“Attentive service and great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Special Offer
33% OFF - Book Direct!
Ranked #10 of 1,066 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Attentive service and great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights with our 17 year old daughter who had a sofa bed. We found everything clean and ready for us when we arrived an hour before check in time. During our stay the bar area was closed off for a private function on the Saturday night which meant that hotel guests had a very small area to sit and have drinks. However, staff were very attentive and hotel guests were treated to complimentary drinks.
We ordered late supper one night after being out for a show, about 11:30, just a plate of dips. After half hour we cancelled as room service had not shown up and we were ready for bed. In the morning, after my husband had been to breakfast, we had a call from a member of staff to apologise about the slow response from room service. The hotel said that my husband's breakfast that morning was complimentary.
We enjoyed our stay and found everything was tip top and the staff extremely well trained, polite and attentive. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brisbanemad
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Montague.

I was sorry to read that you were unable to access the bar during your stay. Unfortunately during the festive season we do have private functions on occasions. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointment this would have caused to you.

I was also disappointed to read that you had ordered room service which you didn’t receive. I am extremely sorry about this, but am glad to read that the issue was dealt with and the staff were able to apologise to you. I have passed your feedback on to my Food and Beverage Manager in order that we may revisit our procedures and training in this area.

I am however, pleased to read that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and found everything to be clean and ready for your arrival. Your kind comments about the staff being well trained, polite and attentive are very much appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

When I pop into a hotel for a drink, almost never, or pick up my daughter from a teenage party in a hotel, first time, I dont expect to have a very pleasant experience, however this hotel gave me such personal, and charing service, I wanted to make a note.

Personally shown to the old fashioned traditional bar by a receptionist, there was popcorn, olives and nuts on the tables, Champagne and Prosocco by the glass, and plenty of choice in the way of drinks. Deckland the waiter / barman was very pleasant, had time to tell me about the hotel.

As No 5 on the tripadvisor, website, it well deserves this.

3 Thank tflsjp
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

We are extremely proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Declan and that his service is duly recognized.

Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel that absolutely lives up to all of the wonderful reviews it receives. The location of the hotel combined with the fabulous staff and lovely atmosphere of the rooms and all of the common areas made this a wonderful choice for our family's first trip to London. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pickyaboutwhereistay
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the staff to be fabulous. Here at the Montague we aim to create an atmosphere that makes our guests feel comfortable and their visit one that is memorable.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I really can't say enough positive things about The Montague. I was there for four nights in November 2012. My room, while small, was exquisitely appointed. I felt like I was a guest in a palace. Bathroom, toiletries--top notch. I loved the rainstorm-type shower. It was fantastic that a full English breakfast was included, so I could fuel up before heading out each day. And when I came back to my room, exhausted from exploring London, I could order delicious comfort food from the room service menu, which arrived promptly and prepared to perfection. And now for the service--the staff could not have done more to show that my comfort and happiness truly were priorities for them. Feeling a little ill? They'll offer to send peppermint tea to your room. Not sure of the best way to get to your desired attraction? They'll give you detailed, easy-to-follow directions. Fussy eater? They'll prepare your food just as you want it. Have an early flight? They'll hire you a comfy car and pleasant driver to get you to Heathrow on time. No muss, no fuss. Bonus: The Montague is just steps from the British Museum. Wonderful, wonderful, all the way around. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Heather F
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially your room and the rain shower.

Here at the Montague our staff take genuine interest in our guests’ needs. We like to ensure that you have everything you may need during your visit to London to make your stay comfortable and pleasurable. I’m delighted to read that we were able to provide this for you.

I would like to thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We just came back from a weekend stay at this hotel and have to say we loved it. It really is a little gem of a hotel and will be my go to base for London from now on.
The hotel is a boutique hotel just off Russell Square so walking distance to all the major attractions or just a short tube ride away.
The hotel is lovel and the room we were assigned (227) was beautiful and opulent. Our room was over two floors which was a nice surprise and we were even given a box of homemade goodies to devour when we checked in.
The hotel staff could not do enough for us and the service was second to none. Its rare these days in alot of london hotels to be treated like the staff actually care about your custom and I know because this is a small boutique hotel they can afford the time but honestly the staff are amazing.
We managed to visit the Ski Lodge as well on this trip and really wish we could fit in another trip to London before Christmas to do this again as it was so much fun and so Christmasy. If you are in London try and book to go as it really is something different and the food and the flavoured vodkas are great.
I will be back.

Room Tip: Love room 227. Split onto two levels but big enough to sleep three comfortably.
2 Thank rikimuk
Dear guest,

I was pleased to read that you liked your room and felt it to be beautiful and opulent and that our staff gave great service. We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such feedback as yours.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed the Montague Ski Lodge and thank you for your kind recommendation to others. I am pleased to let you know that the Ski Lodge opening has been extended to the 3rd February 2013.

Thank you for your kind comment that the Montague is a ‘gem of a hotel’ and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

my partner and I stayed here for 3 nights recently we were totally blown away by the staff and the service they provide. we have never felt so cared for in a hotel before.
nothing was too much trouble . I was unwell and all efforts were made to help me get up and about quickly including helping to find a doctor. We enjoyed our meal in the bistro and they also went out of their way to accommodate my fussy eating request!!
noting my partners birthday and our first year wedding anniversary was so special to us as a gay couple. ( married in NYC) last year.
Yes the rooms are small but so fantastically appointed I cannot imagine there is anything you could want that's not provided.
We were thrilled with our experience and will stay nowhere else in London in future.

2 Thank pam6
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary. Here at the Montague we aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and ensure they have everything they may need. I’m sorry to read that you were not feeling too well but am glad that the staff were able to help with a doctor and hope that it didn’t interrupt your stay too much.

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant; the Blue Door Bistro and that you had a memorable time celebrating your partner’s birthday and your anniversary.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

It wasn't immediately obvious to me why the Montague was ranked so high. Their strengths are obvious enough: the location on Russell Square is fantastic, the staff is both extremely friendly and very professional, the period building is lovely, and even the finish of the decorations where most hotels let you down tells the story of people who really know and love their business. So far so good. But then there are other things that should bring the points down. For one thing, my single room was so tiny that the double bed barely fit in. Moreover, the decor was like some turquoise imitation rococo more fitting for a hospitality establishment of another kind. The same overdone sense of recreated (rather than renovated) style is repeated in the lobby and other common rooms. But miraculously the Montague pulls it off. So what should be a flaw, isn't. The Montague is a very good hotel, there is no doubt about that, but in addition it has a sense of humour. The room isn't tiny after all, but 'romantic'. The turquoise turns out to be 'fun' rather than tasteless. And I have never seen "do not disturb" traffic lights that you can operate from your bedside! Highly recommended to anyone tired of standardised corporate monotony.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the room allocated. I would like to apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience this caused to you. Being an older individually decorated boutique property, our rooms, sizes and décor do vary and I do appreciate that the styles may not be to everyone’s tastes.

However, I was delighted to read your kind comments about the staff being extremely friendly and professional, we are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such feedback as yours.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.