“Not the calm oasis we were hoping for”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel
Ranked #95 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This review may not be relevant for those considering booking accommodation at the hotel, although the comments made in it may be helpful in relation to their use of some of the services that go with staying in it.
Having been in the maelstrom of people, traffic and noise that is the Covent Garden - Leicester Square area at peak shopping time, my wife and I needed a drink (strong in my case), a snack, good rest rooms and a comfortable quiet place to relax for short while. The cost of such indulgence at this point was not an issue. We headed for the Mercer Street Radisson which we knew from a sometime ago visit for afternoon tea and where we thought we would find readily available what we were looking for.

We were cordially greeted at the door by two meeters and greeters, one of whom courteously escorted us the bar/lounge area. So initial far so good. There were other guests in the room giving it a lively, welcoming atmosphere. We headed for a comfortable corner seat, vacating it at speed when we discovered it was immediately below a very threatening speaker blaring out that soul destroying insistent canned musak beat, apparently beloved by the more modern youth of the day. We tried to find alternative seating where the "music" could not be quite so fully damaging to our street worn nerves, actually placing an order while doing so. We asked a bar staff member if something could be done about the decibel levels of the music; a move was made to a behind the bar point, but the music continued at the same strident level. With the music now causing us unease we cancelled our order and prepared to leave. A member of the all female bar staff (don't hotel bars do men these days?) helpfully suggested that we could sit in the restaurant where there are no speakers. We accepted this alternative which of course meant giving up the chance of comfortable arm chairs for our break and being in a fellow guest-less, otherwise empty, large room on our own.

The mint tea and Manhattan drinks we ordered eventually appeared - how five young ladies can have taken so long to organise this simple ask is something only they can answer. The mint tea was, however, very good having been made with real mint leaves. My Manhattan was a semi disaster however. Served in a sizeable tumbler instead of a cocktail glass, it came with 27 small ice cubes which on melting would have so diluted the alcohol as to make it undrinkable. I should have sent it back, but by this time I needed the stimulation. I was able to spoon the cubes out onto a plate with a generous coating of the alcohol attached and was finally able to have my restorative drink. The leek and ricotta filo parcels we had ordered initially, had to be re-ordered and eventually appeared. They were delicious so some harmony was restored. We were however taken aback when the bill appeared with a 12.5% service charge added to it. It was removed when we so requested. It was at this stage that I discoved that the member of bar staff who had prepared my Manhattan had done so for the first time ever and had to ask around to find out how to do it. This seemed to me to be a serious management failing at the hotel not to have ensured that the bar/lounge staff were able to ensure that all items on the menus were within the capability of the staff on duty to prepare and serve.

Before leaving the hotel I was able to speak to a Front Office Manager and bring to his attention the disatisfaction I felt over the inappropriate music and its level, the tardiness of the service and the lack of any member of the bar staff able to produce a pretty standard cocktail. He agreed I had grounds for complaint and volunteered that I was not the first to protest about the type and sound level of the music in the bar/lounge. He thanked me for pointing out the shortcomings of the bar staff over the cocktail, and invited me and my wife to return in the near future of complimentary drinks.

It would be good to know that the Radisson Management has remedied these issues so that guests can enjoy the otherwise many pleasures of being in the hotel.

Room Tip: Not applicable in the case of this review
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank A B
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a wonderful overnight stay in this well placed hotel.Nothing too much trouble for the attentive,helpful staff. Comfy rooms great breakfast
lovely housekeeping staff. Close to everthing theatre landish.Really appreciated the way they treated my 82year old Dad,the Maitre d was so nice,it makes all the difference when your experience of life is noticed and commented on.Top time

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Manager-Mercer, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank for your recent feedback, I have passed on your praised to all the staff as you mention we do have friendly and helpful staff, wonderful and comfortable rooms, location could not be better as Covent Garden feels like a little village in all the hustle and bustle of London. We really look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The real plus point about this hotel is the location. It is in the Seven Dials area of Covent Garden which is a lovely villagey type of place with lot's of independant shops and it puts it within striking distance of Soho, the theatre district, Picadilly and Leicester Square.

I checked in and was allocated a room on the first floor overlooking the street. This was a lovely floor as you could sit next to the window and watch the world go by. Check in was efficient and I was told my double deluxe room came with £15 of drink in the bar each night and a free film. 10 minutes after getting into my room reception called to check all was OK.

The room was very nicely decorated although even for London standards I found it small especially the bathroom. My favourite hotel is the Deanstreeet Townhouse in Soho and I would compare the size to their "tiny" rooms. The high tech entertainment station took some working out but once you did it was very effective. However the film choice was dire. The room had my pet hate a tiny hairdryer on a tiny cord and bizzarely it was attached to the inside of the wardrobe.

Real plus point was an empty fridge so I was able to buy some drinks and inexpensively stock it up.

The first night I met my husband who had travelled separately in the bar for a drink and was unable to get a seat as most had been reserved (Friday night at 7.30) and had large groups occupying them. I had to stand at the bar and was constantly been asked to move so the waiting staff could ferry around drinks orders. We had a couple of quick drinks at the bar and left for dinner.

The next night was similar so we had our drinks at the bar and left (lovely if not expensive cocktails).

We were at a show and had a late dinner that evening arriving quite tired back at the hotel at midnight. Our sleep was very quickly interupted by the fire alarm. We grabbed our coats to leave and then it went off. This happened several times within the space of an hour. Outside in the corridor each room was doing what we were doing. Several of us rang reception to find out what was happening and nobody replied. Needless to say the night was a right off as even when the alarm stopped we were on edge waiting for it to go off again. So lovely comfy bed was a little pointless.

On checking out the next day I complained about the evening to be told that it was because someone in the bar had pressed the fire alarm and they couldn't find a replacement cover to reset it. When I said I was annoyed nobody had picked up the phone in reception so we could understand what was happening I was told it was because for safety reasons they needed to stay next to the alarm! No apology was given.

Then I was presented with my bill - I had spent an hour or so each night in the bar using my "free" drinks and buying a couple more. I was staggered to see on each drink I had also been charged a service charge. Given that on both nights I had to stand at the bar and order my drinks and drink them at the bar I was astonished that of my £31 bill I had been charged a fiver for non existent service. I was rather patronisingly told in London this was standard practice. I travel to London and stay for business at least twice a month so am not quite the country mouse and have never been charged a service charge for standing at the bar and ordering my own drink before. I refused to pay and it took quite some time for it to be removed.

Would I stay there again? Well I don't think so I paid over £500 for two nights and frankly have stayed in premier inn's which deliver better service - at least with their good night sleep guarantee I would have expected a refund of one nights stay. Without doubt the location is lovely however the service was so bad it didn't make up for it.

Real shame as the refurbishment is great but it felt just like a sticking plaster on a bad experience.

Room Tip: I would go for the first floor overlooking the street it is a great people watching opportunity.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Izzyk

Dear Guest,

It is great you found how wonderful and comfortable our rooms are and the location could not be better as Covent Garden feels like a little village in all the hustle and bustle of London.

I am concerned though to learn from your disappointed regarding the service in the restaurant and at the front desk. Please accept my sincere apologies as it is definately not the standard we deliver on a daily basis.

If you intend to come back to our hotel please contact our Front Manager so he can personally look after your stay and ensure your experience will be a one off.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is seems brand new. The weird thing is on the second floor the hallway to the rooms has weird stairs. Make sure to let the bell bring up your bags. The locations is great, next to shops and bars with only a short walk to great food. The theater is also very close. The underground is also close so you can go and explore any area you want.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Edwardian Blu Mercer Street hotel and that you found the location to be great. As you rightly pointed out we are located close to many attractions which London has to offer and within the hassle and bussle of Seven Dials area. I was also delighted to read your comments and passed the praises to my colleagues who are striving to offer excellent customer service at all times.

We look forward to welcome you back in near future again.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stopped at the Mercer street radisson while attending a weekend course in London. The check in was pleasant and quick and the over all appearance of the hotel public spaces of the hotel are very nice. The location around Covent Garden is loverly and feels very safe.

Room
Nicely decorated room which was spotlessly clean. There were a couple of problems
1) The bed was not a double it was large single bed
2) The wall mounted TV was far to small for the wall and the room.
3) No desk or work space. There was a large circular table and comfy chairs, but the chairs were too low to use the table
4) I prepaid for the movie package but there wasn't a great choice of on demand films

Food.
1) I ordered room service one night. It was delivered promptly and was delicious
2) Breakfast was a bit of let down. Fried eggs that had been over cooked (so no runny yolk) on each day, tinned mushrooms (which I hate) and bland sausage. The bacon was really good quality though.

Overall, it should be better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you overall enjoyed your experience in our hotel. Your comments have been taken on board and will be reviewed. I certainly agree with you as the location could not be better since Covent Garden feels like a little village in all the hustle and bustle in London.

We really look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My mother paid for my partner and i to stay at the hotel for my birthday. Great area, and the hotel and room look great. Unfortunately our experience was let down by the terrible service we received.

Firstly the hotel advertises their great "next generation technology" allowing you to connect iphones/ipods to the tv. When we arrived our TV was not working, the whole screen was pink. Clearly this had not been checked before we arrived. After immediately reporting it to the hotel staff it was not replaced until late the next day (over 30hours after it was reported).

Then the next morning, we went to breakfast, knowing the that my mother had pre-paid this, and this was confirmed at our arrival. We were told that it hadn't been paid for, so we had to go back to the reception staff who again conformed that it had been paid for, and let the breakfast staff know. They nicely apologise, and even the manager came to apologise for the mistake. Unfortunately the same then happened the next day. You would think that once the manager has been involved that there would be some communication.

In addition to this hassle at breakfast, when checking out the staff said then told us that breakfast hadn't been paid for and tried to charge me. I informed them of the previous hassle and they said "we will sort it out later". I presumed that this at least would mean that they would check with the manager, however a couple of days later i noticed that they had charged me for it.

In addition to this shocking lack of communication we asked the reception staff for some coffee as our room only had tea, and this was never replenished, and there was no hairdryer, again after requesting one.

For any hotel you expect staff to be able to communicate, but especially for a hotel in which you are paying premium prices.

.Also there was no hairdryer. I paid for their breakfasts separately. However at breakfast they were refused admittance. Emabarrassed and upset she phoned me, I was on a train to meet them. I phoned the manager who took them to reception and they discovered it was paid for. Blow me exactly the same thing happened at the next breakfast. I am amazed that a hotel, which brags , so much about its Cutting Edge Technology, cannot communicate with itself.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to learn from your review that you did not have had the experience you were hoping for, The issue has been brought up with my Food and Beverage team as there has been a breakdown in communication. Further I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with regard to the Apple TV system.

Please feel free to contact the Senior Team at the hotel if you intend to make a future booking so we can make sure you have a hassle free experience.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff and very nicely appointed and clean room.

One major problem for me though - I booked a superior double room expecting it to be a reasonable size - as in all of the room photos I saw. However the room turned out to be very small - only just about big enough to move around the bed.

By it's decsription I would have expected a superior room to be superior to some of the other rooms available in the hotel - it turns out that this is not the case. In fact these are the cheapest rooms. So as the room is not superior to any other rooms in the hotel - PLEASE DO NOT REFER TO THESE ROOMS AS SUPERIOR- as they are in fact INFERIOR to all other rooms types.

So as a word of caution, do check the room size before booking.

That aside, the hotel is very good but as I'd booked this as a treat for my wife's 50th birthday I was very disapointed.

Room Tip: check the size of your room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndreVCheltenham

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Edwardian Blu Mercer Street hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you felt the room which was allocated to you was not big enough, please be advised that we do offer a wide variety of room sizes and you are always likely to find a great promotion on our Radisson Edwardian website.

I look forward to welcome you back once again in the near future.