“Located at the heart”

Ranked #163 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Located at the heart”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

You cannot fault the location, close to Trafalgar Square and on Leicester Square where you have 3 casinos, cinemas, restaurants and close to the underground (metro). The staff are helpful and polite , the rooms are good but the decor is a little dated.Brown and beige is very 1980's.

The beds are a little hard, a matress on a wood board. Nespresso coffee machine and a small for the size of room B&O TV.

The breakfast room is light and the service good. Good selection of free newspapers. They could make a little more effort with the cold table but all in all satisfactory. Would have liked to have seen a toast machine and really fresh croissants.

Nice modern bar. Would sty here agin if I needed to be in this area or where the tube could take me.

Room Tip: If you need a really quiet room then it will depend when you are in London. November is quiet in Lei...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Simon W, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Warm wishes from the Radisson BLU Edwardian, Hampshire team and thank you kindly for your feedback.

I am really pleased to have just read your review and delighted you chose to stay with us. Thanks for your kind comments about the team here and also the breakfast buffet, really appreciated. Do always keep an eye on our website for special promotions and if I may remind you as well about our excellent advance purchase deal which can save you a significant 20% !

We hope to see you returning to London soon, please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans.

Warm Regards

Simon Wong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Penang
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed for 8 days in August with my extended family of 7; ages ranging from 6 to 73. The location was great, literally a stone's throw away from Chinatown and two streets away from Soho. Around the corner is the National Portrait Gallery and Trafalgar Square. Theatres, tube stations, shopping and great restaurants are a short walk away.
There was something for everyone in my family at Leicester Square including a giant M&M shop for the kids and casinos for my mother. The carpets in the rooms look a bit tired but the toiletries smelt and felt luxe. But the best feature about the hotel is its concierge service. What pampering! Each time we came out of the lift in the morning we were asked if we need a taxi to be called, our tickets to Lion King were booked a week ahead, our airport transfers were organised painlessly and smoothly. When we ventured out on foot, we were given idiot-proof directions.
Don't go for the package with breakfast as you may wish to try the many lovely cafes and restaurants nearby serving good breakfasts. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Wow! Thank you for posting your wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to read that we continue to execute service delivery with a bar of excellence and create an experience for our guests whilst in our hospitality. I have shared your review with my team and we are extremely delighted.

At Radisson BLU Edwardian Hotels, our motto is to make people feel special with a genuine "Yes I Can" attitude. I'm extremely proud that we have ticked all the boxes.

The comments we receive from our customers are the main reason why we come to work on a day to day basis. You have just made our day just that much brighter.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback and your continued loyalty to the Radisson BLU Edwardian Hampshire Hotel.

Fitzroy
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Arriving early evening after 24 hours on a plane we dragged our bags through hoards of revellers to be greeted by a very friendly receptionist. It seemed to take quite a lot of time to go through the checkin procedure but we eventually got to our very small room at the back of the hotel. I knew the room would be small so that wasn't a problem and the bed was comfortable. The window faced onto the building next door but was quiet. As usual, there was no information on how to use the TV/entertainment system and no paper was delivered in the mroning even though they said they would do this. The door staff we encountered were absolutely delightful. Cheerful and helpful. We chose not to pay the exorbitant fee for the hotel breakfast and went instead to Flat White Cafe which was about a 15minute walk away in SOHO and was great. The hotel charged us 20 pounds to make one short phone call to a friend in London. It is a good location for all sorts of London attractions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Further to your recent stay at the Radisson BLU Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete via Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience encountered during your stay with us.

Please rest assured that I have communicated your comments, like all comments on Tripadvisor, with my team to ensure we eradicate issues more effectively and efficiently from here onwards.

On a positive note, we will be shortly introducing new smart televisions in all rooms.

Thank you again for your feedback and I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to have you back with us in the future.

Our Warmest wishes from the Hampshire and Leicester Square Hotels.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I requested a quiet room on my booking as I'm a very light sleeper. I repeated the request at check-in so the assistant gave it some thought, and then gave me 205 - at the back of the hotel. Given that the front looks onto Leicester Square that might seem fair enough - but the back clearly looks onto the backs of kitchens or similar. So it was noisy until around 1130 then from 6 am onwards there was regular thudding, crashing and occasional laugh and chat from downstairs. I checked and discovered that the secondary glazing in the room was broken and a whole panel was missing (this also made the half of the room near the window very cold). It might not have been silent anyhow, but this cannot have helped the noise problem. Shame - I've found Radisson to be a very reliable hotel chain generally, but this, and the tired state of the bathroom suggest that they're cynically milking the location of this place without investing enough in it.

Room Tip: See review - kitchen yard or similar at the back so avoid if you like to sleep.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank svendb
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Radisson BLU Edwardian Hampshire Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Naturally, I am extremely disappointed and apologetic for the experience encountered during your recent stay with us.

Being located in such a high volume area such as Leicester does have it's set of challenges which include rooms that facing onto the rear of the building. Unfortunately, London being so busy, all rooms around the building had to be utilised.

You have probably read other reviews on this site on the many positive comments we receive on my team and service and it is disappointing to hear that we have let ourselves down.

That said, it does pain me that our customers feel disappointed in our hospitality as we have worked tremendously hard to ensure very guest stay is a memorable one.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel should you wish to discuss this in more detail.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I do sincerely hope we have the opportunity to invite back in the future.

Kind regards

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Overall, the hotel provided an excellent experience. My wife and I stayed there for 8 nights. We might have to get a second mortgage to pay the hotel bill but you only live once right?! The location is ideal for seeing the sights. We walked to Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Churchill War Rooms, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden and much more. The Leicester Square tube stop is right around the corner so everything else is just a train ride away. Chinatown is also right there close to Leicester Square. Great restaurants all around the hotel. Rafael, the concierge, setup an early morning taxi (0430) to St. Pancras for us to catch a train to Paris for a day. The concierge staff is very accomodating and can answer any travel questions, make reservations, or get theater tickets. Now for the room. We stayed in a deluxe room with a king bed. We were on the second floor and had a view of the square and the Odeon Theater. This provided great people watching opportunities while we just relaxed between outings. The room was a little snug but has everything we needed. The bathroom is a little tight as well but gets the job done. Instead of a shower curtain, you get this half glass swinging shower door that doesn't really work at keeping water in the shower. You end up with a slippery tile floor. Also, the ventilation system picked up smells from either the hotel kitchen or the attached restaurant's kitchen. Some quite unpleasant smoke smells. The smoke alarm even went off a couple times for a few seconds. It was tolerable but in hindsight we probably should have asked for another room. The breakfast is quite good but expensive at 23 pounds each. The location and concierge is the biggest thing going for the hotel in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a view of the square. Great people watching from the room when you're taking...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jimmyTheGreek_10
Dear Guest,

Warm wishes from the Radisson BLU Edwardian, Hampshire team.

The location of the Hotel is truly exciting to say the least, at the very heart of London and within minutes of Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Westminster and of course all of London's most talked about shopping streets, never a dull moment.

Knowing that price is a very subjective issue, we do regularly check our room rates against other comparable Five star properties to ensure that we reflect the right level of tariff and we are considerably favourable in current high demands for London.

Thank you for your comments regarding our concierge team.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you in the near future.

Regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Unfortunately our usual Hotel in London the Strand Palace was fully booked so we booked the Hampshire at triple the price through late rooms.com expecting the very best. On arrival the staff were very welcoming. However it went downhill from there. Unfortunately our booking at £400 plus for the night didn't include breakfast as I expected so we were offered a smoking room - that would be fully cleansed in exchange for the inclusion of breakfast! Never ever fall for this offer _ the room had a revolting smoke smell but not just the room but the whole floor. It was a large spacious room on the 6th floor but the shower didn't drain and even the wardrobe had a handle missing - so annoying! We didn't have the turn service offered, the morning paper didn't arrive and the breakfast certainly wasn't worth the exchange for smoke!!! Placed on a squashed table - requests had to be asked for at least three times and to add insult to injury we just missed the 11 am book out because of the delay and poor service at breakfast we were contacted twice as we rushed ti leave!! So not 5 star and so lacking the wow factor. However we must say the doorman and the concierge were excellent. And the location was superb! We won't be back though!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie T
Dear Guest

I believe our service delivery and attitude is fundamentally the most important aspect affecting a hotel stay and I am extremely disappointed with our lacklustre performance. Please rest assure that under no circumstances will this sub standard service be tolerated and I have spoken to my team at length today to ensure great service is afforded at all times, every time.

As you have probably read on previous posts on this website, we generally have very positive comments regarding our service levels and my team. I am so sorry we let you and ourselves down on this occasion.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hampshire in person at some point in the future for you to restore your faith in the hotel. I am contactable via the Hotel should you wish to discuss your experience in more detail.

Caterham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I work in Business Travel for American Express so know and sell the Radisson brand frequently. When booking afternoon tea I decided on this hotel because not only was it in a fantastic location for exploring but the price was very reasonable.

I booked this as a birthday treat for my mum through the Afternoon tea website. There was the 2 of us and my 2year old daughter so I had requested a high chair. This was not acknowledged and when I asked for a high chair it was never brought over. First impressions of the hotel was that it was a lovely Edwardian hotel in a great location and with friendly staff. We were seated right away and asked if we wanted Breakfast tea. When I asked what the options were the lady said there were different options and to let her know what I wanted. (when I have had afternoon tea previously I have been given a tea menu or at least advised what teas are available) Myself and my mum decided we would just stick with the Breakfast tea. After about 15 minutes we finally recieved our tea. The service didnt get any better after that. When the sandwiches turned up the bread was slightly stale which was very disappointing. We also had no cutlery for the jellys, cakes and tarts. We kept asking the staff for this but they never brought it over so in the end we just took it off another table. The jellies, cakes and tarts were very nice (although the lemo sponge cake was a bit stale) but the scoes were a bit hard which made me think they were not freshly made.

Even though there was lots of staff on duty the service was appalling. The bar area was not very busy so this was not the reason.

Although we had a nice afternoon I will not book this again and will not be recommending this to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I am sorry and disappointed to hear that your experience was not to your full satisfaction from our normal high standards at the Radisson BLU Hampshire Hotel.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea offering, I am disheartened in the way we executed our service.

Here at Hampshire we receive many positive comments on my Food & Beverage team and their service so it disappointing to hear that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

Only with client feedback that we can continuously improve our service delivery at the Radisson BLU Edwardian Hampshire Hotel and I duly appreciate your comments to assist my team in creating a memorable experience for our guests.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hampshire in person at some point in the future for you to restore your faith in our service.