“comfortable and close”

GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“comfortable and close”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Had a great stay at the Montague to finish out summer break. I was a bit nervous leading up the arrival, just because we're used to staying in big chain North American accommodations so I wasn't sure what it was going to be like - but I had high expectations having read so many positive reviews from this site. Room was lovely and clean and although it wasn't exactly spacious, there was more than enough room. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be to get better TVs but really not a big deal. I loved the night time turn down service and all the little treats were so delicious particularly the chocolate covered nugget, I wish I had some right now! It was always a nice relief to come back to the clean and cozy room after lots of walking and touring in and around London. EXTREMELY close to Russell Square Underground Station - it was so handy and the walk through Russell Square was always lovely. I loved the Tube, wish all cities had such an amazing subway system! The neighbourhood of Bloomsbury is very quiet!!! At night walking back to hotel from the tube at first I was a little scared but soon realized there was nothing to worry about - felt very safe in sleepy Bloomsbury =)! Great Japanese restaurant very close by called Abeno.

Room Tip: The hotel has unique rooms - not the cookie cutter type like in American chain hotels - so each room...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank picky_travellin
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a very pleasant experience with us, and that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the television in your room. Whilst we currently have some rooms with smaller plasma screen televisions I am pleased to advise that we will be reviewing all of these in the coming months.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague Hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I booked the hotel for our short vacation to London and I am so glad we did. The staff is great, the rooms are small but very nicely decorated. Both the room and bathroom were clean and kept clean by the staff. The hotel restaurant is very good. We had the buffet breakfast every morning and dinner one evening. The downside: wi-fi connection is terrible and the shower stall glass screen is inadequate - water always ended up on the floor. However, we would definitely stay again at the Montague on the Gardens. Ask for Barbara (restaurant staff), she is great.

1 Thank Occasional_Travler61
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities and services that we provided met your expectations, especially the service from Barbara in the restaurant.

I was most disappointed to read that you felt that the glass shower screen was inadequate, and as a result of your comments I have instructed my maintenance team to review the quality of the shower screens in order to ensure that this issue does not reoccur.

I was equally concerned that the quality of the WiFi connection was poor during your stay and we will be contacting our service provider to investigate the issue.

Again I would like to extend my gratitude for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague Hotel in the near future.

Javea, Spain
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I had stayed her previously following a company sponsored conference and I must have been allocated one of the smallest rooms which I didn't enjoy particularly.
So being booked in for a 3 night stay last week I did have a sense of trepidation, but, was pleasantly surprised when I entered my room. The room was much more spacious and the bed did not take up 90% of the space in the room which is what it felt like during my first stay.
Bathroom was very clean and I liked the shower.
I took advantage of the breakfast a couple of times and I was impressed with the quality of the full english breakfast fare; I always wish I had more time to linger over breakfast which I normally don't when I am staying at places on business rather than leisure.
Staff are very helpful and pleasant and it would be nice to spend a long week-end here in the summer to benefit from the gardens etc
I will definitely return .....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you will definitely return having had a pleasant stay with us.

I am equally delighted that on this occasion the size of the room that was allocated to you was to your satisfaction. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique.

Again I would like to extend my gratitude for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel in the near future.

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in July 2011 for 2 nights. It was recommended by some friends who stayed here last year. This is a very lovely hotel, very "British". It has "old world charm". Our room was extremely small, for example, one suitcase was on the floor by the door and if you needed to open the door to leave, you have to zip up the case and stand it up!! With that said, the room was very cosy, and nicely decorated, including the walls being covered in "padded cloth". This, along with the double windows and VERY thick drapes, made for a VERY quiet room, which is much appreciated. The bathroom was very modern, with white marble tile, the ammenities in the bathroom were lovely as well. The shower was wonderful. The people were very friendly and very helpful. I also fully enjoyed eating at The Blue Door Restaurant, where we ate 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts. The tea was perfect; couldn't drink enough of it. Very expensive, but for 1 or 2 nights, it is a nice treat. It is also in a nice quiet area of London, and I might add, a few minute walk to the British Museum.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and it was nice and quiet. As for the extremely small room, if that really...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience at The Montague Hotel.

I was particularly pleased that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful; additionally that you found the decor and furnishings of your room to be to your taste.

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. When you are next making a reservation with us, please do make us aware of your room size preference and subject to availability we will allocate you a more spacious room.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Montague in the near future.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at the Montague on the Gardens for one night at the beginning of September. When we checked in we were amazed by how friendly the reception and concierge staff were. They were very welcoming, offering to take our bags to the room and interested to know the purpose of our visit, without being intrusive.

The room was very homely, clean and spacious. The bathroom was stunning which included a bath and even a rainfall shower. We had arranged a picnic for delivery to the hotel prior to our visit and reception telephoned us when it arrived. We had forgotten a picnic blanket but the staff found us a spare picnic blanket which they were happy to lend us.

The hotel is a short walk from Russell Square and we enjoyed an afternoon sitting in the park. Upon returning to the hotel, the front desk was very interested to know how our picnic was and it was clear that they were generally interested, rather than just being polite.

We freshened up in the room before going for an evening meal on the terrace. The garden is sheltered by the surrounding buildings so it isn’t too windy or cold. The waitress was attentive and chatty. She was happy to provide recommendations and answer any questions that we had. They had a very wide selection of food and drinks to cater for all. The starters were superb. I had Crab and avocado cocktail whilst my fiancé had Plum tomato and goat’s cheese tart. It was so good that both of us were jealous of the other person’s choice!! We both had a “smokey joe” burger for main. It had all the taste of a freshly made BBQ burger without all the hassle that comes with it. We ordered Strawberry Alaskas for desrt on the waitresses recommendation. Neither of us had experienced anything like it. A strawberry ice-cream that had been baked in a meringue nest. You have to see it to believe it! A warm and cold fusion of strawberry ice-cream desert. A real treat for the taste buds.

We went for a theatre performance in the evening which was a stone throw away from the hotel. We didn’t even need to mess around with a taxi. Again, the reception staff were helpful in providing directions and a map to help us get around.

Having returned to the room we both had a wonderful night’s sleep. The room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. In the morning we went downstairs for a breakfast fit for a king. A selection of cereals, a continental breakfast buffet and a full English breakfast buffet. The tables were sufficiently spaced apart meaning that you did not feel like you were sharing your coffee with the table next to you. The “hot” breakfast buffet consisted of scrambled eggs, sausages, beans, mushrooms, hash brown, bacon (streaky and crisp!) and bubble and squeak. If you stay at this hotel you must sample the bubble and squeak – you will know what I mean when you experience them for yourself!!

Unfortunately our time at the Montague had come to an end and we had a train to catch. The checking out process was swift and trouble free. Thank you to the Montague and all its staff for making this a weekend to remember. No doubt you will be seeing us again in the not too distant future.

2 Thank MandL1007
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your comments and pleased that you had an enjoyable experience at The Montague.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you received from our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was our second visit to the lovely Montague on the Gardens and it didn't disappoint! We booked a theatre package which included breakfast and a pre-theatre dinner. On arrival the receptionist asked if we would prefer to take our dinner on a different evening to the theatre to enjoy a more leisurely experience and that is what we did. Everything about our 3 night stay was perfect. We were upgraded to a suite with separate lounge area and small study and it was so comfortable and luxurious that we could hardly tear ourselves away. The bathroom was spotless with lots of lovely toiletries and even a tv! As it was my birthday during our visit, complimentary canapés, biscuits and delicious strawberries dipped in dark chocolate were delivered to our room, which was a very nice surprise. The staff were very attentive in all areas of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was well-stocked and there was a good range of hot extras to be ordered. Our dinner was delicious and both the menu and wine list were extensive. This charming hotel is in the quiet Bloomsbury area just opposite the British Museum but an easy walk from St Pancras and to theatreland if you don't want to take a tube or taxi. It is an absolute gem and we will definitely go back.

1 Thank Sue B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Beautiful setting excellent staff some perfect personal touches but..... Booked a month or so ago with trip advisor. So read lots of good reviews. I was therefor surprised when I came into the intimate room with low ceilings and warmth. Next morning the cleaner organized maintenance to check the air conditioner as we spent a hotnight under sheets only. Supposedly all sorted, but till last day it was hot in our room, even hotter in the hallways walking to our room.

Staff were excellent, all of them were very helpful. Water in the room was scarce. Continental breakfast was basic. Husband enjoyed his full breakfast.

I think it is the English pub feel, small rooms, lots ofcarpet and fire doors everywhere. Not my kind of place for those prices. But , excellent location, staff and very clean.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank HeatherAuS
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at The Montague.

I was sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable with your room and the general ambience of the hotel. The Montague is a listed building, made up of various Georgian townhouses, and all of the rooms are different in size and all individually decorated, in keeping with the traditional English style, and I apologise that this was not to your personal taste.

I was surprised, reading your comments regarding the temperature of the room, as well as the hotel in general, as we do have air-conditioning in all of the bedrooms, and the public areas throughout the hotel. I have now asked our maintenance team to investigate as to whether any remedial work is required to the system. Again my sincerest apologies if this made your stay uncomfortable.

I am pleased to advise that we have now decided to replenish all bottled water automatically throughout our guest’s stay.

Thank you for your great feedback with regards to our staff and the service that you received in general.