“We love this hotel!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We love the Montague on the Gardens! We really love it! Have I told you how much we love this hotel? We have stayed here about 4 times including this recent visit for 4 nights in October 2012. Each time has been an absolute delight. You can see my previous review in December 2011 where I told how Mustaffa the concierge went out of his way to help her get her bags delivered when they were stuck in the Rome airport after we flew to London. This time Jorge was a delightful help. Everyone is, from the concierge and desk staff to the wonderful breakfast dining room staff (great breakfasts!) and housekeeping staffs. The rooms are small but very well appointed (flat panel tvs; nice bathrooms). You can pay less in London, we have, but you get the worst hotel value for the $ of any city in the world probably. You can pay more and bust the bank by staying at places like the Ritz (we never have) and perhaps the rooms will be larger, but I can’t imagine that the service could be any better than at the Montague. A delightful boutique hotel, very tastefully done, on the street next to the British museum and you can walk to many good restaurants in the area or to the West End theatre district and Soho and Chinatown easily. We would never again stay anywhere else in London but this hotel. Ask for or book a room on the garden side where it is much quieter than on the street side. It is truly a gem amidst many other bad choices in London.

Room Tip: Garden side is quieter. Worth any extra money.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SANTraveler8
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your praising feedback following your return visit to the Montague.

I was thrilled to hear that on your 4th visit our service levels and hospitality remained consistently high and that on this occasion, our concierge Jorge was able to make a real difference.

Thank you for recommending us to others and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague very soon.

Yours sincerely,
Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,389)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

From the moment we stepped through the doors at The Montague we knew we had made the right choice. At reception my husband asked if we could have a very quiet room (the last place we had stayed was anything but..)the receptionist graciously showed us two rooms and we picked the one facing the gardens. It was a delightful, comfortable room.
We hadn't been in the room three minutes when there was a knock on the door and a waiter came in with a tray decorated with "Happy Birthday!" in chocolate, flowers, handmade chocolates, and a little sachet. This was the result of my casually mentioning that it was my birthday!
The concierges, Mustafa and Sebastian, were amazing. We asked about seeing "Singing in the Rain" which was the hot show in London at moment and within five minutes we had tickets at an extremely reasonable price. The last day we wanted to take a bike ride and, again, Mustafa pulled a rabbit out of the hat and there were two bikes awaiting us at the front door.
This is a wonderful place to stay: great location, fabulous service, and simply delightful!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne927
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Montague on the Gardens to celebrate your special birthday occasion.

I was thrilled to read your comments that you enjoyed the little touches that we provide and in particular the service you received from Mustafa and Sebastian in our concierge team.

I would like to again wish you many happy returns and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had such a nice stay at this hotel. It felt as though we had been transported back in time to a more elegant, no rush era. A modern Downton Abbey level of elegance. First rate service, delicious breakfast, and rich bar area. High tea was also a high point. We are coming back to London and it is our first choice.

Room Tip: Single room was small, but well furnished. Very high class.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Karen R
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

I am thrilled to read that you found your stay to be relaxing and that you enjoyed our bar, breakfast and afternoon tea.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon to the Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at the Montague on the Gardens for ten days in their Guv'nors Suite. Located in the secluded heart of Bloomsbury, it's hard to believe that you are in Central London. It's very quiet and overlooks a lovely private garden of the Bedford Estate.
All of the staff, especially Jorge the Concierge and Everett in the restaurant and bar, aim to fill your every need..........just ask.
The Guv'nors Suite is wonderfully appointed and you feel just like you are at home. You can dine in the Blue Door Bistro for a welcoming and informal bistro-style setting. I personally loved the Al Fresco dining in the romantic, candlelit patio. It's just a magical ambience. Or you can dine on the wood deck or the terrace overlooking the sculptures in the garden. The chef is amenable to whatever you may have a taste for, working his culinary skill with the freshest ingredients from local farms and vendors. You may also try the Conversatories or the Terrace Bar............I tried them all and was so pleased with the excellent service and food. Plenty to choose from!
4 Star Luxury at it's best!

Room Tip: This is a boutique hotel and all of their rooms are charming! The entire area is very quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MostDiscerning

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay in our Guvnor's suite and that you found the service and the food to be excellent. I was especially pleased to read your comments about the hospitality provided by Everett and Jorge. I will ensure that their service is duly recognised.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Two nights at the Montague early September. First overnight visit to London and I wanted my wife to experience a quality hotel that gave us ready access to central London.
The staff at this hotel are excellent, the Montague is just small enough to remain personal, large enough to provide a wide range of services.
The foyer gives you a hint to the decor, British with flair.
Rooms are not massive but the decor and appointments are very special.
Breakfast was provided, table service with hot meal buffet.
The hotel is 150m from the British museum. Close to shopping streets and local pubs.
Excellent beds great place to get over jet lag.
The Montague is surrounded by leafy streets and parkland.
There is nothing about this hotel to offend.

Room Tip: Our room was on the street but windows are double glazed so no street noise. Hotel a short walk to t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Aruboy

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

I was delighted to read your lovely comments and the that you found the appointments of the hotel to be very special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Have just returned home after staying at the Montague for 5 days . I was a bit concerned as to how we would manage due to the fact that my parents are elderly and have diffculties walking ,however from the moment we arrived , until we departed the staff looked after us so well .I cannot praise the staff enough, they made us so welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them . The service was marvellous . The hotel itself is charming . cosy ,warm and inviting and all the rooms are very ,very nice A super hotel ,one of the best I have stayed in and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel .Top top quality .
I shall ,even if it is just a day trip to London , pop in and say hello and have a coffee , and of course will stay here again for a holiday

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pamela w
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

I was thrilled to read the lovely comments from your stay and I am delighted that both you and your parents had a lovely time with us.

I look forward towelcoming you all back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have just spent 4 nights at this wonderful hotel and solely based it on trip advisor reviews and I am happy we did. The whole experience was wonderful, the staff were excellent and the customer service is down to a tee. I run a similar establishment in France so I know how much customers service can make or break a holiday and the staff certainly made our stay. They say you pay for what you get and I felt that it was worth every penny. We did have to send back some room service food but it was dealt with really well and very promptly.

We were celebrating a special occasion and was upgraded without asking and greeted by a cake and balloons - what a wonderful surprise. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very clean.

Particular things I liked......

Free tea and coffee in the mornings downstairs with muffins this was great especially on our early departure.

Staff knowing our special occasion and congratulating us.

A great little find I hope to be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa D

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Montague on the Gardens.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service that you experienced from our team.

I was disappointed to learn that you had to send back an item from your room service breakfast and I have additionally discussed your feedback to the breakfast team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to the Montague on the Gardens.