“what a beautiful hotel in aperfect location”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #165 of 1,063 Hotels in London
north east
“what a beautiful hotel in aperfect location”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

the hotel is set in a fantastic location which made us book this hotel! check in
was very friendly and informative! upon entrance to the junior suite we were amazed by the large window as well as the room and view over Leicester square. we went for a cocktail outside and sadly had to wait for a while before being served and the staff seemed disorganised and unsure who was serving who, eventually we were served and it was well worth waiting for, even the waitress asked to take a picture for us. we only asked for 2 things whilst there, a champagne bucket with ice which came quick. the only disappointing thing was room was set up with 2 of everything and there an amazing deal to stay but would be reluctant to pay full price

• Stayed August 2013
Simon W, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive and engaging review! I am so pleased you chose to stay in one of our amazing Junior Suites. The suites at the hotel are truly beautiful and the huge arch windows on the first floor offer a unique experience of Leicester Square as you are able to take-in the thrill and buzz of the square within the luxurious surroundings of our stunning rooms.

We hope you choose to stay at the Hampshire hotel again in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your arrival so that we may be able to organise those extra touches for you.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A beer or soft drink is about £4.50, the coffee and bar area (same place as where Afternoon Tea is served) very comfortable place and quiet to sit inside or outside (summer). This is quite a pleasant place to enjoy a chat with friends right at Leicester Square.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are so pleased you enjoyed our bar area at the Hampshire Hotel. We couldn’t agree more that our outside terrace is perfect for catching up with friends during the summer whilst our inside offers a cosier feel on those cooler summer nights.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant soon and hope you have the chance to taste some of the delicious delights our new restaurant Scoff & Banter has to offer.

Berkshire, UK.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were attending a friend's 50th birthday party in Leicester square and chose this hotel for its convenient stumbling distance. The overall experience was very good and I have to say we both found all members of staff polite and helpful at all times and they gave the impression they genuinely wanted you to have a comfortable stay. We only stayed one night but did pay for the breakfast the following morning which was freshly cooked and had a wide selection. On the downside we felt that the room was a little tired in places and we had a shower screen that leaked water all over the floor though I did manage a temporary fix myself; the room was very clean however and quiet despite facing Leicester Square. The lifts are very slow when arriving at different floors and this sometimes caused a fair bit of congestion so we took the stairs (no bad thing really). I would however stay here again as it is a fine hotel with lovely staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Simon W, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a joy to read your feedback and great to know that all our efforts contributed to fulfil your needs and expectations during your stay. The team and I take great pride in looking after our guests and it is a pleasure to learn that it has provided such a memorable and enjoyable stay.

I am sorry to learn of the problems you experienced with your shower and we will be sure to look into this immediately so that it is not a continued problem for any of our future guests. However I am pleased that you found our rooms clean and quiet; we take great pleasure in being able to provide a relaxing haven amongst the lively atmosphere of the Leicester Square.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon so that we may once again provide an enjoyable and memorable stay.

Burghead
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Fab location in the heart of theatre land, great views over Leicester Square from our room which was a lovely spacious suite, scrummy breakfasts and yummy cocktails, staff were lovely and very helpful, kids loved it too, defo be back next year! X

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is such a pleasure to read such great feedback like this and we thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much and we cannot wait to welcome you back to the hotel next year.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked this hotel for champagne afternoon tea and a one night stay in June as an anniversary celebration. On booking I was very excited, but then as the day approached I was less and less enthusiastic having read recent reviews.
My first contact with the hotel was not so good as I was treated quite unhelpfully and dismissively by a member of the restaurant staff over the phone, however this was dealt with swiftly by the general manager in response to an email I sent and the request for information on ingredients used in the afternoon tea was responded to thoroughly.
On the day of our visit we were given a choice of tables for afternoon tea and we were very impressed with the decor in the area where we sat -everything was beautifully decorated in luxurious fabrics and wood without being over-the-top. The service was very friendly and we were offered a choice of teas and a choice of champagne -they also had decaffeinated tea, which was served in a teapot for two and topped up without request about half an hour into our visit. The champagne was crisp and ice-cold as you would expect and the cakes, and sandwiches in particular, were delicious. We had a really lovely couple of hours enjoying our afternoon tea.
Our room for the night was ready when we had finished downstairs and although it was not enormous, it was perfectly adequate for a couple staying for a night, and it looked out on to Leicester Square. The bed was comfy, the pillows were amazingly comfortable, and we very much liked the style of the bathroom -certainly not new, but classic and classy. Bath robes were provided, although they had only put one in our wardrobe despite there being two of us. Reception were apologetic, but did need a second reminder later that night in order to get it replaced.
A nice touch on arrival was a plate of chocolate-dipped strawberries in our room, although the card wishing me a happy birthday was more funny than relevant as we were in fact celebrating our anniversary!
The only major complaint I would have regarding the room was that we had an adjoining door to the next room (locked, obviously) but this meant that we could hear absolutely everything that went on next door and presumably they could hear us too. They were not particularly loud, fortunately, but even speaking at a normal level was clearly audible and it was like they were in the same room as there was no sound insulation to stop sound travelling over and under the connecting door.
Aside from that, and the other minor hiccups mentioned, we were pleased with our stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire. Afternoon tea was great and over all staying in Leicester Square was a real treat for us which we will remember fondly.

Room Tip: Beware of adjoining doors as sound insulation was non-existent. Flag pole creaking and flag flappin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would firstly like to start by wishing you congratulations on your wedding anniversary! I am so sorry for the incorrect blessings; I think a slight hiccup in communications may account for this. I am pleased however that this did not taint the taste of our delicious chocolate strawberries.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at the Hampshire hotel and I am so pleased to learn that for the most part you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us. I thank you for your additional feedback and I will certainly be taking this on board and sharing your comments with the relevant heads of departments.

It is such a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our afternoon tea so much and I have personally passed on your kind compliments to the chef and the restaurant team.

The team and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon. If you require any assistance with any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here on my birthday during late July 2013. The hotels location was fantastic right in the heart of Leicester square and many of London's top shops, bars, restaurants and theatres are all available to reach by foot.

Once entering the hotel there is a small reception and lobby area that does not give the feel of a 5* hotel. Once checked in we arrived in our room to find a very small room that we felt was so dated. I am 6ft 4 and when i lay down i was hanging off the bed. (not something i've had problems with 5* hotels before). TV did not work and was covered in dust and there was a very poor view from the window. I complained and was allocated a smoking room only which obviously stunk of smoke not appealing for a non smoker. Room was slightly bigger as was the bed. However, I still felt like this was not glamorous at all and the stench of smoke and old carpets did not help. I asked if any suites were available but they were not as they are highly sought after apparently.

In essence this hotel was expensive and did not give me any kind of service or feel of luxury, I was not able to meet guests arriving for my birthday who wanted to have some drinks inside due to the lack of room space. And after inquiring about room service at around 2am i was greeted by a rude man who only said "i give you sandwich", hardly 5* service again. I feel this hotel was the worst part of my birthday experience and i would look into many of the other hotels available in leicester square where some of my friends stayed and they were quite remarkable.

Room Tip: The suites did look very impressive but only if you are willing to pay the money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for providing us with such invaluable feedback. I am extremely disappointed to learn your stay was not of the standard one would expect from the Hampshire Hotel and I would like to apologise for the inconveniences you experienced. I was deeply concerned to read your comments as this is certainly not reflective of the service we strive to provide. Please be assured I will be following up on all the points you have raised with the relevant heads of departments and I thank you for bringing these to my attention.

I sincerely hope that you re-consider choosing to stay with us in the future. Should you decide to stay with us again please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist in choosing a room that is right for you and tailored to your preferences. Our guests' comfort and enjoyment is of the utmost importance to the team and I and we would really like the opportunity for you to experience the hotel as one should.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

portsmouth
Reviewed July 27, 2013

After reading the latest review's i am actually starting to wonder if certain people actually stayed at this hotel? We could not fault this hotel at all, We stayed here for my birthday, July 26th and from check in everything was perfect, The room was stunning and presented how a 5 star should be, Very clean & Modern with a lovely view looking over Leicester .

The bar was fully stocked with a good selection of drinks & snacks. There was a free complimentary bottle of water along with a bottle of blubbery for my birthday, Nice touch.

The bed was big & comfy and after visiting a west end musical we come back to find our bed had been turned ready for bed.

I simply can not fault this hotel, Stunning modern and crisp clean, The staff couldn't do enough for us and I want to thank them for making my Birthday special .

The only bad points were the guests next door coming in at 4am making lots of noise with music until the early hours ( I should have complained but didn't want to bother staff). Also the maid started Hoovering the room next door at 8am which was slightly annoying as we wanted a nice lay in but this didn't ruin our stay.

We will return

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room over looking the square.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon W, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Wow, it is such a pleasure to read such an excellent review! Thank you for providing us with such great feedback and for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor. It is always so nice to hear when a guest has enjoyed their stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the entire team. We were delighted to have learnt you had chosen the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel to celebrate such a special occasion and it was our pleasure to look after you whilst you were with us.

I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Should you require any assistance with any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me.