant yet comfortable hotel.

2 Thank tuscantraveler9
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that your daughter appreciated her own space in the room.

We like to make our guests feel comfortable and so I am thrilled that you were able to relax with one of our many milkshakes in the Terrace bar in the evenings.

Our staff constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I’m pleased that the team were friendly and helpful, especially the Concierge who assisted you with guidance around London.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague again in the near future.

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed both the hotel and the neigborhood. The British Museum is around the corner and there is good access to the Tube from both Holborn and Russell Square stations. The hotel has a country-inn feel and the staff are wonderful. Our room was tiny, but well-decorated, with a large bathroom with tub and shower. The bed was comfortable, but the room was so small that we had to place one suitcase on the desk and the other on a chair in order to be able to move around the room. The closet was adequate and had some shelves, but no drawers for clothing, so we mostly lived out of our suitcases. We did not have breakfast at the hotel (too pricey), but did have snacks in the bar area and a wonderful afternoon tea in the conservatory. Overall a good experience and we will return if our budget permits. (We got a very good rate for this stay - booked far ahead.)

1 Thank kaja2
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you found the room to be small. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

However, I was thrilled that you found it to be comfortable and liked the large bathroom.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the snacks in the bar and found the Afternoon Tea to be wonderful.

We hope to welcome you back to the Montague in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Montague is literally steps away from the British Museum--as noted, the location is excellent. The service is just wonderful--it sounds corny but the people here really do seem to care. Also, the food is really, really good--we ate at the Blue Door for dinner twice and were completely impressed with everything--delicious fish, super sweet, fresh veggies, salads and sides, wonderful presentation. For me, the best part was the quiet and peacefulness of Bloomsbury, where the hotel is located. The icing on this cake at the Montague is the walkability of the streets, garden and surrounding area. We were sad to go but extremely relaxed when we did. :)

Room Tip: The staff will literally bend over backward to make sure you are having a good time--call ahead to a...
1 Thank eerrickson
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I’m delighted to read that you had a relaxing time with us.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I was equally pleased that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro and you felt the food was delicious. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful feedback to our kitchen staff who will be most appreciative.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Mountain View, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I traveled to London on a business trip with my husband. While he worked I enjoyed our gorgeous room and all of the amenities at The Montague. The location was perfect to navigate with lots to do close by. The concierge Jorge and the rest of the concierge staff was more than helpful, suggesting things for me to do and scheduling 2 great day trips through Evan Evans tours. I wouldn't have had the same London experience without them! I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank midge1981
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It pleases me to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the Montague and that you found your room and the amenities to be gorgeous.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I was delighted to learn that Jorge and the Concierge team had been helpful during your stay with booking tours and making suggestions of what to do whilst in London. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to Jorge and the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My mom and I went and had afternoon tea and it was amazing. I would suggest it to anyone! We did not stay at the hotel and I did not feel that we were treated any differently than the hotel guests. Each and every person at the hotel that we met was nice and helpful. The tea service is worth the money because the experience makes you feel special! My mom and I split the tea service for two so that we could taste everything and it was just enough for an afternoon snack! We both would suggest this to anyone who wants a nice respite from the day!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

I was absolutely thrilled that you and your mother enjoyed your Afternoon Tea with us and felt it was amazing. We welcome all of our visitors whether they are staying in house or just visiting for a meal in the Blue Door Bistro or Afternoon Tea. Our staff aim to make all guests feel comfortable and ensure that they have a memorable time. Your kind comments that the staff were nice and helpful are most appreciated and I will be sure to pass these on.

Thank you for your kind suggestion that others should visit us for tea and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.