“Great hotel”

Novotel London Waterloo
Ranked #323 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here over London Marathon weekend. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Food in restaurant on Saturday evening was ok but standard. Breakfasts were great.

Slight problem with plumbing on Saturday evening (not ideal when having to get up at 5:15 am to get ready for London Marathon but beyond hotel control. Hotel apologetic and left fruit plate in our room. We didn't have a view as such (police station behind) but it wasn't an issue. Room was off the road and quiet and as sleep was vital concern this wasn't an issue. The plumbing was however an issue and we couldn't use the bathroom for over an hour. The receptionist said she would call us in 45 mins (this was at 10pm) to let us know it was working. I asked her not to as I would be sleeping and had to run 26.2 miles the next day! There was terrible noise from the pipes but I was so tired I fell asleep eventually.

The location was great. Lovely walk along the embankment with views of Houses of Parliament. Overall good stay and would use again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review following your stay at our hotel during the London marathon, we are very appreciative of your feedback.
I do apologize for the inconveniece regarding the plumbing.It has been a great pleasure having you staying with us and we will be very glad to welcome you back at the Novotel London Waterloo for your next run on the London marathon..
Bernard Panisse

Write a ReviewReviews (3,122)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed 1 night Sat 20th as daughter running in London Marathon next day.
Agree with most reviews, worn or lived in, well used, except for reception and bar and dining area.Terrible view from rooms,but food good, if expensive.
Femail bar staff excellent, very friendly, very helpful, very busy, the mail bar staff the opposite !
Excellent position in London for tourists, good underground car park.
Typical business man's hotel, served its purpose for us but would not want to spend any longer than 1 night.

Thank StanLee.-7

Thank you very much for this very nice review of our property following your stay with us during the London marathon.
I am glad to see that our central location, close to all local attractions was very convenient to you. I am also happy that you were satisfied by the bar and especially by our staff.
Finally I will like to inform you that you can book on request a room with view on Lambeth Palace.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your next stay in London.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed one night in April for business. Easy to find, but a longer walk from Waterloo than you may think, the Novotel is in an historic area, but with surprisingly little to do on the doorstep. Virtually opposite Lambeth Palace, the Novotel cuts a modern welcoming figure from the road.

Modern, cookie-cutter reception , with de-rigeur East-European helpful check in staff.Corridor to room 344 surprisingly grubby: more like a US motel than a London 4 star, but the room itself was much better. Spacious and airy despite having a rubbish view from the window, the room had everything you need. A commendation for the bed: one of the best I have used in years.

The downsides to this hotel come mainly in the form of services pricing: £19.50 for wifi usage with movies thrown in ? Wha ?!! £15.99 for a buffet breakfast ?

This profiteering leaves a sour taste in my mouth despite my otherwise pleasant stay,

I recommend walking down Lambeth road for a mile or so to a small collection of hostelries to sample rather better priced food and drink.

Room Tip: A short walk down Lambeth Road reveals a Japanese buffet, several italian restaurants and some pubs...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ormstein

Thank you very much you for taking the time to review our property online following your stay
It is such a great satisfaction to see that you appreciated our central location, close to all public transportation, making it the perfect base to discover London. I am also very pleased to read that you found the service being so friendly.
We started to redecorate all our corrdors and we should have shortly free WIFI available through the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your next stay in London.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had two dinners at the hotel and they were both delicious. Service and rooms were wonderful. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Great location in London for sight-seeing. Everyone in the hotel was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your review and for using us again. I will personally pass your wonderful comments to the Food and Beverage team, it is nice to be recognised and praised for the efforts we put in delivering good food and good service. I look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I travelled with my parents. We wanted to be close to the center of London and pay less for our stay. For a 4 stars hotel, it seemed to have pretty decent prices.

My only complaint was when I went to the front desk to ask for body lotion since their bath shower gel was getting my skin very dry. I had forgotten to buy before going back to the hotel, and it was late in the night. The front desk girl said that body lotion was only available for executive rooms however, she would check whether there was any in the bag. She left to search for the "bag" and returned saying there was any. I almost feel stupid in complaining about this, but sometimes little things matter. If an hotel does have body lotion for executive rooms, the hotel must have a stock of them. Anyways, other than that all was fine.

Location: Once in London, we were surprised for the closeness of the hotel to major London attractions. You can walk (within 15min) to London Eye, Westminster, Houses of Parliament. The Lamberth North tube is within 10 min however, I wouldn't recommend walking on this side of the city if you are by yourself. I would rather take the tube at Westminster station (~15min). You have buses from Victoria station (C10 and 507) that stop within 1 min from the hotel, and buses from Trafalgar Sq (#3) that stops right in front of the hotel.

Accommodations: overall was ok. We were three people, the room size was pretty good. I slept on the couch bed, not too bad. Room was too hot, and the only way to cool down the room was to open the window. Nice TV. Bring your own personal care, as their products are not the best.

I have stayed in many hotels/hostels, and I wouldn't give this hotel 4 stars. It would need some work. Carpets a bit worn, not very good quality toiletries, bathroom fan broken or inexistent, and even though the hotel has 2 computers at the entrance to use for free you have to pay for wifi in the room, these are some of the things it would be changed.

If your ONLY concerns are location and money, I would recommend this hotel. Accommodations are average/good. Breakfast was good and staff was very nice.

2  Thank TanyaLC12

Thank you very much for your kind review following your stay at our hotel, we are very appreciative of your feedback.
I am so pleased to read that our convenient location, on the doorstep to the River Thames and a couple of minutes’ walk away from Lambeth station was perfect for you.
We really look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your next trip in London.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We are Accor Club members and favour the Novotel chain as it always delivers good value and great service. This is a 4 star hotel in Waterloo just 8-10 mins walk along the Embankment to County Hall, London Eye, London Dungeons, Duck Tours, Namco Bar etc etc.

We were afforded a complimentary upgrade to Executive room (slippers, robes, ipod docking station, MP3 player access, safe & mini bar) for which we thank the team, all very polite & professional.

Always a good buffet breakfast help yourself continental and full english items available (bought separately £15.95 per person) but kids under 12 eat free. Free internet available in reception via 2 Apple Mac screens and an X-Box console free for the kids to use also. Plenty of lounge seating chairs & sofas.

Nice bar and restaurant 'Elements'.

Secure underground parking though I have to say £24 per 24hrs is a little excessive, especially if you are staying more than one night but that's London for you I guess! If you look at it as £1per hour it seems like good value. It would after all cost you far more to park on the street if you could find a space that is! It would be nice to see this included for guests though I think. Car park holds about 40 cars and is very tight to manoeuvre in.

No swimming pool at this Novotel but it does have a sauna, steam room & a small fitness gym with free weights etc. Tel. 0207 793 1010

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for very your kind comments and for this fantastic 5* rating, left here on Tripadvisor following your stay in our hotel.
First of all, I am particularly happy to see that we have exceeded your expectations and that your stay was so great starting from our pleasant staff, our breakfast and the lovely atmosphere in our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon In the Novotel London Waterloo.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Excellent stay. You can pretty much guarantee the standard when booking a Novotel. We usually stay in France and the rooms in London were the same but with adjoining rooms for the kids. Perfect for a family of five.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.