“Unique”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is located right near the British Museum and walking distance to Tottenham court road, although my choice of transportation was a taxi which deposited me right in front of the hotel. The room was located on the top floor with a gorgeous bathroom having a fluorescent blue light when everything was switched off. Stairs led to the bedroom with a mini sitting area with a desk right near the stairs.

The colour for the bedroom was elegant beige with walls covered in an amazing beige fabric with white design. All was very elegant, very tastefully decorated, with nice little paintings and cute lamps on both sides of the bed. Large screen TV, double glazed windows although backing towards east or back of the building I guess.

No wonder the hotel is one of the top London hotels, is simply unique and yes I would love to return to. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you found your room to be very elegant and tastefully decorated and that you liked the facilities included.

I would like to thank you personally for your kind recommendation to others and I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for The Montague on The Gardens

Reviewed January 27, 2013

As a travel agent & travel fundi, I naturally have had plenty of experience of hotels both in the UK & around the world and this little hotel is a true gem and a real find! Previous reviewers describe this beautiful hotel very well but the real essence of this hotel is in the extraordinary staff. From phoning to make our reservation with helpful, informative Julie, to pulling up outside & our car being whisked away by Sandor to be parked, to our greeting and check-in by the beaming Susanna and the prompt reappearance of Sandor to show us to our stunning room with a list of thoughtful touches too long to list, to our delicious high tea served by friendly Adele, our tour of the hotel rooms by the super friendly Taryn, to the friendly housekeepers, to enthusiastic barman Vassilious managing the quirky ski lodge in his fun Christmas jumper, to our superb dinner in "The Blue Door" served by efficient Anya, ever chatty Everette & knowledgeable sommelier Tibor.... the list just goes on. The staff operate as a fantastic team, working together and covering for each other with aplomb. We were exhibiting at Wedding Show a few blocks away the next day & concierge team Jorge & Sandor, suggested without a moments hesitation to drive our car at 8am the next morning to park it in the streets near where we would have to unload our heavy boxes and even to go past the venue on their way home after work that night to assess the best place to park. WOW! Where do you get service on this level - certainly not in any hotel we have stayed at in the UK. We will certainly be staying at this hotel again and will be recommending it to our clients as our hotel of choice in London. Saying goodbye to our new London home from home was like staying goodbye to friends. We are looking forward to experiencing the other Red Carnation hotels in London too, after all, 5 of the groups' 6 hotels are in the top ten on Tripadvisor out of the 1082 hotels in London, yes that is 1082 hotels in London - what an accolade!!!! WELL DONE RCH HOTELS & THANK YOU TEAM MONTAGUE!

Room Tip: Every one of the 100 odd rooms in this hotel is individually decorated and unique. When booking you...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent stay with us.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that their stay is comfortable and that they have everything they need whether they are visiting for business or leisure. We aim to create that home from home feeling for our guests and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am delighted that Julie, Sandor, Susanna, Taryn, Adele, Vasileios, Everett, Tibor and Jorge were all able to assist you throughout your stay, from beginning to end. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon and that you have a memorable stay at our sister hotels.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and myself made a return visit to The Montague on the Gardens recently. It was lovely to be welcomed back as "old friends"
From the moment we arrived at the hotel everything was fantastic. The staff could not be more helpful, nothing appears to be too much trouble. So rare to find this in London hotels. Many thanks for three wonderful nights.
Excellent breakfasts to a well stocked bar, and comfortable rooms make for a great stay.
We cannot wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: The garden facing rooms are quieter, but the road at the front is not noisy.
1  Thank Monty180

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback following your stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the breakfast and found your room to be comfortable. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that we have exceeded these once again.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This really is a fantastic team of professionals at the door and the front desk: considerate, friendly, knowledgeable. The room was charming, the shower was excellent, lots of water and hot. Turn down service had lovely touches. Problem with the plumbing however, that wasn't resolved after 3 days, and couldn't get the heat to work without a lot of fan blowing hot and cold. But would stay again, although in a different room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you had some issues with the plumbing and air conditioning during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you. If you could kindly contact the hotel directly with the room number I will ensure my Chief Engineer investigates this further.

However I am delighted to read that you found the staff to be a fantastic team of professionals and that you enjoyed the shower and found the room to be charming.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was the third time we had stayed at the Montague and as always the staff from the reception to the housekeeping are so helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Our room was spotless and the tea and coffee filled up twice in the day.
Its such a delight to arrive back in your room at the end of a evening to find the bed turned down and a chocolate on the pillow.
We spent a lovely couple of hours in the bar with a real Friendly bar staff that my wife thinks make the best margaritas in town.
The hotel is in a prime location for visiting all the major tourist locations and has a very good restaurant, but if you wish its also close to plenty of places to eat.
And we will soon be making our forth visit to the Montague

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your stay with us.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and so I am thrilled that they were able to make your return visit just as welcoming. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed the bar and especially our Margaritas. I shall ensure that your kind comments and thanks are passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were in London to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. Our travel adviser selected The Montague and we're awfully glad she did. It is a relatively small and intimate hotel, well located for easy access to mass transit and the sites of historic London. I have saved the best for last--the staff--amazingly friendly, accommodating, and efficient. Special kudos go to Jorge. He was terrific in every way and made our stay especially enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul G

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your stay with us.

Congratulations on your 45th wedding anniversary, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to Jorge and that his service is duly recognised.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We just returned from four days in London and have never stayed in a more expertly run and comfortable small hotel. The service was flawless. The staff couldn't do enough to please us. Our room was small but very comfortable with lots of amenities, including cookies and candies at night. The breakfast buffet was very good. We loved being in Bloomsbury. The hotel is right next to the British museum and it's a short tube stop away to the museums and sites in Knightsbridge and Kensington. I don't necessarily travel to London to relax,, but this hotel was so warm and welcoming, that I almost couldn't wait to return each day to curl up on one of the comfy sofas in the lounge. Can't wait to make a return visit.

2  Thank rdnyc52

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments following your stay with us.

Here at the Montague we like to make our guests as comfortable as possible and ensure that they have everything they may need. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be so warm and welcoming and that you were able to relax in the lounge.

I am thrilled that you also enjoyed the breakfast in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.