“Pleasantly Surprised”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #112 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We booked the hotel as a mystery 5 star booking through Lastminute.com for £99 for the night. The location was the key factor since we were going a show.

When we read the recent reviews for the Hampshire, it filled us with fear that we were going to be staying in an unfinished building site with very rude staff. Thankfully the reality was different!

As we walked towards the Hampshire with bags, a well presented porter swiftly came to our aid and offered to carry our bags. The reception was clean and tastefully decorated with no signs of workmen.

We arrived 30 minutes before official check in time but we the receptionist did not seem to mind and booked us in. After a few minutes, they informed us that since the king size room booked was not ready, we would be upgraded to a luxury king.

The room itself was a good size- spacious even for London! Everything was clean and it appeared to have been recently modernised. We were on the 7th floor adjacent to the suite rooms. At this level, there was still a little noise in the morning which was probably due to sleeping with the window open (The air con was not really up to much)

We didn't have breakfast included in the price but ate at the hotel anyway because my partner had to work in the morning. The advertised breakfast price was £21 each but came to less than that for two even though I had full English and she had eggs benedict with smoked salmon.

Overall, I think this is a great hotel to stay in for going to the theatre but lacks leisure facilities for longer stays

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
DanielCamargoScholz, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel for your last stay in London’s Theatre and shopping Land.
We are delighted to know about your experience with our staff and the great location of our Hotel.

Thank you very much for your great review and we very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 10, 2008

Well, I'm not quite sure where some of the other reviewers have been staying, but we had a fantastic time! There were absolutely no refurbishment works going on, the guy on reception was extremely polite and helpful and our room was fantastic! (which was ready when we arrived at 4pm)
We stayed in one of the suites and we had a huge living room with comfy sofas, dining table, TWO Bang & Olufsen tvs and a lovely marble bathroom with a separate double shower and bath (and the room was nice and clean). We got a welcome phone call about half an hour after we arrived in our room and when we ordered room service it came promptly and was very nice.

This is a fantastic location and we will definitely return the next time we go to London.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 1, 2008

I booked this hotel through lastminute.com as a topsecret hotel for £99. I was wary of using the top secret system but the hotel was described as '5* elegant and grand hotel' so I really didn't think I could go far wrong. This was a surprise trip for my boyfriends birthday so I really wanted everything to be perfect, and when we saw the hotel from the outside I was really pleased as it does look grand and its literally on Leicester Square so a perfect location. To be honest that's the only real positive unfortunately. I had noticed on lastminute.com when I booked that in small print it did say they were renovating the bar but I wasn't too bothered about that as I knew there'd be plenty of other options. However it is actually the reception area that was being worked on and it was very noisy! The staff kept apologising for the noise and made them stop whilst we checked in which was very nice of them, and you couldnt hear it from our room luckily anyway. When we got to our room I was bitterly disappointed, not only by the size (tiny), which I had half expected anyway from other reviews, but this particular room really was in need of a serious makeover. It was old fashioned and shabby, especially the bathroom where the paint in the bath had chipped away (bathroom was also smaller than the premier travel inns I stay in for work!). We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on that (we went to The Ivy which was amazing!), but when we returned later that night we decided on a Baileys latte each in the hotel bar and it cost £20, that really hurt! (even in my less than sober state)

Really good location, and good price for London at £99, but no way is it 5*, I wouldn't give it anymore than 3* I'm afraid.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the very late reply to your feedback. Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel. We do very much value all of our guests’ feedback, both positive and negative, as it is essential to the improvement of our service standards at the hotel.
We would like to express our sincerest apologies for the fact that you did not have the great guest experience that we are known for.

With that in mind, you are more than welcome to contact me directly in the future so I can personally look after your booking.

Reviewed August 28, 2008

I was looking to book a stay in London in August 08 and found this hotel again. I stayed there in April 08 - they were in the middle of refurbishing the hotel. I booked it through lastminute.com as a top secret hotel. Boy did I wish I hadn't. Excellent location, that's about the only good thing to say about it. I could not believe there was no warning that this hotel was being so extensively refurbished and now I can't believe a) the refurbishment still seems to be going on and b) people are still complaining about the state of decoration of the rooms.
The staff were terrible, really not helpful and there were SO MANY guests complaining, there was generally a queue of unhappy guests every time I went to the desk to complain...
And the staggering thing is...this is still going on. I am so glad I came on to read these reviews and avoid the hotel. I booked another hotel this time (also through lastminute) but this time I could read reviews and booked accordingly....
I did complain to lastminute about this booking at the time but they did nothing...I'm very surprised to see this still on with no warning about refurbishment.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 25, 2008

Booked the hotel thru lastminute.com as a Top Secret deal so got it for £100 a night which I didn't think was too bad for a five star hotel in central London. However, when we arrived started to realise it might not have been such a good idea after all!! I had requested a non smoking room but there were none available so were given a smoking room, it wasn't too bad in the room itself although the corridor outside stank of smoke.

The room was very small and the finish was not to a very good standard. There were some stains on the eiderdown but we didn't use that anyway as the duvet and sheets seemed clean. I wouldn't say this is a 5 star hotel - more like 4 star. The best thing was the location - right on Leicester Square and although we were so close to the centre of things the room was surprisingly quiet, even with the window open.

I wouldn't recommend using the mini bar or the bar in the hotel - 2 drinks set us back £20!

All in all an OK stay but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 22, 2008

I have just returned from London where I had booked the 5 star Hampshire Radisson Edwardian Hotel as a “top secret hotel” through lastminute.com.

I was extremely disappointed about this hotel which is supposed to be the flagship of Radisson Edwardian Hotels. When I arrived I was checked into one of the standard rooms. All the rooms of this category have small queen size beds which are not really suitable for 2 grown adults. When I went back to reception I was told that this is all they could offer in this category but they are happy to upgrade me to a standard king size room at a supplement of GBP 25.00 per night. I didn’t really understand why a standard double is not the same as a standard king size but after a long pointless discussion with a rather “nice but useless” receptionist, I agreed to pay the supplement and finally got a room with a larger double/king size bed.

I also need to mention that in addition to the bed being too small, the standard room which I was shown first was in an extremely poor condition. The curtains were dirty and had holes in them, the carpet was full of paint stains and in the bathroom the paint came of the bath tub. All what I could see was in desperate need of a refurbishment.

Unfortunately even in the upgraded room category I experienced a problem again. The shower was leaking so that after every shower the bathroom was completely flooded. I informed reception and unfortunately their maintenance team was not able to fix it. So I had to move again and the duty manager showed me several rooms before I finally found one which was acceptable.

Even in this room there were again minor problems. The minibar was out of order and there was no hair dryer in the room. Again only after speaking to reception, both of these problems were fixed the following day.

I brought all these things directly to the attention of the General Manager. He agreed to waive the supplement for two of the nights but didn’t even apologize for the problems I experienced.

This hotel was advertised by lastminute.com as a top secret “Grand 5 star” hotel. I am not sure if their contractors were really shown the rooms which I have seen but there was nothing “Grand” about it. Like most London hotels, the lobby is much nicer than the rooms and usually the better the location, the poorer the quality of the hotel.

In this case I can only say, if you can get a good deal at this hotel (around GBP 99.00 per room per night) and you are happy to accept a 3 star room quality with an excellent location, than this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank MKLON72

Reviewed August 21, 2008

My comments are similar to other posters, and it seems to be a recurring theme about rooms not being ready for check in at 2pm. We arrived at 11am, not expecting to check in but to drop our bags while we went out for the afternoon. However, we did check in but the room was not ready, but were told it would be at 2pm. We returned at 4pm and the room was still not ready. Throughout the course of our stay we noted that this happened regularly, with the bar area being full of people waiting for their rooms.

The room was a decent size and nicely furnished. I had emailed ahead requesting a room with a view on a high floor, however we were allocated a room on the 2nd floor facing a brick wall. We had also rang ahead to ensure that there was an iron and ironing board in the room and were told that there was, however we could not find it. Also, we waited half an hour for our bags to be brought up, and ended up ringing reception who also arranged for an iron to be supplied.

The bathroom was nice but the shower had a serious leak, which meant that half the towels were used up drying the floor.

When we came back the next day at 5pm, our room had not been serviced, however it had once we came back from dinner. There seems to be a fundamental problem with the organisation of the hotel's housekeeping as every day our room wasn't serviced until very late in the afternoon, however on our last morning as we were getting ready to check out, the maid arrived at 7.30am!

Breakfast was included in our room rate and was fine, but i wouldn't have paid an additional £21 for it. Also, one morning there was a mouse running around in the dining room (we think it came in from an open outside door as opposed to from the kitchen) which wasn't very pleasant.

The location of the hotel is brilliant, we walked to all the main attractions and never needed to use the tube. However, being on a low floor meant that it was very noisy in the evenings and there were gaps around the window frames which let in a draft along with the noise.

This hotel is nice but it is definitely not a 5*, there was considerable construction work on the lower ground floor which was dangerous to pass when using the restrooms, and I heard several people complain about this who were all ignored with a shrug from the reception staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family