“Good and being Refurbished”

Novotel London Waterloo
Ranked #314 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hopefully this is a definitive review as I stay at this hotel all the time - in fact I think I may have reviewed it once before, but a new review is in order,

I stay here on business about once a month - sometimes for whole weeks at a time. I have just stayed during most of the week for the last two weeks.

The hotel is good overall [compared with many of the hotels in London], and the public rooms are smart and clean. However, the bedrooms are becoming *very* tired, so the refurbishment will be welcome. The problem with the bedrooms is that maintenance has adopted very much a 'minimum intervention' approach. Hence some recent problems I have encountered in practically all the many rooms I have stayed in include:

1. The toilets spit [soiled] water onto the floor when flushed [All the toilets in ALL the rooms do this - quite how this got past commissioning tests, I don't know]. Not very hygienic.

2. The bathroom sink overflow pipework systems practically all leak onto the shelf underneath - which stores the spare towels and tissues.

3. All the showers leak.

4. The aircon units are getting rather noisy and not very effective.

5. The last room I was in had a rocking toilet, where the toilet was not mounted properly. Looking behind the toilet at the soil pipe I was rather distressed at the 'inelagent appearance' of arrangements back there.

6. When you flush the toilet the flush button pops out and hits the toilet seat/cover knocking it shut - perhaps this is a design feature, but its a very annoying one.

7. Practically all the adjustable massage shower heads are seized shut [limescale?] so that the massage does not work - trivial I know, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

8. Lots of broken tiles and poor mastic repair work in the bathrooms.

In essence, reading back the list I have just written, most of the problems are in the bathroom and toilet [which, bizarrely, and inconveniently, are separate].

Having said all that, the rooms are large and comfortable and, generally clean and tidy.

The whole hotel is substantial concrete construction, so rooms tend to be nice and quiet, so sleeping is easy.

As others have commented, the hot food at breakfast is dire. bacon is bad early morning, but gets better towards the end of service as it gets browned more. The scrambled eggs are appalling - among the worst I have ever seen served after thirty years of UK and international business travel. The fried eggs aren't too good either, a kind of over-cooked and under-cooked [stringy white gel] amalgam. The potato rosti(s) [I think] have recently replaced hash browns [I may be wrong, as I don't eat a lot of breakfast]] and they are very good. The cold buffet is very good, though, A new 'conveyor belt' toaster has recently been provided, to replace the two Dualit-type toasters that were previously provided. This is good news as trying to compete to toast on a virtually domestic toaster was a nightmare. However, the new toaster is not set up right - one pass = too light [not toasted at all] and two passes = cremated. I used to think the restaurant staff were very attentive, but I think they now look bored, tired and browbeaten. Even though the tea and coffee tastes weird, and often you have to ask a few times for it, I dont feel like complaining, as I seem to feel sorry for the staff. In short I think the restaurant service staff should be re-motivated somehow [or more of them employed] and the chef retrained or re-deployed.

The bar staff in the evening are exceptionally friendly and attentive, and the bar has a great ambiance in the evening.

The strange thing about this hotel is that, even though I have been staying here for a couple of years now, each time i turn up its like they don't know who I am. They don't know my room preferences [a quiet room, as I am working the next day]. I don't get any special attention, upgrades, or anything, in fact. I am treated exactly the same as someone who stays one night and they will never see again.

You might ask, why do I stay here, well.....

1. It is a good hotel, more good than bad

2. It used to be very good, and has only recently started to decline

3. It is in a quite area, which I like,

4. It is a short stroll to Lambeth North Tube, at which there are some pubs, restaurants, shops etc.

I only ended up at this hotel a couple of years ago after the same sort of gradual degradation of service happened at the previous hotel I stayed at. And the same at the one before that. And the same before that,

I hope that the refurbishment goes well, I am going to persevere at the Novotel Lambeth for the time being because I genuinely like the hotel and its staff, and the area of Lambeth.

I also trust that the maintenance regime becomes rather more proactive once the refurbishment is complete.

1  Thank tigxytigxy
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo.
I was disappointed to hear that we have not met your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel London Waterloo, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you for your honesty and for giving us the opportunity to improve our services and product. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We look forward to welcome you again at out hotel.

There are newer reviews for Novotel London Waterloo

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good modern hotel. Nice rooms (although having the toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom is a bit odd.) Ate in the restaurant in the evening and had breakfast - both acceptable and better then averae for a hotel meal.

Fitness room is quite small - 2 runnign rachines, a cross trainer, a rowing machine and some weights.

I often have to stay near the Westminster and Millbank area for work. Hotels in the area are expensive. This has the advantage of being on the other side of the river just across Lambeth bridge.

Not much else in the area if you want to find somewhere else to eat.

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while on a business trip. The hotel was your average chain hotel, very clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly/ We were pre warned about renovation work and it didn't carry on after 5pm as we had been told. The room was spacious and clean as you would expect. The broadband charge was scandalous! £20 for 24 hours - more than I pay for month at home. Not sure how this is justified. Breakfast was disappointing. There was a very good choice, but the bread was stale (brown sliced - I assume you were supposed to toast it, but I don't like toast), the man serving tea and coffee was difficult to get his attention as there were so many people. When I did get a cup, it tasted awful - very cheap tea and luke warm. The beans tasted like they had been reheated several times, and the bacon was tasteless. In their favour there were lots of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, cold meats and cheese as well as croissant and pain au chocolat. Disappointing when you are being charge £16 each!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Thank you for pointing out your disappointment on some of the breakfast items.
I am pleased to announce that we are hoping to have Wifi complementary towards the summer.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel London Waterloo and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is clean and spacious. It is modern and you feel safe in this hotel. Hotel staffs are great as well. We had a view of the london eye and big ben so I can not complain about that. Location is great although it is far away from groceries, restaurants and shopping areas. If you want a more quiet vacation, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kembaaa
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Found this hotel by chance after a search as the usual hotel i use was fully booked. Having stayed twice and much enjoyed at the Novotel in Brugge - Belgium. Thought I would give this one ago and was very pleased. Great location a minutes walk from Lambeth bridge you are just around the corner from the heart of London. You can take a pleasant walk a be in Westminster in 15 minutes and from there another pleasant walk will get you to Trafalgar square just as quickly.

The hotel is very good, rooms good with comfortable double bed, sofa/sofabed coffee/tea making facitiles, mini bar, personal safe, iron & ironing board. So virtually everything that you need. There is a down side re the cost of the WIFI access, however I believe that is being addressed this year. And I must say that parts of my room were a little tired due to wear and tear so could do with a spruce up, but did this spoil my trip no.

Would happily go back again, and am already thinking of booking back again in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul T

Dear Paul,

I am pleased to inform you that we have schedule painting and light refurbishment work to be done in the bedrooms, throughout the year.
Indeed that the free Wifi access is in the process of happening towards the summer time.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

On the south side of the river, just down the road from the Imperial War Museum and Parliament opposite, location wise it's not the best if you want the sights and sounds of the West End. However, it's within walking distance of a few tube stops which are 15/20 minutes away from Leicester Square.

Facilities wise the room was a fair size, with a comfortable double bed and a pull out sofa bed. A modern bathroom, tea/coffee and the usual average UK tv. But, again, NO FREE WIFI! For the price of this room I would expect free wifi, but yet again yet another rip off.

The food was average, a mixture of continental and cooked (which was very poor). I was there at the beginning of January and it was full of (mainly French) tourists - breakfast times were a nightmare getting a table and it seemed an age getting a coffee from one of the overworked staff there.

The staff I did interact with were very professional and polite, however if it wasn't for the fact that this was a business trip I wouldn't choose this hotel again.

1  Thank ell33

Dear Guest,

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.
I am proud to announce that we are aiming to have free Wifi access towards the summer time.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is just a little out of the centre but still very convenient. It is just across the river from Milbank and about a 20 minute walk from victoria and 110 minutes from waterloo. There is nearby tube access. The position means that the hotel is very quiet for central london. The hotel is comfortable. the rooms are larger than in many equivalent hotels with a good sized desk and room for a bed-sofa. The shower is in the bath but the step in and out is much less than is usual and I found it easy even with reduced mobility. There was a limited range of bath products (no moisturiser) but the ones provided were fine. The bar I liked, lots of different types of seating, (upright, sofas, tables ) and plenty of space for conversation. The menu was reasonable and reasonably priced for this type of hotel. All in all it was fine. BUT the lack of free wi-fi is a real bore. this is a necessity now. The cost of £19 for unlimited broadband takes away the value for money as most places now include this in the price. So add nearly £20 when comparing prices. I am told that there is a contract in place that makes the provision of free wifi impossible until a new deal is done and that this is likely to be the middle of the year. For me it means that i won't use the hotel until this is sorted as i it is too inconvenient. (and I resent paying!)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to anouce that we are aiming to provide free Wifi access towards the summer.