“Great location - nice rooms”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

If you are into old buildings and classic style, this hotel is for you. The location is great, next to the British museum and in a walking distance from Oxford street, Leicester square and china town.

• Stayed: March 2013
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel to be of classic style and the location suited you.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,328)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Beautiful little hotel in a central but quiet part of London. Suzanna on reception was very efficient and charming (as were all the staff I encountered) and check in was very quick. I had asked for a slightly more spacious room with a bath and was very pleased with the room (208).

It has a slightly quirky layout (and I have a few bruises after walking into the furniture), but this is all part of the cham of this type of building. The bathroom (and bath) were a little small but fine, the room itself was very cute with a good size bed and cleverly positioned mirrors and very prettily decorated. Despite the room overlooking the road it was very quiet. The bed was super comfy. Complimentary bottles of water, fresh fruit and cookies were a nice touch and I apprecaite the tea and coffee making facilities (but only one english breakfast tea!!). Ordered room service breakfast which was good and good value. Check out was friendly, quick and efficient. A very cute hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank arw2013
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback following your stay with us.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. However, I was pleased to read that you liked the decor and that the bed was comfortable.

Our staff endeavour to ensure that our guests have everything they may need during their stay and so I am delighted that Suzanna was efficient and charming and was able to allocate you a room with a bath. Your kind comments regarding the staff are most appreciated and I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the Suzanna and the rest of the teams and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at several Red Carnation hotels and the staff/.service are always of the highest standard.The location is great being close enough to walk into the shops/theatres/eateries but sufficiently away from the noise on a night for a great night's sleep( not to be confused with Lenny Henry's idea of a good night's sleep).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MikeW66
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for lovely comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I was thrilled to read that you were able to enjoy a great night’s sleep here at the Montague and you found the service/staff to be of the highest standard. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always pleasing to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague or one of our sister hotels in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in March. Every day we had terrible weather which made walking any distance unpleasant.

The hotel public areas were fine and the staff is lovely, very helpful and pleasant. We were impressed that our room was waiting for us as we staggered in around 11 AM after our long flight from JFK. So often we've arrived at hotels and have been told that check in isn't until 3.

We stayed in 322 -- a "classic king". The room is between the staff elevator and the emergency exist stairway with a strange layout. A small room then several steps up and a 4 foot passageway to a tiny room that had a day bed wedged into it. This room made 322 a triple but since there were the 2 of us it was wasted/useless space.
The "main" bedroom had many mirrors but was small, there was no bureau and not enough room to put 2 suitcases on the floor. We ended up using the day bed for that.
Wifi worked well, plenty of water pressure and hot water.

The location: I hadn't stayed in the British Museum/Russell Square area for years. It is only a 15 minute walk to the West End but the immediate area is boring, scores of low/mid range hotels and cheap restaurants. The squares are pleasant and the BM is close and there are several tube stations near.

Room Tip: Read my notes about 322, most likely avoid unless you need a triple.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marianneNyc

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused.

However I was pleased to read that you were happy with the Wi-Fi and water pressures and that your room was ready on arrival.

I was delighted to read that all of our staff were helpful and pleasant. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here recently and have to say we had a wonderful time. We went to a show and came back for a drink in the cigar lounge which was great, it's rare to have space like that in London.

The staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful and really made us feel welcome. We ordered breakfast in bed, the choice was brilliant and it was delicious.

We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful time here with us and that you were able to enjoy the Cigar Lounge in the evening. I am also thrilled that you found the breakfast from our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro to be delicious.

We are very proud of our staff and it is lovely to receive kind feedback about how they made you feel so welcome and were helpful and friendly. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I visited the Montague for my birthday and it was honour. I received great service and all the waiters were friendly. I enjoyed a beautifully lates out lunch at the Montague and it was perfectly cooked just as I would have imaged. The Montague is by far the greates hotel I have ever visited and the most luxurious. I will definitely be visiting more oftenly to explore the dinner and afternoon tea. I would rate this hotel a five star hotel. It was beautifully furnished and set out. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have exceeded your expectations, and made your visit to us and your birthday an occasion to remember.

I was thrilled to read that you received great service and that the staff were friendly.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I came here on a business trip back in November and to say I was impressed with their services was an understatement. The staff treated you with smiles and sincerity. It was very cosy, the rooms were a bit small but that's what makes it cosy I guess. The detail in the rooms and building is extravagant and the tea is the best I've had anywhere.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your stay with us.

I was happy to read that you were pleased with the service from the staff here at the Montague and that you felt the tea was ‘the best you have had anywhere’.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.