“Very nice hotel and location”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Wichita, Kansas
“Very nice hotel and location”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is the second of two hotels that my wife and I and brother and sister in law stayed at the last half of Aug. The first was the Sofitel St James and due to availability at the Sofitel we were required to look for a second location. Both hotels are extremely nice properties though they have a few differences. Both were what I would consider 4-4.5 star properties. Montague is an older property and is in excellent shape. We were upgraded to a larger room (109, I believe it was the Viscount suite). Front desk staff and concierge were extremely helpful and were a little more 'down to earth' than the Sofitel front desk staff, though neither is intended to be negative. In my opinion, food at the Montague was superior to the Sofitel. My wife preferred the Sofitel food, finding it a little less 'rich'. She has gluten intolerance and generally found the food a bit lighter at the Sofitel. The room was a very good size, with a lower area (down approx 8 steps from the bedroom area) that included a very large washroom with 2 sinks as well as 2 desks. The bar was nice though service was not as quick as the Sofitel and snacks were hard to come by at the Montague whereas Sofitel was constantly filling up the snack bowls.
This hotel is directly across the street from the British Museum and a very short walk to the Covent Garden district. If you're looking to be a 5 minute walk from the 'action' in a very nice hotel, this is a great choice. It is about a 10 minute walk to Holborn underground station and is a £72 cab ride from Heathrow, though we may have been taken on a bit of a 'sightseeing' cab ride back to the airport.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bderk
MontagueLondon, Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Montague on the Gardens.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us during your time in London and thank you for your wonderful feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to stay with us.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

After a fairly disappointing experience at holiday inn you may read my review about it but we went off to Strasbourg and 4 days later we where back in London and we booked the Montague on the gardens hotel. We came by Taxi and the nice porter opened the cab door for us and put our cases on a to trolley and the nice porter took our cases up to the room that is what the holiday inn could only dream of any we where grated by by two nice young receptionists a Austrian one and a south African one who where both very nice infarct the service was the best i'have ever received from a hotel. when we got up to our room our luggage was delivered but also we got commentary fruit bicets and tea I mean you would only get srivice like that a the Ritz! We did have a problem with the room the sofa bed though because the room was too small and the sofa bed wouldn't fit until we moved bits of furniture out of the way. The following night we went to the bar and we got a relay nice Portuguese student who was studying hotel management so good luck to her. when we cheeked out we were sill greeted by excellent sirvirce and sadly we went home i long to return to this hotel it was one of the best hotels of my life.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Intercity234
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, especially the service you received from our reception and terrace bar team members.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse, we do have a wide variety of room styles and sizes available. Our reservations department will be delighted to discuss your room options with you upon making your next reservation.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights in August. It is much cheaper than nearby hotels of equal standard, the rooms are clean, nicely decorated and comfortable, plus its location is perfect, right next to the British Museum and a short stroll from Covent Garden. The staff is polite and friendly; I tried the room service one night, my dinner was delivered promptly and it tasted delicious, too. The bathroom is fully equipped with toiletries and bathrobes and slippers are provided. Overall, I was very satisfied with my stay and I am happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tuscany82
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

Kfar Vitkin, Israel
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We, 2 senior citizen ladies, have just returned from a lovely week in London. Because of the reviews and rating on Trip Advisor we chose the Montague and were not disappointed. A lovely hotel in a superb location with a staff who cannot do enough to please you! Our room -#22- was large enough for us not to feel cramped. The bathroom was spacious and beautifully appointed. The only downside was our view to a tiny alley. Breakfast was more than ample, served in a beautiful small restaurant . It made lunch superfluous. Many attractions were within walking distance, and public transportation could not have been more convenient. Both of us will look forward to a return visit to the Montague.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GrammaShelly

Thank you for your recent review of the Montague on the Gardens.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, that you found your room to be well appointed and that you enjoyed our breakfast offering.

We do have a wide variety of rooms available at the Montague including rooms which overlook the gardens or the front of the hotel. Our reservations department would be delighted to discuss these options with you upon making your next reservation.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to the Montague on the Gardens.

Kind regards
General manager
Nashville
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Montague on the Gardens while visiting London. The hotel is lovely, with a great location and excellent food! What really sets this hotel apart is the service. We loved all of the staff and found all extremely welcoming and helpful. I am a frequent traveler and can honestly say that the service at the Montague is the best I have ever experienced. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MontagueLondon, Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, August 31, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the Montague on the Gardens.

I am delighted to read your wonderful comments regarding our service and that you found our team to be extremely welcoming and helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to The Montague Hotel.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Spent 3 full weeks there during the Olympics. Staff was absolutely fantastic, made me feel right at home, especially the wonderful ladies taking care of the dining room for breakafast. They remembered everybody's name and went out of their way to help in any way they could.
The hotel itself is very convenient, close to the Tube (Russell Square), a real gem of a boutique hotel in the heart of London. Rooms was very small but I did not spend time in it except for sleeping. Bed was big and comfy though and slept like a baby. Every night you'll find something different on your nighstand, amazing cookies, chocolate or linen spray.
Can't stop raving about this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review of the Montague on the Gardens.

It is always wonderful to receive such feedback about our service and I have especially recognised our wonderful breakfast team for making your stay even more enjoyable.

I am delighted that you chose to stay at The Montague throughout the London 2012 Games and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
Dirk Crokaert,
St. Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just back from 2 nights at The Montague and have to say it was first class.

The place itself is fabulous and the staff are absolutely brilliant. From the minute we arrived to the time they hailed our final cab, the guys couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome.

The hotel is delightful and the bar and terrace overlooking the gardens are a delight. We had lunch on our final day which was perfect, I had Duck Shepherds Pie (yes really) and my partner had one of the best chicken burgers around. Oh, we can't forget to mention the cheese on toast nibbles served with early evening drinks - just great.

This was a birthday treat for my partner and the staff made some wonderful extra touches to make it more special.

One of the nicest places we've stayed in for a very long time. Keep up the good work guys - we'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: The basic room we booked was quite small so we asked for the price of an upgrade. The staff were mor...