“Great hotel, great location, great staff but let down by breakfast”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel
Ranked #118 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great location, great staff but let down by breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights during business trip. Great location for theatres, cinemas, restaurants, tourism and all major business/government districts. It's quite a trendy area so quite busy at night, so good to aim for a rear facing room if you are a light sleeper.

Very friendly, welcoming and helpful reception staff. Rooms are small but that's common in central London - still all you are likely to need for a short stay. Bathroom was very small and could present a problem for someone with a fuller figure ...

TV and inroom entertainment all good. Complimentary wifi. Housekeeping staff friendly, fast and efficient.

I would have given the hotel a full 5 stars, but I think it is let down by the quality and choice of the breakfast and some pretty unimpressive breakfast service staff. The buffet selection of the breakfast is not very wide and the cooked breakfast choice is limited unless you are prepared to pay a supplement (e.g extra £2 for eggs benedict). I went for full English on both days and it was pretty paltry stuff. Also had to ask twice and wait some time before getting my cooked breakfast on one day. On the other day my cooked breakfast arrived and was thrust on to my table almost as soon as I had sat down to eat some fruit from the buffet. I also noticed that other guests were having to order more than once and had things delivered to them that they hadn't ordered (with little or no willingness to accept the guests argument that they hadn't ordered what was delivered). Overall I just didn't think the quality, organisation and friendliness of the breakfast staff came anywhere near the standards set by other staff I encountered (including the concierge who told me of a great little place in Covent Garden to buy quality cigars ...).

I would certainly go back, but I'll have breakfast elsewhere next time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. Thank you also for staying at The Mercer Street hotel!

Our guests feedback is vital to the success of our hotel. I will of course pass on your comments regarding the breakfast service to the Restaurant Manager, who will address any issues such as these immediately, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have caused. On a more positive note, it is great that you have enjoyed other aspects, it is wonderful to hear you kind comments about the our location!

Next time you are staying with us, please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your arrival so that I can ensure we have a room to your preferences.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed mid week at this so called high end hotel! As soon as we checked in we began to realize that good customer service was missing. After our initial booking of a twin room for my daughter and me, the receptionist advised us there was none available, we would have to have a double. After 15 minutes we were finally located on the top floor in a tiny room. As we were checking in another client was informing the staff that she had booked a first floor room as she couldn't use a lift, they told her that sorry, but the only room available was on the 6th floor! It seems that if you ask for basic requirements they are ignored. Breakfast service was awful, a very rude, unhappy looking "head of restaurant" showed us to a very cramped seat, muttered under his breath, did we want coffee, assumed we both did, on walking away asked us about toast! None of which arrived, we asked another waitress who wasn't really bothered. I have stayed in many hotels, and quite frankly have had better service in a Travellodge! I definitely won't be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank izzi9999
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for staying with us.

This is extremely concerning to read, my sincere apologies that you had such an experience at The Mercer Street hotel.

I would like to investigate this matter and follow up with any training that needs to be done with the team. I have sent an email with my details so that we can discuss the incident further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The bonus of this hotel is its location: in the middle of everything, next to Covent Garden and surrounded by theatres and design boutiques, you can fully breath the bohemian London. The style of the hotel obviously follows this fact, puts emphasis on design, which is nice but (irrationally) feels the lack of functionality. I´ve stayed here twice and I had a room where wardrobe with tea facilities as a part of bathroom a toilet, a bit disgusting (you literally prepare tea next to your...you know what). Also no minibar was in the room which is strange in a hotel of this level. I also had problems with food - as I am allergic to milk protein, they could not find any (!) dairy free bakery for my breakfast. And breakfast itself doesn´t woth the high prize. Anyway the staff is nice and helpful and the hotel tiny which is always better than those huge modern buldings with thousands of rooms. Fast wi-fi (complimentary) and TV including cable channels and couple of movies were also a nice surprise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tereza S
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Mercer Street Hotel and for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate all our guests feedback as it is vital to the success of the hotel. My apologies that the room allocated to you on this occasion was not to your complete satisfaction. I do hope that this does not deter you from staying with us in the future as I am sure we have a room that is to your preferences.

I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary wireless and television channels. I have discussed your comments with the hotels management team so that we can use this to better enhance our guests stay in the future.

If I can be of help with future reservations do not hesitate to contact me.

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute and was not disappointed! Fantastic location right on 7 Dials! Close to all theatres and covent garden. Clean beautifully decorated very comfortable beds! Although we didn't have breakfast we will be booking again!

• Stayed August 2013
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Jess H,

This is a fabulous review – Thank you for staying with us at Mercer Street hotel, it is very much appreciated!

Next time you are planning a visit, don’t hesitate to contact me so that I can make sure you are well looked after and create even fonder memories of your time at The Mercer Street hotel.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and have found it to be an enjoyable experience every time. The hotel is situated on The Seven Dials near to Convent Garden and gives you a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. We have eaten in the hotel restaurant, the food was good and again the staff very upbeat and helpful especially Steve the restaurant manager.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you need to on arrival, some rooms attract a drinks voucher for the bar which covers the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

May we thank you for leaving your feedback on Trip Advisor and for staying with us at The Mercer Street hotel!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoy our hotel so much and that you find the Mercer Team exceptionally friendly. Thank you for recognising Steve the Food and Beverage Manager – he is a true ambassador of ‘YES I CAN’ and always leads by example.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of the Raddison Blu, Mercer Street. Stayed there as I wanted to be close to the Novello Theater for MaMa Mia, when checking in there was a really fresh smell in the reception area, call me mad but it was extremely distinctive, was actually really nice to smell a fresh hotel reception. When going up to our room itself it was quite spacious.. Everything was immaculately placed. The bath room was quite a squeeze, we stayed on the 2nd floor. Breakfast this morning was really good not sure if it was worth every penny but nevertheless was a pleasure. My only two negatives on this stay was the one house coat had stains on a few places which was quite off putting, and it disappointed me a bit due to the good standards that I had experienced. Secondly the front desk receptionist had her iPhone out and was texting whilst a reception trainee was dealing with my booking, in my opinion this is unacceptable there is a time and place to text and this is not on the front desk where customers are commuting through regularly. Overall good stay, I would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank TyroneRFowles
Dear Guest,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for staying with us at The Mercer Street hotel.

I am delighted you had a good stay and enjoyed the fragrance we have in the Lobby!

With regards to the service issue you experienced upon check in, my I assure you that this is absolutely not a true display of the standard of service we have, nor the amount of respect we show our fellow colleagues and guests. Note we will look into this and make sure we take the necessary corrective steps to ensure this does not reoccur. I am glad that this has not deterred you from staying again in the future.

If I can be of assistance with future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel reception.

Vancouver, Bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is centrally located in a great location in Covent Garden. The room was quite small, but clean and the bathroom was well equipped with all the amenities. However, the room was dark and the windows were bare. As our room faced an office building, we had to close the drapes if we wanted to put the lights on. It would have been nice to have natural daylight so perhaps some sheers or privacy blinds would be nice on the windows. Otherwise, we really enjoyed the hotel and location.

Room Tip: Try a higher floor to have a bit more privacy from buildings across the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Mercer Street hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

My apologies that on this occasion the room allocated to you was not to your complete satisfaction, however I am pleased that you found the room well equipped and clean!

With regards to the privacy issue, I will discuss this with the Hotel Management so that we can avoid such incidents in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance with future reservations, I can easily be contacted via the hotel reception.