The Montague on The Gardens
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
Thanet Hotel(London)
4,448 results
All reviewsbritish museumblue door bistroafternoon tealeopard barrussell squarered carnationcharming hotelquiet streetbirthday cardcovent gardenthe general managerconcierge staffturn down servicelittle toucheswest endjunior suiterooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Montague is towards the higher end of price range for London, but this is partially justified by its excellent location. It could barely be closer to the British Museum unless it was within the main foyer and it but 10 minutes walk from Covent garden or Soho.
Despite this centrality, it is quiet and the beds give a fine night's sleep.
Room was fair to good on size and the eggs benedict were done to a 'T'.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent stay with us.

It pleases me to read that you were able to relax and get a fine nights sleep in your room and you found it to be fair size. I am also delighted that you felt the eggs Benedict were done to a ‘T’.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here recently for 2 nights and I was made feel so welcome by all the staff I met from the doorman to the cheerful housekeepers I met on the corridors. This is an elegant hotel, beautiful chandaliers show off the fabulous original ceiling work. Afternoon tea is a real treat, the Montague has won awards for it and you can see why.
I travel to london regulary on my own so I look for hotels I can feel secure in and after numberous other hotels I have found the perfect hotel, my single room overlooking the gardens was so cosy and had everything I needed. If you like hotels with original georgian details, cosy comfortable rooms, professional friendly staff, great location, excellent food and attention to detail, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank norcun197

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that all of our staff made you feel welcome. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us.

It pleases me to read that you have found your ‘perfect hotel’ and would like to thank you for your kind comments that the hotel offers comfortable rooms, professional staff and attention to detail.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Met up with a dear friend from New York staying at the Montague, I am always amazed at how well one is treated, especailly by the concierge, he always remebers my name, the genuine smiles and greetings from all staff are a joy, its a bit like coming to a rich aunties home, its such a wonderfull atmosphere.

We had a wonderfull lunch and later drinks, we watched looked longingly as afternoon tea swept past us to the glee of some young tourists from Japan.

Room Tip: some of the ground floor rooms overlook the garden and have easier access for older guests I have'nt been in a room that one would describe as less than cosy, comfortable and charming, that why places like this get loyal customers and re-peat business
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank snapone

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your recent stay with us.

Our staff aim to create that home from home feeling and so I was delighted to read that these efforts are noticed. We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff, especially our Concierge team and will ensure that their service is duly recognised.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch and drinks with us in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Staff were excellent from the moment we pulled up at the Hotel, could not fault the room clean and comfortable.
Throughout our stay the staff were very friendly and we could not have asked for more.
We used the restaurant both nights and the food was first class and again so were the staff.
The Hotel is in a great Location, close to all attractions across the road from British Museum.
Would recommend for anyone wishing to stay in the heart of London.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daves2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback following your recent stay with us here at the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you felt you could not fault the room and found it to be clean and comfortable. Our staff aim to provide our guests with a welcoming and friendly stay and I am pleased that your expectations were met.

I am thrilled that you found the food and staff to both be first class in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro.

Thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was visiting London for the first time on a business trip and found this hotel because it was highly rated and within walking distance to our office. When I booked the hotel I saw there were a lot of comments about how small the rooms were but how nice the staff and service was there so I booked it for the week. I was traveling with a friend and we took the Tube from Heathrow to the hotel. The Tube took about an hour to get to Russell Square and then it was a very short walk to the hotel through a nice park. Check-in went really smoothly and the service was friendly and helpful, the bellman gave us a quick tour of the common areas and the restaurant.

When we got to our room we were very surprised at how small the room actually was. When we commented the bellman offered to take the armchair out of the room to make some space, there was a desk, table, and large closet that took up most of the free space in the room.
Unfortunately the chair did not fit out of the door with all the other furniture blocking the way and ended up getting stuck in the doorway of the bathroom. We then tried to move it back to the original spot and with a lot of struggle got it back into its original place.

Since we didn’t plan on spending much time in the room we made due with the space that we had but it was a very tight living space. I came home with a bruise on my hip from bumping into the desk on a daily basis.

The bathroom in the room was all marble with a rain shower which was nice except there was only a half glass partition and the spring in the glass was a little loose so the water from the shower completely drenched the floor. We ended up sliding one of the face towels between the glass and the tub so that the partition stayed in place.

Other than that the hotel was wonderful! The rooms were well maintained and clean (even though it's an older building). The staff turned down our room every night and was very helpful on places to go in the neighborhood. We had to call down to the front desk for a couple of things throughout the week and they responded very quickly and efficiently.

The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood right next to the British Museum, close to the Tube and walking distance to shops. I would definitely stay here again (but try to get a bigger room).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused and the bruising you may have experienced.

I would appreciate it if you could kindly inform my PA Emma Baldwin at ebaldwin@rchmail.com know what room you stayed in I will ensure that my Chief Engineer repairs the glass partition immediately. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay with us.

However, I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be wonderful; with your room being well maintained and cleaned and that the staff were able to assist you throughout your stay.