“Basic, but good staff (and useful sofa bed)”

Novotel London Waterloo
Ranked #318 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Basic, but good staff (and useful sofa bed)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

As I approached the hotel in my taxi I thought "Hmmm, not the best area!". If you forget the slightly dodgy housing estate to the east of the train tracks, the view from the hotel is actually pretty nice. My room had a view of Lambeth Palace, Westminster and the London Eye. Walking up to Waterloo on the West side of the park felt much safer.

I never understand why hotel rooms would, on purpose, put artex or textured paint on the walls. Novotel is guilty of this crime here... plain white paint would do fine. Apart from this there were no decor disasters. The Bathroom was split into WC and Bath/Sink, and the WC was a very tight squeeze.

The sofa bed in the room was useful, and great if you are travelling in a group. I had a friend stay at the room one night so I just asked them to make up the sofa bed on our way out that evening.

The restaurant was pretty good. I liked the single diner tables with TV and headphones. Reminded me of a business class airline seat. Distracted me from the fact I was eating alone, though they really need more TV channels on there!

I'm not sure I'd rush back, but for the price and level of comfort it's a pretty good hotel choice near Waterloo.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking Lambeth Road for a view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Bernard Panisse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Reception staff were warm and welcoming and check-in was easy.

The room I was given was on the first floor and had no view worth mentioning, but it was clean, quiet, spacious and the bed was firm and comfortable.

If I'm hunting for possible areas of improvement, the aircon was making minimal difference, even at maximum output and lowest temperature setting. This was ok at the start of April, but I'd have complained if it was warmer outside.
You need to ask for access to the hammam, steam room and sauna, which doesn't cost any extra, but I didn't get the chance to try them.

Worth looking at this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thornaby On Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Great hotel, friendly staff, stayed in one of the new generation executive rooms, very modern, great bed and a quiet night. Would recommend. Hotel is just 5 minutes walk from Westminster bridge with excellent rail and bus links into the city centre making it an ideal location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, they will apreciate it.
Pleased to hear that the confort of our Next Generation bedroom has provided you with a good night sleep.

Downers Grove, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed here for one night (March 21, 2014) and was able to secure a great rate on Hotwire of $95 / night. It is a bit far from any Tube stop (about 1 mile walk from Waterloo, about 15 minute walk from Lambeth) but a great location for walking to Parliament / Big Ben as a tourist. The front desk staff was quite friendly and even nice when I needed a last minute second room in the middle of the night.

Overall, it is a solid 4 star hotel in a decent location and if you can secure a good price, can be a steal for London.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are much larger than the standard rooms and could be worth it for those needing more...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Lyon, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

A great hotel but the front desk staff and management certainly need more training. They were not impressive at all. Maybe they should move the restaurant staff to the front desk as they were excellent and attentive. Let me guess.......I will get a response from management which will probably start by saying "Thank you for bringing this to our attention........." 15 pounds per day for internet access; a little excessive by any standards. The Spa is going to phone when to confirm my appointment?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TroyVP
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
I thank you for your comments and your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that the service you received in reception were not to our usual standards. Please rest assured that the points you made were addressed.
I am pleased to read that the Restaurant team has met your expectations in terms of level of service.
I would like to inform you that we offering free WIFI at the hotel and that the hotel don't have SPA facilty just Hamman and Sauna.

Once again thank you for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is my second stay at the Novotel Waterloo. It was for a critical meeting for a critical €10Million research venture meeting. The locatiion is perfect for business meetings with the UK government in Westminster. The service is outstanding. The rooms are perfect. In a hurry I left my I-Pod behind in the room. It was very important as it has recordings of my son's graduation performance for his masters degree fro a top UK conservatoire. The staff found the I-pod and returned it to me within a day. Outstanding! I cannot thank the hotel and its staff enough
Prof Terry Wilkins

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for pointing out your very satisfactory stay at Novotel London Waterlooo in your positive feedback. I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again.

Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

My experience of this hotel was mixed. The hotel is a very decent and well-appointed hotel, in a decent location for visitors to central London. On arrival I was told I had been upgraded to an executive room, which was good news, and my room was fine.

There is a decent gym, which I used.

The problem was that after a night out at a formal dinner, and having left a "do not disturb" sign outside my room, I was disturbed and woken by two chambermaids having a fairly loud conversation about 10 yards from my room, before 8am on a Saturday morning. It wasn't just a brief one-it went on for more than five minutes and after trying to sleep through it I eventually got out of bed, poked my head out and asked them why they thought there was no one sleeping nearby, at which point they apologised and disappeared. So the goodwill I felt towards the hotel for being upgraded disappeared.
Breakfast was the standard Novotel experience. As ever, I do not understand how they do whatever they do to the bacon served to make it as unappetising and chewy as it consistently is in every Novotel I've been to in this country. Maybe the French just can't get the hand of sourcing and cooking decent bacon. One thing here which I haven't seen before is being served a single cup of coffee, rather than a jug/flask with several cups in it.

It was ok overall, but someone needs to speak to the chambermaids about letting customers sleep.

Incidentally, an observation on hotel economics. I paid £127 including breakfast for my room on a Friday night in London. My wife stayed in the Cardiff Novotel on that night and the Saturday and paid £125 and £159 per night. I know London prices are cheaper (I would say less unreasonable) at weekends, but what is going on with Cardiff prices? Far too high-it isn't London but it's behaving as though it can justify London prices and I am certainly reviewing whether I can continue supporting the Cardiff Novotel at those prices.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank 227957
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience following your stay with us.
I am grateful for your extensive comments and we will look into the different subjects you have been referring to. I can already reassure you that your feedback will be very helpful to us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your future stay in London.
Kind regards