“4 star hotel advertised it had steam room and sauna, I foolishly assumed this implied they were functional”

Novotel London Waterloo
Ranked #325 of 1,064 Hotels in London
atlanta
Reviewed December 14, 2013

But after several requests to mgmt to have maintenance look at the steam room and sauna which were not working, no results, no follow-up, nada. Location was a touch out of the road for central london activities, 15 minute walk to Lambeth North tub station and then tubing off to see various sites. When the location is working against you, I expect mgmt would work hard to make sure advertised amenities are working.

Room Tip: Don't pay advertised price of 300 pounds, goes a lot cheaper through priceline or other sites.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidJ99989
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience following your stay with us.
I am grateful for your extensive comments and we will look into the different subjects you have been referring to.
I can already reassure you that your feedback will be very helpful to us.
Bernard Panisse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

I have reviewed this place before. I have stayed here several times over the last few months. Why do I keep coming back? 1. Great staff; friendly, helpful, pleasant. 2. Good food, easy and quality bar meals, good restaurant. 3. Rooms. Functional, clean, remind me of France. 4. Secure underground car park. 5. 1 minute to the Thames, 10 minute walk across the river to the Commons. 6. Gym. 7. Free wifi. 8. View of Lambeth Palace from the rooms. 9. They let me leave my car there whilst at meetings... Any irritating points? Just one. The breakfast tables for solo guests close to the breakfast bar are just too close, and too public. Novotel, sort it out.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CotswoldsSpotter
Thank you very much for your kind review and for this excellent 5* rating, left on Tripadvisor following your stay in our property.
What a great pleasure to read that you were fully satisfied by our property, enjoying the room and our confortable bed . I am also very happy that our staff made all the difference by being so were very friendly and extremely helpful.
I took note of your comment regarding the table in the restaurant.
It is a real pleasure to look after you again and again and we will be very pleased to welcome you back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your future trip in London.
Washington DC
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I guess it all depends on what you pay for this hotel - but priceline categorizes this as a 4* which is silly. As a 3*, its a great choice, and the first thing to recommend it is its staff. We were checked in by a very professional and helpful Hungarian gentleman, and the rest of the staff was also very nice. The second big bonus was the great soundproofing between rooms. We had two rooms next to each other and could not hear a thing. The rest of the hotel is a typical average 3 star - rooms are quite boring, nothing to remember- furniture is cheap and a little dinged up, the bedding is average, at best, but comfortable enough. Bathrooms are quite well laid out and there is a separate toilet. Its just not very memorable, but nothing is a problem either. The hotel releases rooms on priceline at very low prices (for London) and this makes it a great deal if you can get rooms last minute as we did. We found it a comfortable choice, for a short stay, although I did not find the location appealing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your kind review and for choosing Novotel London Waterloo when visiting London. I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
durham
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay in the Novotel Waterloo hotel recently and was pleasantly supprised by the quality and standard.

While the price is high for a room (£200+ per night) for the room I stayed in, the cost was comparable to others in the area.

The standard of service was good and the staff were always helpfull and willing to assist with your needs.

The rooms are clear and well presented with everything you could need for your stay. Unlike most hotels I have stayed in in the capital this one was very quiet, a bonus when you are trying to sleep. No train, traffic or other guest noise was a huge relief.

The hotel is within sight of the houses of parliment and the london eye so if you are open to sight seeing then you are well catered for.

Speaking of catering............ when it comes to the breakfast options,
If you can manage to wait until you leave before eating it would be good for you wallet.
£16 for continental style or £19 for cooked.

I got one small bowl of porridge and a cup of tea (£16) my colleague opted for the cooked meal.
bacon, sausage, egg, beans, mushroom, potato rosti, coffee. (£19)
the bacon and sausage were cold and the egg was undercooked.

This was the only bilp or a otherwise enjoyable stay.

I would recommend staying here if you have hte means to do so, just eat elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I would like to confirm that we have taken note of your comments on the breakfast and will address it accordingly.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was my first time in London and I was very impressed by this hotel. The hotel is very nice, and the staff was very helpful and cordial. Room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Location was great. From the hotel you have easy access to the tube, or walk to major attractions like Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and so on. Free WiFi and breakfast. Breakfast was excellent. Taking a cab from Heathrow to the hotel is expensive (85 pounds, one way), so you may want to consider the tube. Only drawback is that there were not many restaurants in the vicinity, but overall I am very satisfied with my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Osdlm
I am pleased to hear that you found the location of the hotel convinient and that our team was welcoming. I am pleased to hear that you would recomend our hotel. We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
liguria
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time in Southbank and I liked a lot the atmosphere. Most probably the good impression is due to this nice hotel too. Well located closed to Lambeth Tube Station, Victoria Station, Imperial War Museum, London Eye, Houses of Parliament and so on. The common areas are well decorated and kept, rooms are nice and clean, maybe a bit small but it's true we were in four in the room (with our kids). The personell is kind and helpful. The hotel offers free wi-fi and pc+printer in the hall for the online checkin. The only this I wasn't impressed is the breakfast. In fact, we preferred to go to the Corner Cafe, just few steps away from the hotel, or to one of the Pain Quotidien around London.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel London Waterloo.
I am pleased to hear that the location of our hotel was ideal for your visit to the main London touristic attractions.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

To start with this hotel is not in Waterloo, I think whoever named it must be an Abba fan or something. It's a nice enough hotel but just lacks the attention to detail that makes it worthy of 4* (If you ever stay in a 4* in America you'll notice a huge difference in quality). Unfortunately we just accept substandard in this country...I'd rate this as 3.5*. I was in room 322, marks all over the carpet and the carpet was even pulled up beside the bathroom, the cheapest toilet paper I've seen since primary school (like tracing paper) and a shower design that leaks on the floor no matter what angle you stand.
The best thing about this hotel and the hotels biggest asset is the staff, always pleasant and they couldn't do enough for you. The bar staff in particular were lovely. I think the staff are being sold short by their employers.....
Location is ok but its a fair walk to the district line although there are bus stops close to the hotel. Not much else in the area, Imperial War Museum is a 10 min walk away.
I got this at a good price online (which may explain why my room was tired and worn) but I wouldn't be happy if I payed full price. Stayed in a Doubletree last time and I'll probably look to stay there again next time.

Room Tip: Don't book on hot wire
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo.
At Novotel London Waterloo, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.
I would like to confirm that we have taken note of your comments and will address it accordingly.
We appreciate your feedback and I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Yours sincerely,