“good experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #310 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Dundee, United Kingdom
“good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Good food, friendly staff. My wife loved the rotary shoe polisher by the lift! A bit of noise during the day as the 5th floor is re-furbished.
10 mins from the Bakerloo line wasn't the most convenient but being south of the Thames keeps theprice down.
I will happily stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Bernard Panisse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sheffield, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Room a bit small once sofa bed in use.easy walk to many attractions such as Westminster London Eye and Southbank - West End takes about 20minutes walk. Modern hotel did not eat there but restaurant looked good! Staff friendly and helpful. Nice cafe for breakfast/ food is 2
mins walk away on the corner of Hercules Road worth a visit for traditional London fayre

1 Thank PMDBooth

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stay regularly in the City and use this hotel. It combines great value for money with a fab location for both business and leisure.
The rooms are clean and tidy with all the luxuries required. I request a room with a view at the rear of the hotel as it is quieter.
The dinner and breakfast food is great, served with a friendly smile.
Underground car parking available which is very secure but costly.
Have used the hotel on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hopefully this is a definitive review as I stay at this hotel all the time - in fact I think I may have reviewed it once before, but a new review is in order,

I stay here on business about once a month - sometimes for whole weeks at a time. I have just stayed during most of the week for the last two weeks.

The hotel is good overall [compared with many of the hotels in London], and the public rooms are smart and clean. However, the bedrooms are becoming *very* tired, so the refurbishment will be welcome. The problem with the bedrooms is that maintenance has adopted very much a 'minimum intervention' approach. Hence some recent problems I have encountered in practically all the many rooms I have stayed in include:

1. The toilets spit [soiled] water onto the floor when flushed [All the toilets in ALL the rooms do this - quite how this got past commissioning tests, I don't know]. Not very hygienic.

2. The bathroom sink overflow pipework systems practically all leak onto the shelf underneath - which stores the spare towels and tissues.

3. All the showers leak.

4. The aircon units are getting rather noisy and not very effective.

5. The last room I was in had a rocking toilet, where the toilet was not mounted properly. Looking behind the toilet at the soil pipe I was rather distressed at the 'inelagent appearance' of arrangements back there.

6. When you flush the toilet the flush button pops out and hits the toilet seat/cover knocking it shut - perhaps this is a design feature, but its a very annoying one.

7. Practically all the adjustable massage shower heads are seized shut [limescale?] so that the massage does not work - trivial I know, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

8. Lots of broken tiles and poor mastic repair work in the bathrooms.

In essence, reading back the list I have just written, most of the problems are in the bathroom and toilet [which, bizarrely, and inconveniently, are separate].

Having said all that, the rooms are large and comfortable and, generally clean and tidy.

The whole hotel is substantial concrete construction, so rooms tend to be nice and quiet, so sleeping is easy.

As others have commented, the hot food at breakfast is dire. bacon is bad early morning, but gets better towards the end of service as it gets browned more. The scrambled eggs are appalling - among the worst I have ever seen served after thirty years of UK and international business travel. The fried eggs aren't too good either, a kind of over-cooked and under-cooked [stringy white gel] amalgam. The potato rosti(s) [I think] have recently replaced hash browns [I may be wrong, as I don't eat a lot of breakfast]] and they are very good. The cold buffet is very good, though, A new 'conveyor belt' toaster has recently been provided, to replace the two Dualit-type toasters that were previously provided. This is good news as trying to compete to toast on a virtually domestic toaster was a nightmare. However, the new toaster is not set up right - one pass = too light [not toasted at all] and two passes = cremated. I used to think the restaurant staff were very attentive, but I think they now look bored, tired and browbeaten. Even though the tea and coffee tastes weird, and often you have to ask a few times for it, I dont feel like complaining, as I seem to feel sorry for the staff. In short I think the restaurant service staff should be re-motivated somehow [or more of them employed] and the chef retrained or re-deployed.

The bar staff in the evening are exceptionally friendly and attentive, and the bar has a great ambiance in the evening.

The strange thing about this hotel is that, even though I have been staying here for a couple of years now, each time i turn up its like they don't know who I am. They don't know my room preferences [a quiet room, as I am working the next day]. I don't get any special attention, upgrades, or anything, in fact. I am treated exactly the same as someone who stays one night and they will never see again.

You might ask, why do I stay here, well.....

1. It is a good hotel, more good than bad

2. It used to be very good, and has only recently started to decline

3. It is in a quite area, which I like,

4. It is a short stroll to Lambeth North Tube, at which there are some pubs, restaurants, shops etc.

I only ended up at this hotel a couple of years ago after the same sort of gradual degradation of service happened at the previous hotel I stayed at. And the same at the one before that. And the same before that,

I hope that the refurbishment goes well, I am going to persevere at the Novotel Lambeth for the time being because I genuinely like the hotel and its staff, and the area of Lambeth.

I also trust that the maintenance regime becomes rather more proactive once the refurbishment is complete.

1 Thank tigxytigxy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo.
I was disappointed to hear that we have not met your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel London Waterloo, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you for your honesty and for giving us the opportunity to improve our services and product. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We look forward to welcome you again at out hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good modern hotel. Nice rooms (although having the toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom is a bit odd.) Ate in the restaurant in the evening and had breakfast - both acceptable and better then averae for a hotel meal.

Fitness room is quite small - 2 runnign rachines, a cross trainer, a rowing machine and some weights.

I often have to stay near the Westminster and Millbank area for work. Hotels in the area are expensive. This has the advantage of being on the other side of the river just across Lambeth bridge.

Not much else in the area if you want to find somewhere else to eat.

Derby, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while on a business trip. The hotel was your average chain hotel, very clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly/ We were pre warned about renovation work and it didn't carry on after 5pm as we had been told. The room was spacious and clean as you would expect. The broadband charge was scandalous! £20 for 24 hours - more than I pay for month at home. Not sure how this is justified. Breakfast was disappointing. There was a very good choice, but the bread was stale (brown sliced - I assume you were supposed to toast it, but I don't like toast), the man serving tea and coffee was difficult to get his attention as there were so many people. When I did get a cup, it tasted awful - very cheap tea and luke warm. The beans tasted like they had been reheated several times, and the bacon was tasteless. In their favour there were lots of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, cold meats and cheese as well as croissant and pain au chocolat. Disappointing when you are being charge £16 each!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Thank you for pointing out your disappointment on some of the breakfast items.
I am pleased to announce that we are hoping to have Wifi complementary towards the summer.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel London Waterloo and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Studio Ciity
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is clean and spacious. It is modern and you feel safe in this hotel. Hotel staffs are great as well. We had a view of the london eye and big ben so I can not complain about that. Location is great although it is far away from groceries, restaurants and shopping areas. If you want a more quiet vacation, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kembaaa
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, January 18, 2013