“Not 5 star” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #137 of 1,089 Hotels in London
New Braunfels, Texas
“Not 5 star”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked this on one of those lastminute secret hotel deals for 150gbp. I have stayed in several lovely 5 star hotels in London this way but this was the worst. Great location but the room was shabby and there was nothing luxurious about it. No power socket by the bed and only 1 on the desk.

The room just had the feel of a cheap hotel. Try the May Fair of the Intercontinental if you want 5*

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EvanPark3r
Simon W, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you kindly for staying at the Hampshire Hotel of late, The team and I are very grateful for your feedback.

I have to agree with you regarding our location. It is second to none!

The Hampshire Hotel has a long history attached to it, the building originally housed the much acclaimed Royal Dental Hospital many years ago. Whilst many improvements have been made over those years some of the layout of the building has remained the same which goes some way in explaining why some bedrooms are larger than others.

Whilst design is a very subjective issue, I am pleased to announce that we have been given the green light to fully renovate our bedrooms and bathrooms at the beginning of the new year.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do sincerely hope that we will have the oppportunity to serve you again in the future.

Simon Wong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stay at this establishment a reasonable amount during the year for work reason, i run forums at this hotel quarterly. I often take the Penthouse (conference room) to run my roundtables and the views of London are spectacular, and with a day delegate rate very similar to other hotels in london, without the quality and elegance of this hotel it is well worth the money. My room was over looking Leicester Sq which was wonderful, and with Capital FM radio in the square several celebrities were coming and going, which made the stay a bit more special. The room was excellent, nicely appointed and suprisingly quiet. The food was excellent be it brealkfast, lunch or dinner with great service, even though it can be pricey and there are so many great places to eat in the West End. All in all a great venue and hotel...

Room Tip: Overlooking Leicester Square is excellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to read that we continue to execute service delivery with a bar of excellence and create an experience for our guests whilst in our hospitality. I have shared your review with my team and we are extremely delighted.

At Radisson BLU Edwardian Hotels, our motto is to make people feel special with a genuine "Yes I Can" attitude. I'm extremely proud that we have ticked all the boxes.

The comments we receive from our customers are the main reason why we come to work on a day to day basis. You have just made our day just that much brighter.

Love the headline note!

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback and I hope to see you in the near future.

Darlington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Right on Leicester Square between the Odeon Cinemas and opposite the theatre ticket office. 5 minutes from Chinatown. For a London hotel the room was a good size and comfortable. We didn't eat there but there are a ton of restaurants close by. The only quibble I have is that on checking in we were offered a free Times (or Independent, I can't remember which) only to get a Daily Mail delivered which they then tried to charge me for - but they took it off the bill when I complained.
We used our Radisson points - we probably wouldn't have paid for it with money as there is another Radisson close by which is a bit cheaper, though with smaller rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thanks so much for staying at the Radisson BLU Edwardian, Hampshire Hotel.

I am really pleased to have just read your review and delighted to see that overall you had a good stay with us.

Indeed our location is much talked about, an amazing base to explore as a tourist but equally an ideal location for Whitehall, The Strand and of course Haymarket and Pall Mall all of which are key business districts surrounding the Hotel. Theatre is a big draw here in the West End and from the Hampshire it is possible to walk to just about any of the big ticket shows and stroll back late in the evening!

Once again, thank you for staying and we hope to see you very soon. Please feel free to contact me at any stage as I would be delighted to assist you with your future reservation plans should you be returning to town as we have very favourable rates at present.

Best Wishes.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Whenever we are in London and looking for a little respite from the hustle and bustle we pop into the Hampshire Bar for a couple of drinks or afternoon tea. When all the other bars in Leicester Square are mobbed and you cant get anywhere to sit and rest. The Hampshire bar is an Oasis of calm.Polite and courteous staff. Always makes a visit to London that little bit more special.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank abers60
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding our Restaurant and Bar at the Radisson Blu Hampshire Hotel.

The bar hardly gets a mention on this site so I'm extremely pleased you have started the ball rolling.

From the 10th May 2013, we will rolling out a new menu, please do come along and see what you think.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and hope to see you real soon.

Best regards

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here around a year ago, and we were so impressed that we never thought about staying anywhere else for a return visit to London - it was not cheap, but we had such a great time last time that we wanted to do it again. Thankfully, the experience this time was as good, if not better.

We (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed for three nights. The room was large enough that we didn't feel cramped. Unlike some hotels that offer 'family rooms' where the kids have to share a double bed or sofa, thisntime around our kids had their own beds, which was nice. The bathroom was large too - in fact, larger than our bathroom at home! The styling of the rooms is perhaps a little dated, but it is all perfectly functional and suits the general decor of the hotel. Everything worked as it should including, importantly, the free wifi (a must these days - we won't stay anywhere that doesn't offer it). Although it is not the world's fastest connection, my kids had no trouble watching YouTube videos and otherwise surfing the net. Given the location, we mostly ate out so I cannot comment on the dining, but did have room service one evening which was fine (both in terms of taste and timeliness). But when staying here there is so much choice right on your doorstep that it should not be a big factor in choosing to stay at this hotel. The staff we encountered were efficient and effective - there was nothing special, but certainly nothing to complain about.

It surprises me that some other reviews complain of noise. One reason we like this hotel is that we have found it very quiet. My wife is a light sleeper and I feared she would find the location too noisy, but on both occasions she has been amazed about how quiet it is - even when you look out your window over Leicester Square and see thousands of people (and we were staying one evening when a new movie was premiering at a cinema in Leicester Square, with an appearance by the stars), we have never failed to get a good night's sleep.

We will happily come back again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel on your recent stay in London.

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in London.

It is even more pleasing when you have acknowledged our service efforts as we have been working very hard as a team to ensure we personalise every stay to every guest.

I would like to thank you for this wonderful feedback and your continuous custom. I'm very pleased we could play a part in making your trip special once again as well as keeping the children entertained with our free wifi!

Hope to welcome you back to the Hampshire Hotel in the very near future.

Miami Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

My experience : I am a Radisson "Frequent Customer" Club Carlson member. I had several stays at the Hampshire. I tried to value their great location to compensate their service problems. The more I stayed, the worst it got. I will avoid it in the future. There are a lot of hotels (at all choices of categories and prices) at that same location.

Bureaucratic Front Office :

-Aggressive and mechanical check in procedure
-If you make a prepaid reservation, you have to show the booking credit card. No luck to me it took me once 10mn to get accepted the context that I book with a card whose expiration date had expired at check in and that the following one was as good.
-Un-managed billing system (he took me 20mn to check out on a prepaid reservation along with some Club Carlson drink credits (£15 per day). The bill was printed 5 times to be reduced by steps from £1.100 to £50)
-Badly trained reception employees
-Manager refuses to accept any escalated issue
-Front desk refuses to print a boarding pass, you have to wait in line to access the Concierge

Weak Room amenities and service :

-Erratic hours
-Maids open the door without knocking even with the read light
-Very low resolution TV system
-Noisy corridor. You hear anybody going and talking thru
-Random delivery of newspaper (one day Times, next day none, next day Telegraph, ...)
-No solid soap, just liquid soap

Restaurant / Bar :

-Unpersonalized setting
-Very young staff, no supervisor on duty

Finally top management does not answer their own email-proposed feedback unless you post on Tripadvisor (2 weeks later)

AVOID IT ...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Neighbour_Miami_Bch
Dear Guest

Further to your recent stay at the Radisson BLU Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete via Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience encountered during your stay with us.

I believe our service delivery and attitude is fundamentally the most important aspect affecting a hotel stay and I am extremely disappointed with our lacklustre performance. Please rest assure that under no circumstances will this sub standard service be tolerated and I have spoken to my team at length to ensure great service is afforded at all times, every time.

As you have probably read on previous posts on this website, we generally have very positive comments regarding our service levels and my team. I am so sorry we let you and ourselves down on this occasion. I have also emailed you personally.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hampshire in person at some point in the future for you to restore your faith in the hotel. I am contactable via the Hotel should you wish to discuss your experience in more detail.

Kent, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Four of us stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire on Thurs 11 April for one night. We booked the hotel through Last Minute as a Secret Hotel but I had sussed out that it was this hotel. The reception bar etc have all been refurbished to a nice standard and the rooms we had were both good sizes. The rooms could do with a revamp now but were perfectly adequate with tea/coffee facilities, a mini bar etc. The bathroom whilst compact was clean and had nice toiletries in large hand pump bottles. The bed was quite comfortable even though the mattress wasn't that thick. Probably the best thing about the hotel is it's location right on Leicester Square so it is easy to walk to China Town, Soho, Covent Garden, the River Thames etc. The consierge was very helpful and all the staff were lovely. Yes I would stay there again but it is not 5* luxury but as we only paid £165 is was pretty good value for money. With so many good cafes around it is better value to eat out of the hotel for breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Simon W, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review on Tripadvisor.