“Just fantastic”

GreenLeadersGold level
Derby, United Kingdom
“Just fantastic”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We decided to book this hotel after much deliberation and was not disappointed in the slightest .
My husband our little boy "Reece" who is nearly four and myself visited over the easter period for the weekend. After spending a full action packed day at Legoland on good friday it was fair to say by the time we arrived at the hotel we were truly pooped !. We were greeted outside by the friendly Concierge ( Jorge ) being exceptionally helpful holding our little boys hand across the road was just the kindness of things to come. We were met by the reception staff with a smile and helpful guide pack .
we booked a deluxe room for the three of us which was beautiful and big enough for us all and an extra treat was canapes, fruit and handmade biscuits which was a lovely touch.
Breakfast was plentiful and varied and Adele who made a special fuss of our little boy especially on Easter sunday where they arranged a easter hunt and our little boy ended up with half a bag full !!
We dined in the restaurant for lunch on Easter Sunday which was beautiful Roast Beef washed down with a glass of Pinot Noir recommended by one of the Waitresses .
Upon our departure we were given coffee to take away and fresh Blueberry muffins , would definately recommend this hotel , especially if you have children all the staff could not help enough and truly made our stay enjoyable , will return again !!.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you had a most pleasant stay here with your husband and son and that you enjoyed the breakfast and Easter lunch with us in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro.

Our staff like to make our guests’ stay with us one that is most memorable, for adults and children and so I am delighted that Adele was able to make Easter a special day for your son with the egg hunt. I was also thrilled to read that Jorge was able to assist with crossing the road. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I'd certainly agree with the majority of positive comments regarding room quality, location, breakfast etc. but I think the service here is what really makes a difference. I've been fortunate to stay at some excellent hotels across the world - some certainly with larger rooms, more facilities etc. - but there was something special about the staff and their attitude here.

There is a real difference between just providing service that 'ticks the boxes' and actually caring about the service you give, and I got the impression that all the staff we encountered genuinely cared that they should be doing their best to make our stay as pleasant as possible. To illustrate this I recently stayed at Ellenborough Park in Cheltenham and, although it's a large award-winning new hotel with amazing facilities and teams of staff, I felt there was a certain cool detachment there which was certainly not evident in the approach of the staff here.

My wife and I received the 'anniversary treatment' of our room on returning from dinner which was delightful surprise. However a better example of what I mean is that on the following morning I was unable to get the heating to switch on so, after many frustrating attempts, I phoned reception. A member of the maintenance team was at at our door within minutes and sadly also failed! However he could not have been more courteous or apologetic and returned directly with 2 heaters as a temporary fix. He asked that we tell reception when we were going out so they could investigate in more depth – apparently a new system has recently been installed and it was likely this was a glitch.

When we went to reception the staff were fully aware of the issue and again apologised and said if they couldn't resolve it they would of course transfer us to another room. We returned much later in the afternoon - by which time the staff had changed shift - but yet again as soon as we mentioned the room number they all immediately and without referring to any system knew not only our name, but also that the problem had been resolved and again apologised. A member of staff accompanied us to the room to show that the system was now working and again could not have been more apologetic. She also very kindly arranged for a bottle of Champagne to be sent to our room as an apology for any inconvenience.

Things - especially when technology's involved - can always go wrong despite everyone's best efforts and I firmly believe that you can tell a lot about an organisation from the way it resolves problems. In this case the hotel and more importantly its staff could not have performed better. All the staff we met from door, restaurant and reception were perfect examples of exactly what excellent, friendly and engaged customer service should be.

This is a hotel that makes you feel special and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room (30) was at the back of the hotel facing the square - very quiet and ideal for people like...
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that you experienced some issues with the heating in your room; however I was delighted that our staff were able to fix the situation quickly and efficiently.
We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed and to receive such lovely comments. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Campbell, California
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed with my teen daughter over Easter break and could not have been happier. The trip was a birthday treat for my 15year old and the hotel prepared special treats for her on arrival as well as a bottle of champagne for me. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms on the street side and it was very quiet. The room was a decent size, a little crowded with furniture and a nice bathroom. Bed was very comfortable and we loved our evening surprises at turn down. The breakfast was excellent with a choice of continental or English breakfast. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and always ready to help. Delicious afternoon tea! The location is superb right by British museum, close to three tube stations and a walking distance to Covent Garden, Soho and many theaters. I would love to stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a better choice with more space. Street side rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ankakalpazanka
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit to the Montague.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have exceeded your expectations and made your daughters birthday stay with us an occasion to remember.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed breakfast and found the afternoon tea to be delicious in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always delightful to receive such kind compliments as yours.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Husband and I stayed here during USA Thanksgiving week and enjoyed our time immensely. We had a beautiful room with a nice comfy chair (a must for my husband) and a very comfy bed. The room service and breakfast was good, though the restaurant for dinner wasn't quite as stellar. One of the most exciting parts of the day was coming back to the room to see what the canapés were for the day. All of the creations were very good, especially when we came in at mid-afternoon snack time. We really enjoyed the shower with its rainfall shower head. The location is perfect if you want easy access to museums and London attractions. All in all, a wonderful stay; we would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your stay with us here at the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us during Thanksgiving and found your room to be comfortable and that you liked the rainfall shower. I was also pleased that you felt the breakfast and room service from our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro to also be good.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just back from our fifth visit to the Montague in the last couple of years - I think that says it all. We like the location very much - it's handy for Covent Garden and the British Museum in particular. The hotel is smart and well run and the rooms well equipped and comfortable. As this is an older building, it has a lot of character and the rooms vary quite a lot in size and lay-out. Actually, for my taste they are a little over-furnished and can sometimes feel crowded, but.. it's a personal thing. If you have particular requirements I would recommend discussing them with the helpful reservations staff. All the staff are most welcoming and efficient.

1 Thank kmtYorkshire
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback following your stay with us.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations. We like to make our guests feel at home when staying with us and so our staff are more than happy to spend the time with you ensuring you have everything you may need and that your requirements are met.

Brighton
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have just returned from an Easter weekend theatre break in London. And spent a night at the Montague... What can I say - a fabulous hotel... We had room 318, it was beautifully decorated to a very high standard.
As we only stayed one night, we didn't use the gym facilities
Spotlessly clean. Everything you could want from a hotel room. Exceeded our expectations.
The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble.
As it was Easter, we also had little chocolate eggs on our pillow. Hand made biscuits in our room, and a lovely handwritten welcome letter from the general manager - never had that anywhere before! A lovely touch - especially as we were celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary.
We saw The Jersey Boys which was fantastic....
I can thoroughly recommend the Montague on the gardens.
Thank you to all staff.

2 Thank Brightonsnowlover
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments following your stay with us.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I’m delighted that you felt the Montague was a fabulous hotel. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always wonderful to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is our second trip to the Montague over the past 2 years. We visited one year ago and stayed at the Montague in the spring of 2012. We were so impressed with the overall feel and service of the staff that we decided to stay here again when we decided to combine business with a pleasure trip for the week. The rooms are small yet cozy and tastefully furnished. The staff remembered us, greeted us by name and sent us a bottle of champagne with a hand written card from the general manager welcoming us back. The concierge was extremely helpful booking us reservations at delightful restaurants as well as securing us excellent tickets to the theatre. The hidden gem is the exceptionally "English" bar that serves a multitude of mixed drinks as well as featuring piano music as well as a clubby atmosphere. We made sure to stop by and have an after dinner drink each night just to relax and unwind after dinner. Brilliant! As the British say! We will definitely be back as we love London and our experience at the Montague.

Room Tip: We had a room at the very end of the hall and it was perfect--extremely quiet.
4 Thank moore2074
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have exceeded your expectations and made your stay with us an occasion to remember again. I’m delighted that our Concierge were able to assist you with booking theatre tickets and that the staff were attentive, with no request being too much trouble.

I’m delighted that you felt our bar had a great atmosphere and that your enjoyed our live pianist each evening during which you were able to relax and unwind.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.